Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

brainydoctor
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Mar 2016, 9:18 pm

I'm not sure this is in the right location of the forum, but here it goes:

I want to become interested in learning either the German or Chinese language, but I have no idea how to do so.

I'm currently obsessed with politics and economics, but I want to become obsessed with learning either the German or Chinese language.

Can somebody please help me as to how to transition my love/obsession with politics/economics to have a love/obsession for/with learning the German or Chinese language.

Or, does anyone know of any really fun computer games where I can learn Chinese or German at the same time, especially Chinese?

I know it sounds strange, and please don't get upset if this is on the wrong part of this forum, but this is what I ask.

Thank you!

luan78zao
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Mar 2016, 2:20 am

Having studied both I think there's really no substitute for a traditional classroom, because that puts you in close contact with a native speaker. If you're done with your regular schooling, check your local community college or evening college.

If that's impossible for some reason, the Rosetta Stone software is supposed to be good if you have the bucks. (I wonder if libraries have it?)

It's an odd either/or; German has a complex grammatical structure, with long lists of exceptions to every rule, but of course to an English speaker much of the vocabulary is familiar. Mandarin's grammar is absurdly simple, but then there's the characters, thousands of 'em, and until you know a few hundred they seem like random squiggles.

Viel Glück!
祝你好运!

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission – which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." – Ayn Rand

Yigeren
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2016, 2:26 am

I've been teaching myself Mandarin for several months through various apps, with the aid of some websites and YouTube. I plan on paying for something better once I get past the beginner level.

In my opinion, Mandarin Chinese is much easier, more logical, and simpler than German, from what I know of the language. Even the characters have a logic to them.

I have no idea how to get interested in something like that. I've always been interested in languages since childhood.

brainydoctor
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Mar 2016, 1:09 pm

Thank you very much.

My local community college offers only one Chinese course for Autumn of 2016. I have another option, that is, attending a much larger four year university near me, but that's so expensive and I don't want to pay so much for one class just to see if I'm interested in it. I completely agree that Chinese Mandarin grammar is incredibly simple, while German is very complex. I think I'll study Chinese, I just feel stuck. I've tried Rosetta Stone, it didn't work for me. I've tried Pimsleur, too boring for me, personally speaking. I've tried Memrise, still I had a lack of motivation and devoted interest to keep at it. I just feel so stuck.

Has anyone ever heard of Assimil, for Chinese? They're a French language company, and I was wondering if anyone here has used that and how it worked for them.

Yigeren
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2016, 3:06 pm

I use three free apps. HelloChinese, ChineseSkill, and Pleco Chinese Dictionary. I use one paid app to learn the characters, Chinese Artword academy. I wouldn't bother with that expensive computer software.

The apps I use are fine for beginners, and I can go at my own pace. I watch YouTube videos as well and go online to look up the specifics of grammar. I may also purchase a book for learning grammar. I am very good with teaching myself, however.

When I reach intermediate level I will pay for a service and start watching programs in Mandarin. I don't plan on taking a traditional class. They move too slowly.

brainydoctor
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Mar 2016, 5:41 pm

Yigeren wrote:
I use three free apps. HelloChinese, ChineseSkill, and Pleco Chinese Dictionary. I use one paid app to learn the characters, Chinese Artword academy. I wouldn't bother with that expensive computer software.

The apps I use are fine for beginners, and I can go at my own pace. I watch YouTube videos as well and go online to look up the specifics of grammar. I may also purchase a book for learning grammar. I am very good with teaching myself, however.

When I reach intermediate level I will pay for a service and start watching programs in Mandarin. I don't plan on taking a traditional class. They move too slowly.

I don't know how to download these apps, I only have a laptop, do you know of anything else that might work. How might, I as beginner, start learning Chinese through a fun medium, like a strategic role playing game for instance?

Thank you!

Yigeren
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2016, 9:31 pm

Well YouTube is available on a laptop. I only know what I've tried. I like to learn with programs and apps rather than in any traditional way. Some people Skype with others to practice a language.

I just started teaching myself one day, so I don't know. I think I started with YouTube. And learned how to pronounce pinyin, perfected the tones, etc. That's where I would start. It only took me a week or two to get the tones right.

Yigeren
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2016, 9:38 pm

Try this one. She has a few free videos but her site requires a paid subscription. She gives out sample videos to entice people to pay for the full set of videos.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2016, 9:43 pm

Are you asking "how to learn something"?

Or are you asking "how to get interested in something"?

If its the latter I suppose you could tie it to a current interest in your mind.

If you're into economics you could imagine yourself as a 21st century business tycoon getting in on the ground floor with China by learning their language. .

brainydoctor
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Mar 2016, 10:09 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Are you asking "how to learn something"?

Or are you asking "how to get interested in something"?

If its the latter I suppose you could tie it to a current interest in your mind.

If you're into economics you could imagine yourself as a 21st century business tycoon getting in on the ground floor with China by learning their language. .

I'm asking how to get interested in something, learning the Chinese language.

No offense, but I don't know if imagining myself in that scenario would work for me. Sorry, but thanks for the advice anyways.

I would really love if there was a role playing computer game, like where you have to create a life for you character, do errands, etc., all while learning Mandarin Chinese. Does anyone know of anything like this?

Yigeren
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2016, 12:56 pm

No. Maybe something for children. But it would be very basic.