Difficulty telling left from right when copying others

Page 3 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

lostgirl1986
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2012, 2:36 pm

I have that too. I can never do exercise videos, Wii Fit or those exercise things out of magazines because the left and right always confuse me and I think too much causing me to stop exercising.

SyphonFilter
Veteran
Veteran

Location: The intersection of Inkopolis’ Plaza & Square where the Turf Wars lie.

07 Mar 2012, 2:58 pm

I so have this problem.

AnOldHFA
Raven
Raven

07 Mar 2012, 8:54 pm

When I was 6 the fingers on my right hand got caught in a lawn mower... So, it helped me learn my right from left... If I am not thinking about it, I am clueles with right and left...

TheHouseholdCat
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2012, 8:58 pm

I mix it up because of the ambiguity. Left and right depends on the speaker's perspective.

I find it irritating that your mirror image is not how other people see you, for example. ^^

"It's how they see things. It's a way of bringing class to an environment, and I say that pejoratively because, obviously, good music is good music however it's created, however it's motivated." - Thomas Newman

nirrti_rachelle
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2012, 8:58 pm

I knew I had a problem when my brother was three years old and could tell his left from his right better than me at 25.

Danimal
Toucan
Toucan

07 Mar 2012, 10:29 pm

I thought I was the only one with this difficulty.
What makes it more challenging is that I am ambidextrous. I can write with both hands, but I write better with my right hand. Otherwise, I use both hands equally well doing tasks. Right and left is more important to other people than they are to me.

riot_gun
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

08 Mar 2012, 1:37 am

I don't have trouble telling right from left, but I do have trouble mimicking people. I'm completely incapable of playing any of the dance games for Kinect.

goodwitchy
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2012, 2:32 am

Yes.
In Tai Chi, since the motions are slower in speed, I eventually learned, albeit slowly.
In an aerobic step class, I had to bow out - it was very embarrassing.

Autism Spectrum quotient: 41, Empathy Quotient: 19

TheHouseholdCat
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2012, 7:22 am

Danimal wrote:
I thought I was the only one with this difficulty.
What makes it more challenging is that I am ambidextrous. I can write with both hands, but I write better with my right hand. Otherwise, I use both hands equally well doing tasks. Right and left is more important to other people than they are to me.

You're expected to be either right or left handed. I think that probably many more people have ambidextrous traits than we actually believe.

"It's how they see things. It's a way of bringing class to an environment, and I say that pejoratively because, obviously, good music is good music however it's created, however it's motivated." - Thomas Newman

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2012, 8:23 am

Mayel wrote:
Yes. And it's bad for dance, aerobic, or Yoga/Pilates classes.
I've also read people with dyscalculia have that problem. I'm bad at maths so....
Then again others probably aren't dyslexic or have dyscalculia.

I have the left/right mirroring problem too and also have dyscalcula. I have also read that they are connected. The way I get around it is by copying somebody standing next to me (so it won't be mirroring) instead of somebody standing in front of me. If it's one-on-one demonstration of how to do something, I move next to the person and explain it's easier if I'm next to them instead of in front of them. If it's group demonstration (exercise class like yoga) I ignore the instructor and copy the person next to me.

TheSunAlsoRises
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2012, 1:41 pm

Let's just say, Simon Says was not one of my favorite childhood games.

TheSunAlsoRises

TalusJumper
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Mar 2012, 10:08 pm

I also get my left and right mixed up as well other similar words (like vertical and horizontal). It took me years to theorize the reason why. Words like these have no physical connection- my mind can't connect them to anything tangible. I struggle with all opposite word pairs like this. I think "right" = direction =which way= ring on left hand so right is opposite.

I have very spatial thought processes but my imagination and creativity skills are lacking. I struggle to get my thought into words (this post took way to long to write). I can't help but think it is all related somehow- the people that I know that have better communication skills than me don't have this problem. :roll:

Mayel
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Mar 2012, 2:29 am

Janissy wrote:
I have the left/right mirroring problem too and also have dyscalcula. I have also read that they are connected. The way I get around it is by copying somebody standing next to me (so it won't be mirroring) instead of somebody standing in front of me. If it's one-on-one demonstration of how to do something, I move next to the person and explain it's easier if I'm next to them instead of in front of them. If it's group demonstration (exercise class like yoga) I ignore the instructor and copy the person next to me.

I actually do the same and will copy the person next to me. Unless it's a dance class with complex and rapid movements, then I'll look at the instructor and if I use the wrong directions....until it's not obvious it doesn't matter so much.

And horizontal and vertical...I mixed them up frequently, as well. But when I thought about horizontal as in Horizon which is flat ....I understood its meaning, now I always have to go through this thought process before I understand either horizontal or vertical (which is the exclusion of horizontal).

levicorpus
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 Mar 2012, 1:11 am

I'm terrible at copying movements, especially if it involves moving multiple body parts.
Logically when I see the movement and hear the instruction I know where my left and right are, but when it comes to actually moving I get confused and get thrown off. If someone told me to balance on my right leg and raise my left arm, I'm likely to be able to do both easily when separate, but I start mixing up sides/actions when trying to do the two things together. This is especially true if the action has to be repeated multiple times and/or done quickly.

It's really annoying when I try to do exercise videos/WiiFit/etc :(

mglosenger
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Mar 2012, 1:23 am

Right and left are pretty bizarre. When I was younger I couldn't remember which was which but somehow now I remember. Still, I can't say how left is different from right exactly, except that it's on the other side.. which seems like an incredibly minor difference