Can't assume that universities are worse for sexual violence

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2016, 6:27 pm

Some activism in universities is based on the idea of an epidemic of sexual violence in universities, and there is a Particular culture around it.

Yet the figure for 1995 to 2013 show that reported sexual assault is less than outside universities and isn't implying an epidemic. It was less that 1%.

You could argue that university students are less likely to report. I'm not sure how you determine that. I can think of some reasons, however I can apply these to other examples not in the university setting.

So to me it must be an unknown.

Some of the social science that was used to defend this idea includes definitions of sexual assault that fall outside of the legal definition.

The yes mean yes is well meaning, and is good advice. However the law is no, mean no for sound reasons. Some behind yes mean yes literature on a state/county level the tried to make a legal requirement of distribution on campus, implying that the laws was yes mean yes, and some people seem to think it is.

The 1 in 5 figure is unsubstantiated.

If two people are engaging is sexual activity without violence or coercion the are a compos mentis / aware of what is happening and able to consent, then under the law they have consented. If you could argue this is not the case, you could argue that neither have consented, and they have sexually assaulted each other.

I think this is important not becuase I don't think we should be doing something about sexual assault, but becuase i think nationwide approaches to talking sexual assault are more important, rather then assuming an epidemic an particular setting based on little evidence and stereotypes.

Some people will say this diminish the experience of victims, however what about he victims outside that setting?

Yes they may be some specific behaviors to look out for in a particular settings, but there will be profiles an modus, that will operate across any number of settings. So dealing with universities in isolation is foolish.

Also some of these criminals have pathological issues. Education and is important, but many of these people know what they are doing is wrong already. So it not just a question of telling them not to do it. People do need to learn to respect boundaries, however they idea that majority of adults in a large demography need to be taught not to rape doesn't make sense. Rapists are not a majority.

sources:
http://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/rsavcaf9513.pdf

Mongoose1
Raven
Raven

20 Mar 2016, 12:59 am

And the point of this psychobabble is??????? :roll:

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2016, 10:14 am

Your profile shows you are from "London", I will assume England and may not be familiar with US universities.

Many universities in the US have self-contained campuses at which students not only attend lectures, but also sleep, eat, attend concerts and cinema, etc. An example would be the University of Idaho in Moscow, which has an "undergraduate" population of approximately 10,000 whereas the population of Moscow is a bit over twice that.

So you have a group of 18-22 year-olds with little responsibility beyond study, living away from their parents for the first time, and free to have sex with whomever they wish. Plus the high legal drinking age means that alcohol is consumed in private and primarily for the intoxicating effect.

You can well imagine that in such an environment, young folks go a little crazy, I don't think I really need to explain in detail. Quite often, one or the other loses control (if male then they can easily be accused of rape ex posteriori) or there are regrets, or the fact that excessive alcohol consumption was involved, and you get the general idea.

So this study having been conducted in the US, the numbers given shouldn't surprise anyone. Of course, it can all be seen as a matter of semantics, but that's a different discussion.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2016, 4:18 pm

Not really understanding the unnecessarily patronising responses. Too challenging subject?

I'm well aware of what goes on in universities. Including US frat culture. I also understand UK university culture which has some similarities and differences.

The evidence doesn't confirm the assumption that universities are worse for sexual violence, despite the perception. That is the point. These are US statistics.

I also hinted at the point, which is if you make assumptions about certain types of crimes you divert resources and expertise from where they are needed.

Assumptions and perceptions about crime are very common place. It is something that criminologists are well aware of. So regardless for what you perceive a culture to be like you should still follow the evidence.

The point is that their has been a movement with universities recently which has pushed draconian ideas like segregation, and censorship. Using ideas such as "safe spaces" and the misappropriation of PTSD. Expert in trauma don't condone either the use of safe spaces for treatment of PTSD. They also point out the PTSD is only one possible outcome of traumatic events, it is far from enviable, and this label has been abused for political ends.

Part of the narrative is an "epidemic" in sexual violence in universities. Whether or not people are freer sexually in university is different question to if. You can't assume that is that has got worse of it is at epidemic levels.

The other point is sexual violence need to seen with the specificity of the offense and in the wider context. Only seeing this in the context of a university culture, risks misunderstanding the pathology of sexual offenders.

wilburforce
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2016, 6:09 pm

0_equals_true wrote:
Not really understanding the unnecessarily patronising responses. Too challenging subject?

I'm well aware of what goes on in universities. Including US frat culture. I also understand UK university culture which has some similarities and differences.

The evidence doesn't confirm the assumption that universities are worse for sexual violence, despite the perception. That is the point. These are US statistics.

I also hinted at the point, which is if you make assumptions about certain types of crimes you divert resources and expertise from where they are needed.

Assumptions and perceptions about crime are very common place. It is something that criminologists are well aware of. So regardless for what you perceive a culture to be like you should still follow the evidence.

The point is that their has been a movement with universities recently which has pushed draconian ideas like segregation, and censorship. Using ideas such as "safe spaces" and the misappropriation of PTSD. Expert in trauma don't condone either the use of safe spaces for treatment of PTSD. They also point out the PTSD is only one possible outcome of traumatic events, it is far from enviable, and this label has been abused for political ends.

Part of the narrative is an "epidemic" in sexual violence in universities. Whether or not people are freer sexually in university is different question to if. You can't assume that is that has got worse of it is at epidemic levels.

The other point is sexual violence need to seen with the specificity of the offense and in the wider context. Only seeing this in the context of a university culture, risks misunderstanding the pathology of sexual offenders.

I don't think anyone who is discussing the sexual violence on university campuses thinks that is the only place that sexual violence happens, or the only place that sexual violence happens that is worth talking about. I have never seen anyone put forth this opinion, so I'm not sure what you are arguing against. It's a problem on campuses just like it's a problem everywhere else there are people--if talking about university campuses gets more people talking about the problem of sexual assault in general and how to prevent it, isn't that a good thing?

I don't understand this idea that if people are talking about or concerned about one particular issue, that precludes them from being able to consider other issues or the same issue but in a different context. People in general can be concerned about and discuss many different things concurrently, it's not an "either you care about sexual assault on campuses or you care about sexual assault everywhere else but campuses, but never the twain shall meet" kind of argument like you are trying to make it out to be. No one reasonable thinks you can't consider the general problem of sexual assault while also considering sexual assault among students on campuses as well.

(Note to Moderators: my warning number is wrong on my profile but apparently can't be fixed so I will note here that it is actually 2, not 3--the warning issued to me on Aug 20 2016 was a mistake but I've been told it can't be removed.)

slenkar
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2016, 8:28 pm

The 1 in 5 figure comes from surveys taken at several universities.

They included forced kissing as sexual assault, along with touching -a separate category for groping- so I can't imagine what sexual assault in the form of touching consists of.

So, outside of university women are 1.2 -1.9 times more likely to be the victim of a sexual crime , probably because sexual assault in university is mostly just prank type stuff like stealing a kiss

In the report comparing students to non students the definition of sexual assault is the proper legal definition
No kissing or touching is included, just groping.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2016, 1:34 pm

wilburforce wrote:
I don't understand this idea that if people are talking about or concerned about one particular issue, that precludes them from being able to consider other issues or the same issue but in a different context.

Groups have been talking about a rape epidemic and a rape culture in universities. The problem is the evidence doesn't support either of these ideas.

So yes if people make claims they need to be backed up. Otherwise it is misleading people.

slenkar
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2016, 1:56 pm

If you go on Google and look for sexual assault at university you see stories of men taking universities to court for not allowing them due process.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2016, 2:34 pm

I could never understand how rapists can stand themselves. If I was capable of raping someone I would feel terrible at using someone that way. But some people seem to be pleased at having been able to get away with it. I mean, the whole "get her drunk and have sex" thing. Is sex really more important than respect for another person?

slenkar
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2016, 2:55 pm

If someone started out with that intent at the start of the night that would be sinister,
There are drunken hookups where both parties are drunk and then the male is accused of rape to avoid embarrassment.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2016, 3:08 pm

slenkar wrote:
If someone started out with that intent at the start of the night that would be sinister,
There are drunken hookups where both parties are drunk and then the male is accused of rape to avoid embarrassment.

That's true, but it's also true that people will take advantage of other's incapacity sometimes. I've been on the receiving end of that and it's unpleasant. Not at university though. I was a bookworm back then.

wilburforce
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2016, 3:21 pm

0_equals_true wrote:
wilburforce wrote:
I don't understand this idea that if people are talking about or concerned about one particular issue, that precludes them from being able to consider other issues or the same issue but in a different context.

Groups have been talking about a rape epidemic and a rape culture in universities. The problem is the evidence doesn't support either of these ideas.

So yes if people make claims they need to be backed up. Otherwise it is misleading people.

Isn't there a serious problem with sexual assault at universities just like there is a serious problem with sexual assault everywhere, and most especially for young women whether they are in university or not? The stats I have seen say young women between the ages of 16-25 are the most prevalent targets of sexual assault--and many of the adult women I have spoken to in real life and online that were assaulted when they were younger were assaulted at college/university (and a few in high school). So I guess it seems to me, as a survivor of sexual violence (I was 17 years old, not yet in college), like a relevant conversation to be having.

If you don't feel like it is relevant to you or your life, then don't participate in the discussions. Why go looking for arguments about things that don't apply to you or your life? I don't get it. Why do you care if people talk about this problem--why do you need to approve of the way people discuss this problem if it doesn't apply to you?

(Note to Moderators: my warning number is wrong on my profile but apparently can't be fixed so I will note here that it is actually 2, not 3--the warning issued to me on Aug 20 2016 was a mistake but I've been told it can't be removed.)

slenkar
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2016, 4:32 pm

Taking advantage of someone's incapacity is wrong and is in my opinion the result of a criminal or sick mind.

The stat of 1 in 5 sexually assaulted in college is a large number,
It causes worried professors to deny due process to men and to hold 'teach men not to rape classes'

The stat is inflated and misleading though as indicated by kissing and any unwanted touching *being considered sexual assault.

*Unwanted touching could be someone putting their arm around someone without asking.

It's been proven that sexual assault is more likely for non students.
So any attempts to lower sexual assault should be concentrated on the world outside of college more.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2016, 5:03 pm

wilburforce wrote:
Isn't there a serious problem with sexual assault at universities just like there is a serious problem with sexual assault everywhere, and most especially for young women whether they are in university or not?

The figures say 1%. That is a problem sure, 1% too much. It could be higher, but we need to understand the problem properly not base it on perceptions.

As I said before, criminologists are fighting perceptions of crimes all the time.

wilburforce wrote:
If you don't feel like it is relevant to you or your life, then don't participate in the discussions. Why go looking for arguments about things that don't apply to you or your life? I don't get it. Why do you care if people talk about this problem--why do you need to approve of the way people discuss this problem if it doesn't apply to you?

A policy has real conveniences, and perception has shaped crime policy in the past. Example: Garotters Act 1863. Caused by media hysteria. A very specific modus of offense was deliberately exaggerated by newspapers in order to increase sales, driving mass hysteria leading to the act. Perception is a powerful thing.

Who said it is not relevant to my life? Is this an attempt to exclude me? It is relevant to everybody's life.

How about actually discussing it, instead of discounting the point made as if I don't care about sexual assault. Obviously I care. I care about justice.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2016, 5:23 pm

androbot01 wrote:
I could never understand how rapists can stand themselves. If I was capable of raping someone I would feel terrible at using someone that way. But some people seem to be pleased at having been able to get away with it. I mean, the whole "get her drunk and have sex" thing. Is sex really more important than respect for another person?

Serial rapists don't feel remorse normally, they enjoy they have power over their victims.

Date rape sometimes is different, but not necessarily.

I guess the answer is if they did, they wouldn't want to do it in the first place.

I have never understood how pedophiles network with other pedophiles. They must know this is taboo, and discussing it openly would draw attention to themselves. Yet they seem to find each other.

I can understand that through anonymous means they can send signals, but as at certain point they have to break cover. That must indicate that they don't fear or are no ashamed. At least those offenders.

I know there are some that seek treatment voluntarily who do feel ashamed.

wilburforce
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2016, 6:42 pm

0_equals_true wrote:
wilburforce wrote:
Isn't there a serious problem with sexual assault at universities just like there is a serious problem with sexual assault everywhere, and most especially for young women whether they are in university or not?

The figures say 1%. That is a problem sure, 1% too much. It could be higher, but we need to understand the problem properly not base it on perceptions.

As I said before, criminologists are fighting perceptions of crimes all the time.

1% of what? Are you saying only 1% of women experience sexual assault? Because that number is lower than any stats I have seen, and from my own personal experience plus the experiences of all the women in my family and friends when I was younger would suggest the number is actually much higher than 1%. I would guess that way more than 1% of the women on WP have experienced sexual assault.

0_equals_true wrote:
wilburforce wrote:

A policy has real conveniences, and perception has shaped crime policy in the past. Example: Garotters Act 1863. Caused by media hysteria. A very specific modus of offense was deliberately exaggerated by newspapers in order to increase sales, driving mass hysteria leading to the act. Perception is a powerful thing.

Who said it is not relevant to my life? Is this an attempt to exclude me? It is relevant to everybody's life.

How about actually discussing it, instead of discounting the point made as if I don't care about sexual assault. Obviously I care. I care about justice.

I just meant that if you aren't a student at university/college, how is the issue of sexual assault specifically on campuses relevant to you to the extent that you need to debate about it on the internet? It seems like a lot of people who want to talk about sexual assault on the internet want to stop victims from talking about their experiences or discount victims and claim it's not as much of a problem as it is, and I don't see how that is productive or conducive to anything good. Sexual assault victims care about justice, too.