Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2016, 3:10 pm

I don't actually hate it. I just hate that the prices are going up despite the gas prices going down. They're going to get rid of transfers and they already got rid of disability bus passes.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2016, 2:44 am

living out in the sticks, there is relatively little public transit out here.

gooseman
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Mar 2016, 4:06 am

I live in the third world... some people can't afford anything but public transportation, here. I remember the first time I'd gotten into a bus with a couple of friends of mine. When it was our turn to step off, the bus was so packed it took me a minute to reach the stepping board (that's what you use to get on/get off the bus--not sure if you, in the west, call it by another name)... so, there I am and I'm saying to my self, it's alright--just jump out like the rest of the guys, I'm with (people get off *moving* busses here, as well as getting on them--it's an Art, really). Of course, I'd never done this before (I used to live in the west) so, not thinking I just jumped off... one small mistake, though. I'd stepped out facing the wrong way. So, started walking backwards as fast as I could just to avoid falling... fun times.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2016, 1:58 pm

I just took transit for about 6 months. I was going to wait until Summer to buy another car.. but got so sick of taking transit that I bought a car a couple weeks ago, insured it for a year, and gave my monthly transit pass away to my little cousin.

Now I get to sleep in a half hour or so later, arrive to work 20-30mins earlier, and get home an hour earlier. Plus I don't have to stand up on the way home. I'll probably be healthier for it, too. More sleep, less exposure to cold/flu germs.

Fares are about to go up again? Even at the current rate of $170/month it's not exactly super cheap. Well, it is compared to driving a newer car or something that isn't fuel efficient.. but by buying a $1K car & paying for a year's insurance up front I pretty much only have to pay for gas and oil (+maintenance, of course, as things are needed) which even driving ~600+ km/week is still only ~$200ish/month for gas/oil.

Add in insurance and maintenance and it's about double the price to drive a cheap beater than take the bus... but saves 2 hours a day and lets me go to the beach or run errands after work. Well worth it not to have to be confined to our horribly inefficient transit system.

Transit only really truly works out well for those with short commutes within the city who never drive anywhere anyways - and that's a lot of people in Vancouver.. which is why there are more Car2Go members in Vancouver than any other city in the world at over 100K now. I guess it also works for people who cannot afford to drive. Or cannot drive for whatever reason. But basically, if you CAN drive it's worth it, IMO.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2016, 3:39 pm

@ OP: You're not the only one who feels this way. Next year in Portland, the public transportation system will no longer allow riders to pay with cash. Instead, the public transportation will force riders to pay for fares through an electronic fare system.

dcj123
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2016, 3:54 pm

Nashville has decent transportation for such a small city, so no complaints.

It never ceases to amaze me the number of idiots that get drunk on the bus system and cause a big scene though. I mean I have been drunk on buses but I don't act like these idiots. Anyone who has rode public transportation knows what I am talking about.

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2016, 4:21 pm

Our local public transportation just goes from bad to worse. The services for people outside the main towns, like where I live, are hopeless. Nearly all services that used to connect the main towns have also been severely cut back. And the time of the last bus of the day on every route has got earlier and earlier with every timetable change. The cost of a night out in the main town is now dominated by having to pay for a taxi home. The cost of transport then vastly outweighs the cost of, for example, a cinema ticket or a couple of beers with friends.

When I was last working, I ended up walking 3 miles in all weathers to the top of a 500ft hill just to get to the nearest place that I could catch a bus to get there. I could have tried to connect three different buses via the main hubs, but this would have taken nearly an hour more to commute. When I first moved here, there was a direct bus from here to the same place every hour running all day.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2016, 4:47 pm

I also hate public transit. I'm better off walking to the places that I need to go.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2016, 5:35 pm

I only WISH we had public transportation in this dumb little town. We're big enough that you need a vehicle to really get around, but small enough that public transportation would still be somewhat unrealistic to implement here. I dunno. When I moved here I was hoping for big city conveniences, instead I'm just in a really bigass small town, if that makes any sense.

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2016, 5:49 pm

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
I only WISH we had public transportation in this dumb little town. We're big enough that you need a vehicle to really get around, but small enough that public transportation would still be somewhat unrealistic to implement here. I dunno. When I moved here I was hoping for big city conveniences, instead I'm just in a really bigass small town, if that makes any sense.

I know what you mean. My city is kind of like a huge small town as well, but recently it's been more city-like.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

19 Mar 2016, 7:53 pm

There was no bus system when I lived with my parents. There was a bus on another road but walking to it might would of taken an hour & there were no sidewalks & my parents lived on a major highway that connected the nearby big town & city so walking to the bus was too dangerous. There was almost nothing in the town I lived in besides a couple schools, couple gas stations & a church. I cant drive because of a low vision disorder, problems paying attention & my brain sometimes not processing things I do see rite away. My mom was mad at me about having to be my free chauffeur & she also got mad when I would ride with her & dad when they went shopping cuz she did not want me hanging around her sense I was an adult she felt like her job as a parent should be done.

I moved to Vermont to be with my girlfriend & we moved to the city of Burlington which supposedly according to afew things has the best bus system in the US. My girlfriend cant drive either because of anxiety issues so we have to use the bus system. We can walk to some places we need to including the bus station(it's not really a station, they just park on side the road & have a kiosk there). The bus does pass in front of our apartment but the one that picks us up is sometimes late so it's easier for us to just walk 20/25 minutes to the bus station area instead of taking an earlier bus so we don't miss the bus at the bus station. We do take the bus back home from the station thou when we do shopping. We cant carry alot of stuff on the bus but we do carry all the bags we can each carry sometimes. There are some problems with the bus system thou like drivers not stopping at the next stop when the wire is pulled & a driver pulling into the mall & leaving before would be passengers have enough time to walk to the bus. I also seen mean passengers get upset with & threaten to get the driver fired for things he/she has no control of. I like the bus system OK for the most part thou. I do feel claustrophobic like when the buses are really crowded like people standing rite next to me & talking loudly. My doc prescribes me Klonopin that I take before I leave when I may be on a bus that may be crowded & it helps.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2016, 3:30 pm

Like many, I hate crowded buses and light rail trains. Crowds on both make me uncomfortable.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2016, 2:46 pm

AnonymousAnonymous wrote:
@ OP: You're not the only one who feels this way. Next year in Portland, the public transportation system will no longer allow riders to pay with cash. Instead, the public transportation will force riders to pay for fares through an electronic fare system.

I wonder what is going to happen to people who are poor and can't pay any other way? Not all of them have a card or bank account.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2016, 3:35 pm

http://www.mbta.com/fares_and_passes/?id=5594
In Boston they issue a plastic CharlieCard from kiosks. But, you can still use cash if you pay the surcharge.
They do this to speed things up.