Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

momof2boys1211
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

18 Mar 2016, 11:03 pm

My Son is 4 years old. He has been diagnosed with autism and ADHD. The doctor's have recommended three different medication which we have tried all with the same effect. He is a very active and some would say hyperactive child. His attention span is very short so these medication's are suppose to help. While they do calm him down and allow him to sit still the way he reacts just do not out weight the pro's. His meltdown's become super severe and instead of a once a week occurrence they happen at least once a day and at the worst three times a day. This happens anytime he has to go somewhere ie school or doctor appointments. I am to the point that i am going to remove him completely. All i have seen is revertion instead and these medication helping his behavior. I want my son back!! I'm here looking for any advice or information? Please help!! Thank you :( :D :!: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :heart: :heart: :heart:

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2016, 4:57 am

what are the meds that you give him?

stepkiwi
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 Mar 2016, 6:15 pm

Hi, sorry I cant help you here, but could you please take the time to read my post on the introductions page and give me your opinion? its titled "am I barking up the wrong tree" and also in regard to a 4 yr old boy

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2016, 8:05 pm

hes a kid, of course he cant sit still!

ADHD and Autism cannot be fixed with medication, it needs time, therapy and guidance.

Medication is just a tool and makes it a bit easier.

You as a parent need to guide him.

put him in a sport or something.

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2016, 8:11 pm

momof2boys1211 wrote:
I want my son back!!

?????
was your son taken? kidnapped? confiscated?

If not than that IS your son.. Your son will ALWAYS have ADHD, its apart of him, he isn't gone or lost. Theres more to him than ADHD but the ADHD will always be there, and it will always play a role in his life.

Whispers
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Mar 2016, 8:19 pm

Of course you can't cure ADHD with medications, but sometimes you need it so that the kid is able to focus enough so that he can learn (for instance). But you have to always tell all the side effects of the medications to your doctor, because you might need to change them or change their dosage. There are often many possibilities, don't just stop giving him the meds withouth telling the doctor and make assure there is no better treatment.

What I've read, is that ADHD is related to abnormalities in the frontal lobe of the brain, and that lobe is not completely formed until the age of 7, so any diagnose of ADHD before that age is only provisional.

All the best.

From childhood’s hour I have not been as others were—I have not seen as others saw—I could not bring my passions from a common spring— From the same source I have not taken my sorrow—I could not awaken my heart to joy at the same tone—
And all I lov’d—I lov’d alone.
E. A. Poe

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2016, 1:20 am

I have always done poorly in the long run on behavior meds. The side effects always seem to outweigh the benefits. The worst was when I was on an SSRI and it caused pretty bad disinhibition. Meaning I turned into a reckless wild man. My mom said the same thing, "I want my son back".

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2016, 1:50 am

ZombieBrideXD wrote:
momof2boys1211 wrote:
I want my son back!!

?????

If not than that IS your son.. Your son will ALWAYS have ADHD, its apart of him, he isn't gone or lost. Theres more to him than ADHD but the ADHD will always be there, and it will always play a role in his life.

When people say they want their child back, they mean they want them to be the way they were before.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2016, 8:34 am

League_Girl wrote:
ZombieBrideXD wrote:
momof2boys1211 wrote:
I want my son back!!

?????

When people say they want their child back, they mean they want them to be the way they were before.

Before what? ADHD? Meds? Autism?

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2016, 10:58 am

ZombieBrideXD wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
ZombieBrideXD wrote:
momof2boys1211 wrote:
I want my son back!!

?????

Anything. Like what if the kid changes due to stress or they changed because they got involved in peer pressure or what if they changed due to hormones? What if their meds changed them so it made them act worse due to the side affects? And I am not just talking about autism and ADHD, I am talking about any child.

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2016, 11:26 am

League_Girl wrote:
ZombieBrideXD wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
ZombieBrideXD wrote:
momof2boys1211 wrote:
I want my son back!!

?????

Anything. Like what if the kid changes due to stress or they changed because they got involved in peer pressure or what if they changed due to hormones? What if their meds changed them so it made them act worse due to the side affects? And I am not just talking about autism and ADHD, I am talking about any child.

But children are still the same even if they change, everything about them is them, even if they are different from the day before.

if a child cuts off all his/her hair, then it is still that child, nothing has changed, they just look different
If a child stops talking then its still that child.

i believe wanting a child back is just a form of grief, its a denial stage.

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2016, 11:38 am

ZombieBrideXD wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
ZombieBrideXD wrote:
momof2boys1211 wrote:
I want my son back!!

?????

I think the OP means she wants her son to act more like he did before he was on the meds. ADHD and autism are part of who he is and will not change, but the meds can be changed.

OP, that phrasing is somewhat triggering in the autistic community, because many 'awareness' campaigns paint out autism kids as 'missing' because of their autism. For an example of why this is a touchy subject, read about the [http://autisticadvocacy.org/2007/12/tell-nyu-child-study-center-to-abandon-stereotypes/]ransom notes campaign[/url]. i don't think that's what you were intending that at all, but I think ZombieBrideXD may have taken it that way.

And to the OP - is your son on stimulant medications? Sometimes, stimulants can increase anxiety levels in children. If your son is feeling more anxious on the meds, it would explain him having more meltdowns.

My advice is to talk to the doctors about either trying a non-stimulant medication (there are a few non-stimulants that can help with ADHD) or else managing his ADHD without medication.

Non-medications treatments for ADHD include:

* getting plenty of exercise - tired kids are less hyperactive; also he should never lose recess for misbehavior
* having him do his work in an environment with fewer distractions - in class, have him sit in the front row near the teacher's desk and away from windows or doors; at home, have him do homework in a place set aside solely for homework and with no distractions nearby
* give him more breaks, especially when he's having trouble focusing
* harness his interests - if he has intense interests as part of his autism, then making schoolwork relate to his interests, or using his interests as a reward, will make him more motivated and make it easier for him to stay focused
* give him sensory feedback - many kids pay attention better if they have an object to fiddle with, or if they are sitting on a ball instead of a chair, or some other sensory sensation; if he stims or fidgets, make sure he's allowed to stim and fidget while trying to do work instead of trying to make him stop

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2016, 12:20 pm

Quote:
I think the OP means she wants her son to act more like he did before he was on the meds.

This is what I was trying to say so thank you for putting it in better words.

Also another thing that is good treatment for ADHD is to find something for the ADHD child to do when they are acting up and hyperactive. That will calm their brain down when they get engaged in an activity.

Also give them enough downtime and let them burn off some energy by going outside and run or walk so they can get it all out of them