Could I Have Very Mild Asperger's or PDD-NOS?

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Mattoid
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

19 Mar 2016, 3:40 pm

As a kid, I exhibited some signs of both ADHD-PI and slight autism, such as perseveration, withdrawal, etc. When I was a preteen, I was tentatively diagnosed with ADHD-PI and possible Asperger's. I took some online tests, the results of which are in my signature (28 AQ = possible autism). I saw a psychologist for a neurological screening when I was eighteen or nineteen, and the results said that my VIQ was higher than my PIQ, and that there were some bilateral motor deficits. This led my psychologist to conclude that I had a Nonverbal Learning Disorder and possible Asperger's Syndrome. However, I am a better empathizer than a systemizer, and I excel at reading facial expressions. There was a bit of a language delay, and I used to flap my hands a lot when I was little. I've read that there is no significant language delay in Asperger's. Is it possible that I have either that or PDD-NOS? Some of my friends don't seem to think I have any form of autism, as I seem pretty social around them...but that's only when I'm around them.

What do you think?

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 114 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 90 of 200
You seem to have both neurodiverse and neurotypical traits

MBTI Type: INFP
Enneagram Type: 4w5

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2016, 3:42 pm

I think that you should consult an appropriately-trained and licensed mental-health professional.

We're just a bunch of amateurs here, and most of us have absolutely no mental-health training.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2016, 3:51 pm

Mattoid wrote:
This led my psychologist to conclude that I had a Nonverbal Learning Disorder and possible Asperger's Syndrome. However, I am a better empathizer than a systemizer, and I excel at reading facial expressions.

How do you know?

the thing with ASD is that (well coming from experience) i dont pick up on body language at all, i didn't know that it existed until i was about 14 and after that i was formally taught the basics but i have no idea how much i miss or even what i do pick up on for that matter OR if anything i pick up is accurate to what i think the body language means.

were you told you excel at picking up body language?

my point is, being on the spectrum its hard to say that you 'can read body language' because you may not even know what it looks like (that was my case anyways)

i'd say that its likely and worth a trip to a pyschologist and worth looking into

if your functioning fine and life is stable and you have no issues keeping relationships, holding a job, and taking care of yourself and/or a family then a full diagnoses wont really be a priority but talking to a psychologist wouldnt hurt

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

Mattoid
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

19 Mar 2016, 5:43 pm

I took the Mind in the Eyes test and excelled at that, and took the EQ vs. SQ test. I have an average EQ and a lower-than-average SQ. I too didn't know about body language until my mid-teens, but now I have learned and can easily tell when someone is happy, mad, sad, fearful, etc.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 114 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 90 of 200
You seem to have both neurodiverse and neurotypical traits

MBTI Type: INFP
Enneagram Type: 4w5

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2016, 5:46 pm

I think it's very possible to have borderline Asperger's but IMO it's usually not diagnosable. But I can't diagnose you either.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.