Anyone else have a high pain tolerance?

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Abyssalrider
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Mar 2016, 1:02 am

I read somewhere that a higher than average pain tolerance was common among aspies, but i've only met 2 others irl in my life, and it never came up. I can usually walk off injuries with minimal effort that i've seen bring many of my NT friends to the floor. And i was wondering if anyone else noticed whether or not they seem to have a high pain tolerance compared to others.

Grammar Geek
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2016, 8:21 am

I look on in envy toward these Aspies. Mine is very low. People used to think it was hilarious to poke me repeatedly and hear me say "ow."

Abyssalrider
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Mar 2016, 9:51 am

In theory having a high pain tolerance seems like a good thing, but I think it has disadvantages as well. Last summer I crashed my mountain mike in a parking lot, and rode a mile and a half back to my house to clean the road rash. It didn't take much more than minimal effort, but my arm was scraped up from my elbow to halfway down my forearm. While it useful for situations like that, it can also be problematic if you can't tell how bad an injury is soley because it doesn't impede movement.

MCHB
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Mar 2016, 2:25 pm

I have a decent pain tolerance, lol.

...at least that's the vibe I get from all the burn scars on my forarms from welding for 10 years! :lol:
...Crushed a finger, had it sewn back together, smoked my forehead against a sharp metal object, had someone accidentaly drop a 1" square bar on my head, etc...

While out biking, I've shredded both shins against the pedals at least once (friendly, spike-studded aluminum pedals!) and gone over the bars a few times. I always spring back up and carry on my way!

MissAlgernon
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Mar 2016, 2:34 pm

I'm pretty sure my pain tolerance must be abnormal. The surgeon was horrified to see how many gallstones I had and I didn't complain about them. And I almost broke my ribs twice, with black hematomas larger than my hand, when I was sleepwalking, I bumped against furniture and went back to bed. I never went to the doctor and people were horrified when they saw them. The pain was OK and my ribs didn't seem broken so all was OK for me. But don't tickle me because that's the ultimate torture, if you want to make me scream of pain it's the best way !

Neo Redpill 101
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Apr 2016, 10:35 am

I'm oversensitive emotionally and physically, so I have a low tolerance for pain. My tolerance is only super high when I'm manic or having a melt down.

NoName93
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Apr 2016, 1:42 pm

I am the exactly oposite I have low pain tollerance

Esme
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Apr 2016, 6:53 pm

It depends what type of pain it is and what else I'm doing at the time. I can be so distracted with something that I don't immediately realise that I'm in pain. I think years of bumping into furniture has made my pain threshold fairly high.

It sounds a bit odd, but when I was younger I used to enjoy a bit of pain sometimes. I had several piercings that are never on display or used simply because I enjoyed the process. I had both ears pierced several times just for the hell of it (and then other body parts, although most have now closed up). I don't think it was a 'self harm' type of thing, as I wasn't in a low mood at the time. I just got a weird enjoyment out of the intense sensation and noise.

Abyssalrider
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Apr 2016, 9:36 pm

My tolerance for physical pain is almost mind boggling, several times i've crashed my bike gotten up and started riding back home in under a minute while looking like i just got into a fight. And a few times working a punching bag i've kneed myself in the chin and 10 seconds later barely felt the pain. Only pain i have difficulty with is tooth related, and that's due to it not being constistent unless i'm eating. I never think about it but i actually crack jokes about my several bad mountain bike crashes all the time. As well as my capacity for luck when it comes to minimizing injuries, worst injury i've ever had (not counting scrapes and bruises) was hyper extending my left leg during a pillow fight when i was 7.

xile123
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Apr 2016, 5:09 am

I have pretty high pain tolerance.

SerOrange
Raven
Raven

04 Apr 2016, 6:59 pm

I'd consider my physical pain tolerance to be quite high. I've had my fair share of painful accidents as a kid and I've basically just walked them all off, for better or worse.

plainjain
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Apr 2016, 9:33 am

Yes and no!

I'm excellent at dissociating pain or dismissing pain if it is ongoing, emotionally traumatic in some way, or if I expect it, usually. But if it's sudden and unexpected, I still notice it, and react like anyone else would, I think.

FutureVet
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Apr 2016, 5:08 pm

My mother once told me if my siblings said something hurt they were fine, but if I said something hurt I probably needed to go to the emergency room.

Cuts and scrapes, bruises, etc I have a high tolerance for. Physical pain.

Sensory things I have a low tolerance for. Even though I know when people touch me they have not actually caused me pain, that doesn't stop it from being like someone giving you a bad static shock. Painful, even though no injury is actually done.

You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)
AQ: 44

Let me explain: I am not diagnosed nor am I "self-diagnosed," all I know are what my life experiences have been up to this point and a lot of it makes more sense when considered through the lens of autism and sensory processing issues.

green0star
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2016, 8:11 am

I think my mom has the highest pain tolerance of anyone I know. She had to get a biopsy done because she had things on her thyroid and she took the whole thing cutting and all awake o_o Me I don't think I could do all that but I feel it would mostly be psychological more so then painful(from what I think) because you're seeing people cut into your neck right in front of you o-o

Anyway the last painful thing I went through was having 4 wisdom teeth extracted and 1 of them being impacted. It was pretty painful and the only lucky thing about me at that point was that I didn't have to go anywhere where I had to function in some kinda way so I don't know whether to say I could function on it or not.

The only other pain I experience is on a monthly basis and you AFAB folks out there know exactly what I'm talking about. I don't take anything for it, thats all I will say.

Giovanni012
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

10 May 2016, 7:07 am

I would say i do, pretty sure I've fractured both arms a few times, never got them looked at though, cracked my ankle an inch in, but still walked on it for four months, because i hate the hospital. Recently i got hit in the forehead by a piece of wood and a bump appeared that was an inch out, probably should have gotten that one looked at. I'm able to stick a few fingers in boiling water for a few seconds before i even feel it.

Abyssalrider
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 May 2016, 9:41 pm

Giovanni012 wrote:
I would say i do, pretty sure I've fractured both arms a few times, never got them looked at though, cracked my ankle an inch in, but still walked on it for four months, because i hate the hospital. Recently i got hit in the forehead by a piece of wood and a bump appeared that was an inch out, probably should have gotten that one looked at. I'm able to stick a few fingers in boiling water for a few seconds before i even feel it.

My worst injuries are from mountain bike crashes on pavement, in particular two of them. One in September 2013, the other in June last year.

2013's
^Hard to believe that's from a bike crash isn't it?^

Last years Rematch (kept me from swimming in the local swimming spot for 2 weeks)