Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Starfoxx
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2016, 5:12 am

I'm really struggling at my job atm. Ive been doing this job for nearly a year but i forgotten how to do some of my tasks. Ive forgotten basix things like what time im supposed to turn up etc. Ive had two of my main taaks taken off me because i cant do them anymore. Im trying to do things well but keep making mistakes and they are large mistakes that cause trouble for all my colleagues too. I'm worried ill get fired or demoted. I've lost jobs in the past because I've done well for months and suddenly lost how to do things. Idk why br cause I seen a Dr Who said there's nothing wrong and I've even been tested for onset of dementia. Dr's seem to think it's part of aspergers. Do any of you guys forget how to do things you do all the time? I'm having trouble solving problems too and I know I would usually have no trouble because they are simple problems to fix.

JackKenneth
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 Mar 2016, 9:00 am

I make myself step-by-step lists sometimes.
Yes, I forget lots of things.
Organization is my weakest skill, and often nothing will be where I first search.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2016, 9:50 am

Starfoxx, how many hours a week is this job?

And how many credits are you taking in school, and is that considered full time, less than full time, or more than full time (overload territory)?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2016, 9:56 am

Yep....as BeaArthur stated, it could be overload.

I think you work at a shop, right? And you've done well for a while.

As far as turning up on time, I would carry with me the schedule, if that's possible.

What sort tasks are you forgetting to do?

dcj123
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2016, 10:08 am

This might be off the mark but maybe its that useless and slightly harmful obsession that you wrote about on another thread that is causing the problems. Its fine you don't want to share that, I saw that in the other thread but without knowing what that something is, it could be something that might cause memory loss. For example, drinking can impair memory and can even cause psychosis. Not accusing you of drinking but just saying, you might want to start thinking about this useless and slightly harmful obsession in terms of effecting your work. If the shoe fits, thats probably the right shoe.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2016, 10:16 am

dcj123 wrote:
This might be off the mark but maybe its that useless and slightly harmful obsession that you wrote about on another thread that is causing the problems. Its fine you don't want to share that, I saw that in the other thread but without knowing what that something is, it could be something that might cause memory loss. For example, drinking can impair memory and can even cause psychosis. Not accusing you of drinking but just saying, you might want to start thinking about this useless and slightly harmful obsession in terms of effecting your work. If the shoe fits, thats probably the right shoe.

The opposite is more likely.

Loosing it on the job, and backsliding into an embarrassing obsession are both probably symptoms, and neither is likely a cause.

The cause:she is probably under a lot of stress- with college, and a job, and maybe she is also living away from home (dont know Im guessing), and maybe also trying to vault from being an autistic loner to being social in college. She probably taking on too much. Thats my conclusion based upon her recent posts.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2016, 10:21 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Yep....as BeaArthur stated, it could be overload.

Excuse me, I didn't "state" that. I asked some relevant questions. That's all I did.

Just wanted to clarify my position. (Not upset, more like amused.)

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2016, 11:43 am

I think we should cooperate with each other. What was that all about?

I didn't say that you made a definitive statement.

What do you think was my intention ?

I think we are all spending too much time on the Internet. We get into argumentative modes too easily. And we lose perspective on things.

Instead, we try to one-up each other, try to portray a clever image.

I can't live in a place where people seek out reasons to dislike you.

Starfoxx
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2016, 11:58 am

Yes I work in a shop but I'm responsible for cashing up tills and safe and some administration, stock check. I've made mega mistakes with tills and stuff like I've been putting the wrong information in the computer and forgetting the entire procedures of the things I must do.I forgot that because of my position I have to come in earlier to open the shop. It took me ages to learn in the first place and but it's like I'm new at it again but I'm not. I made mistakes again today and I tried to fix it but made things even worse. The store manager is in trouble by his boss because of me :/

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2016, 11:59 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I think we should cooperate with each other. What was that all about?

I didn't say that you made a definitive statement.

What do you think was my intention ?

Sorry if I ticked you off, KK. I guess you could say I was using the Socratic method to help Starfoxx, not only to get to a particular conclusion, but to ask the "right" questions to analyze a situation like this. The answers are not a foregone conclusion. For instance, if Starfoxx is working full-time plus going to school full-time, that's one set of recommendations. But if Starfoxx is working only 8 hours a week, and taking a full course load but just barely, that's a different set of recommendations.

This is why I thought it was important not to get misquoted.

Starfoxx
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2016, 12:01 pm

Quote:

The cause:she is probably under a lot of stress- with college, and a job, and maybe she is also living away from home (dont know Im guessing), and maybe also trying to vault from being an autistic loner to being social in college. She probably taking on too much. Thats my conclusion based upon her recent posts.

Perhaps it could be that I'm doing too much

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2016, 12:03 pm

Starfoxx, this might not be a good job for you while you are also a student, because of the amount of attention to detail that it takes - even if it is a good job when you are not enrolled.

Some student jobs are as "easy" as sitting at a desk checking ID's of people coming in to use a library, computer lab or gym - and you can read homework assignments when it slows down.

What do you think?

Starfoxx
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2016, 12:08 pm

BeaArthur wrote:
Starfoxx, this might not be a good job for you while you are also a student, because of the amount of attention to detail that it takes - even if it is a good job when you are not enrolled.

Some student jobs are as "easy" as sitting at a desk checking ID's of people coming in to use a library, computer lab or gym - and you can read homework assignments when it slows down.

What do you think?

I don't really want to change though because I've been at this place a while and the staff know me. I doubt I'll have colleagues as understanding tbh and I've been sacked before at other places for similar reasons. fI kinda wanted the position and I was lucky enough to promoted. I will be off college soon so I'll have a break. I think if I continue to struggle ill ask to be demoted but stay there. Also it's near my house. :?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2016, 12:11 pm

Yes, that's possible.

Retail is a fast-paced environment. I wish I knew more about your job, so I could advise you better.

Do they allow you to do a printout of what's in the till, and allow you to count your money at that point, at an intermediate point?

I tend to doubt it that they do.

How short are you?

What I would do (yes, it sounds foolish), is to make up the difference if you're short, then maybe work slightly slower in the future. If the shortage is only a few pounds.

Then pace yourself in the future.

I think you might be the victim of "the need for speed."

Starfoxx
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2016, 12:18 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Yes, that's possible.

Retail is a fast-paced environment. I wish I knew more about your job, so I could advise you better.

Do they allow you to do a printout of what's in the till, and allow you to count your money at that point, at an intermediate point?

I tend to doubt it that they do.

How short are you?

What I would do (yes, it sounds foolish), is to make up the difference if you're short, then maybe work slightly slower in the future. If the shortage is only a few pounds.

Then pace yourself in the future.

I think you might be the victim of "the need for speed."

Shortage by a few hundred pounds and it's really tough to fix on the system. But the thing it's not short by how much it says it is. So it's awkward. It's not really short at all but says so and the head office think that hundreds is missing.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2016, 12:25 pm

This is a hard one.

They might be able to account for what's missing. Maybe the register wasn't registering something for so long that the few hundreds pounds are missing?

I wish I knew more about how they resolve these things. I've never worked in retail. I wish I could provide reassurance.

I hope you could find an office clerical sort of a job.

I don't think this is indicative of any character flaw in you.

It might mean you have too much on your plate at the moment.