Help with learning a foreign language?

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

RoJones
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

21 Mar 2016, 5:03 am

Hey folks.

I'm in a situation where I have to learn a foreign language in order to immigrate to Europe. I've been trying for three years now and still have not reached the A1 level.

Back in high school and college I failed four years of Spanish courses and, despite hours upon hours of study, barely passed with a D. Now I have to learn Czech, which is about as opposite of English as it gets outside of something East Asian.

A huge problem is that when I hear people speak all I hear is noise. I can't tell the difference between words and even handwriting is nearly impossible to decipher. I can't find the patterns and the constant use of slang and weird accents makes it all sound like mush. I've been to schools but I fall behind after the first two weeks and have to leave due to not being able to keep up with everyone else. I've tried the flash cards and sticking words on object around the house with no effect. I'm terrible with trying to talk to people in that language because they always react too strongly (positive or negative) and my throat clamps shut.

And no, there are no tutors available who specialize in helping special needs adults learn the local language. None that I can afford, anyway.

Have any of you also struggled with foreign language learning and found a way around it?
What tricks did you use?
What sort of techniques did you employ?
What advice could you give to people who have had nothing else work for them?

Noura4eva
Toucan
Toucan

21 Mar 2016, 5:12 am

Hi

I am terrible learning new languages, and only ever managed a handful or words, which I constantly forget the meaning of.

My Hubby speaks 4 languages and bits and pieces of others. I will ask him later if he has any tips, but to be truthful some people just seem to have a knack for it. Just like some people have a knack for maths or something else.

Never say never though.

Hopefully someone here might be able to advise

RoJones
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

21 Mar 2016, 5:24 am

Noura4eva wrote:
Hi

I am terrible learning new languages, and only ever managed a handful or words, which I constantly forget the meaning of.

My Hubby speaks 4 languages and bits and pieces of others. I will ask him later if he has any tips, but to be truthful some people just seem to have a knack for it. Just like some people have a knack for maths or something else.

Never say never though.

Hopefully someone here might be able to advise

Thanks a bunch. Any help is useful.

Noura4eva
Toucan
Toucan

21 Mar 2016, 2:28 pm

Hi my husband suggested firstly trying to find your learning style.

https://www.teachingenglish.org.uk/arti ... elligences

Once you figure this out then it should tell you some useful ways to maximise your learning.

Get back to me if you need more advice, or if this does not make sense