16 months and looking more like autism

Page 3 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2016, 9:40 pm

Keep in mind that a young nonverbal kid is very hard to assess accurately for things that aren't readily observable, such as cognition or receptive language. It's even harder if they're autistic, too. If they fail to respond, is it because they:

a) didn't understand the instructions (receptive)
b) didn't understand the concept (cognitive)
c) couldn't get their body to do what they wanted it to
d) didn't see the point of doing what the adult wanted from them, or didn't want to do it for whatever reason
e) were too overloaded by some sensory issue to pay attention to the questions or give the right response
f) were too scared of an unfamiliar situation or an unfamiliar person to pay attention or give the right response
g) some other reason

I have heard many stories of kids who scored way lower than their true abilities on a cognitive or receptive language test. It's possible the results could be accurate, but with a nonverbal 16 month old with suspected autism, a receptive language test could very easily end up underestimating them.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2016, 5:52 am

Your wife thinking "nothing is wrong" could be denial

Or it could be that she has known kids in her extended family who were like your son as a toddler, yet "grew out of it" later, and caught up with the other kids.

One of my wife's distant relatives did not walk until age 4, speak until age 10, yet is now an auto mechanic who is "normal" in every way.

dandandan
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Mar 2016, 5:47 pm

She insists she's not in denial and that she is aware of the delays but ultimately thinks he will end up being OK.
We're starting ABA therapy soon, hopefully that will help some...I will keep you guys updated!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2016, 6:07 pm

I don't meant to criticize your wife:

But you should ask her for something specific which points to your son "catching up" with other kids. Some sign. Is it "the look in his eyes?" Why does she think there's "nothing wrong" with him?

My mother noticed "the look in my eye." That's why she didn't believe it when I was diagnosed with infantile autism when I was three. This doctor recommended that I be put in an institution.

But you're doing the wise thing by keeping him in EI.

Don't give up, my man. There are many possible outcomes to this. Most of them good in some fashion.

dandandan
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Mar 2016, 6:37 pm

She feels she has a connection with him and that she can interact with him.
It's true to a certain extent - he does seem to respond better to her.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2016, 6:42 pm

Many kids of that age have a "special connection" with their mother, and not so much with their father. I find this to be pretty "normal," actually.

Please don't feel bad about this. He'll warm up to you as he gets older.

I think you know how important it is for everybody involved to foster that "special connection." Without it, there's less hope.

I'm not a religious person--I'm an atheist, in fact--but if the mother feels that God might help in this, I would encourage this, too. Faith has a way of causing positive things to happen.

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2016, 6:57 pm

dandandan wrote:
She feels she has a connection with him and that she can interact with him.
It's true to a certain extent - he does seem to respond better to her.

Just a random thought - does she show any autistic traits herself? Parents of autistic kids are more likely to have autistic traits, and I've known/heard of many families where the parent with autistic traits refused to believe the diagnosis or suspected diagnosis because they think many autistic traits are normal.

dandandan
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Mar 2016, 7:08 pm

No she's definitely not autistic. Not very social, not a fan of kisses and hugs, but not autistic lol :)
Another reason she believes he is not autistic is because he does not show any of the classic autism signs (like flapping, repetition, meltdowns, etc), which is true.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2016, 7:19 pm

I didn't show any of those signs either, according to my mother, when I was in my classic autistic state.

The exception: Whenever I would be taken anywhere indoors, I would have severe temper fits.