Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

crs927
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Mar 2016, 3:22 am

Don't do it! I made the mistake of letting people from work add me on facebook and found out the hard way that it was the wrong thing to do. I can't say anything too personal, rant, etc or people will freak out and start crap with me at work. Ugh. lol

mrrhq
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Mar 2016, 9:26 pm

Sometimes people use Linkedin instead, I assume that's more work-centered than Facebook. I'm also not sure if people can chat or communicate on there, or if it's just a way for people to show off how proud they are, or whatever.

I don't even use Facebook.

Debian is the Universal Operating System.

tcorrielus
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2016, 5:28 pm

Another thing is that if your supervisors search you on Facebook or Twitter and discover that you post inappropriate or offensive pictures or messages on your Facebook or Twitter accounts, they might fire you WITHOUT warning. So be careful what you post on social media.

TheSpectrum
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2016, 6:46 pm

As an employer I suggest the following if you're going to add colleagues, or connect with people in touch with them and your boss:
*Don't vent about much you hate people or your work, or things at work
*Don't breach work-worker confidentiality
*To reiterate, don't vent about how much you hate people or your work or things at work. Someone will always find out eventually
*Never share inappropriate content or anything that could be misconstrued as such
*Avoid offensive language
*Try not to use Facebook when off work for sick leave

You know what? Just don't add anybody from work ok XD

JaneBuss
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Mar 2016, 8:18 pm

You can customize your privacy settings. Make work folks "acquaintances" and they won't be able to see most of what you post.

Or set up a new, separate FB under another name (like First Middle name only) for your real friends.

adoylelb90815
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Mar 2016, 3:25 am

I wouldn't post anything about work, or vent about a bad day because that can easily get you fired. My personal rule about Facebook is that I don't post anything personal, or something you wouldn't say to someone's face. I'm also one who has things set to where only friends of friends can send friend requests, and if I decline requests if I really don't know someone. As for co-workers and bosses, I wouldn't add them on Facebook, and you can also set your account to where you can't be searched.

hmk66
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Mar 2016, 8:46 am

I have added many colleagues as Facebook friends, including former bosses (as far as they have a Facebook account and want to share their information with their colleagues, including me).

I don't post very confidential things on Facebook and other things are not about work. When there is a personnel party, I will post about in a positive way. No (negative) gossip about a specific colleagues, but when I do a Facebook check-in, I will tag my colleagues that I saw at that party as far as they have a Facebook account.

Some colleagues at school have students as Facebook friends. That is not my cup of tea. I won't share Facebook information with students, like some other colleagues do. A while ago my boss told other colleagues (and me) not to make online contacts. Most of the people have forgotten that, but I still remember that, and adhere to it.

SilverAmazon
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 Mar 2016, 9:01 am

I never put work colleagues and facebook. There are a couple of ex co-workers on there but only ones I got on with in a real way and knew there would still be something in common afterwards. I have made that clear to anyone who suggests it

hmk66
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Apr 2016, 6:36 am

A coworker told us (me and other colleagues) during the break the following story:

I know someone, who is a boss at a company (I censored the company name). She has a Facebook account. One of the employees that is working for her, as well. On a day the employee went to her boss and told her that she was ill. The boss and the employee were Facebook friends. On the same day she wrote on Facebook that she was at a beach. Then she got a phone call from her boss, who asked: "What are you doing on the beach while you are ill? You are fired!"

I am almost the opposite of that employee. When I am slightly ill, I won't mail my boss that I am ill. A paracetamol and/or a fresh air can make me feel better. My headache will go away. And if I have a slight fever, I refuse to stay home, and mail may boss that I would be ill. I will come to work. If the fever is tougher than I thought, I always can go to the boos and say that I am ill, and that I want to go home.

My illness rate (the number of days per year: 7) is twice as low as average in the Netherlands (14 days a year).