Should I tell people I'm brain damaged

Page 1 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2016, 2:07 am

I actually overdosed on Tylenol and ended up getting hospitalized. I had a huge personality change afterwards.
That actually happened to me, but I was only about two or three. Should I tell people I overdosed on Tylenol and maybe ended up with some brain damage. I'll mainly be using this as an excuse to not smoke weed.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2016, 2:11 am

Try it if it makes you feel better.

I tell people that i'm an alcoholic so that they don't ask me to go out drinking.

It actually works.

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2016, 2:23 am

I would just tell people that you don't want to smoke weed. You'll be surprised at how often the other person will start feeling like they are the weird one and out of place.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 83 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2016, 2:34 am

nurseangela wrote:
I would just tell people that you don't want to smoke weed. You'll be surprised at how often the other person will start feeling like they are the weird one and out of place.

Aye, same here.

If someone were to ask me if I want to drink, I just say "No. I dont drink". If I'm in a bad mood this is followed by "go away". It's the same with anything else I dont want to do, no matter just what it is. I dont care if everyone else does it; I'll do as I like, not as THEY like.

I end up being known for having a very forceful or strong-willed nature, to an extent. Nobody tries to boss me around.

Just be firm with what you want or do not want. Telling people you're brain damaged purely as a way to get out of something is the sort of thing that might come back to haunt you later.

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2016, 2:52 am

Misery wrote:
nurseangela wrote:

Aye, same here.

If someone were to ask me if I want to drink, I just say "No. I dont drink". If I'm in a bad mood this is followed by "go away". It's the same with anything else I dont want to do, no matter just what it is. I dont care if everyone else does it; I'll do as I like, not as THEY like.

I end up being known for having a very forceful or strong-willed nature, to an extent. Nobody tries to boss me around.

Just be firm with what you want or do not want. Telling people you're brain damaged purely as a way to get out of something is the sort of thing that might come back to haunt you later.

I might not say I'm brain damaged. I'll just say overdosing on Tylenol "fuucked up my brain". That's probably the truth and it doesn't sound as serious as brain damage.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2016, 3:02 am

what would that accomplish that a simple "no" wouldn't?

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2016, 3:14 am

I think you're better off with being honest. A lie can come back and bite you and it can get bigger and bigger until you tell the truth.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

alex
Developer
Developer

24 Mar 2016, 3:19 am

Just say you don't smoke weed. They'll be happy that they get more for themselves. :lol:

Yigeren
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2016, 3:23 am

Why would you think that an acetaminophen overdose would cause brain damage? It usually causes liver damage. The only mention I could find of brain damage being a result of acetaminophen overdose would be with acute liver failure.

So unless you had severe liver damage, I would doubt that the overdose caused brain damage. A personality change could easily be caused by the trauma of being hospitalized, and have nothing whatsoever to do with brain damage.

And I'm not entirely sure why you would want to lie about having brain damage instead of just telling people "no." I certainly wouldn't want to go around telling everyone that I had brain damage. I don't recall anyone ever making me smoke weed when I was a teenager, so that I had to make up an excuse to avoid it.

alex
Developer
Developer

24 Mar 2016, 3:25 am

Yigeren wrote:
So unless you had severe liver damage, I would doubt that the overdose caused brain damage. A personality change could easily be caused by the trauma of being hospitalized, and have nothing whatsoever to do with brain damage.

Also, he was 2 years old when this happened. Obviously your personality is going to drastically change when you're that young.

Yigeren
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2016, 3:29 am

alex wrote:
Yigeren wrote:

Also, he was 2 years old when this happened. Obviously your personality is going to drastically change when you're that young.

Yes, it can happen. I believe it can also happen with some cases of autism, although I'm not entirely sure that it occurs often in those with high-functioning ASD.

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2016, 3:56 am

Yigeren wrote:
Why would you think that an acetaminophen overdose would cause brain damage? It usually causes liver damage. The only mention I could find of brain damage being a result of acetaminophen overdose would be with acute liver failure.

And I'm not entirely sure why you would want to lie about having brain damage instead of just telling people "no." I certainly wouldn't want to go around telling everyone that I had brain damage. I don't recall anyone ever making me smoke weed when I was a teenager, so that I had to make up an excuse to avoid it.

Liver damage can cause brain issues as well. Liver issues are also a good excuse not to smoke weed. I don't think the people I'm dating will be medical experts anyways. Brain damage is also a good excuse for my "quirky" behaviors. It might make them less likely to label me as autistic.
I know I could say no, but I don't want to seem boring and unadventurous.

Yigeren
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2016, 4:44 am

I'd rather be labeled as "autistic" than brain damaged. I am autistic. "Brain damaged" could mean any number of really awful things, such as what happened to Phineas Gage: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phineas_Gage

I would be much more cautious around someone with some vague medical term such as "brain damage" than I would be around someone with autism.

ComicalMolecule
Butterfly
Butterfly

24 Mar 2016, 5:27 am

Everyone would probably ask you to explain what happened etc. which would tire me out pretty quickly. Just tell them you don't like weed, as people have been saying here I'm sure your friends will understand.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2016, 5:33 am

Why don't you just tell them you're allergic?
Allergic reaction to marijuana really is a thing.
Especially if you suffer from hay fever.
People seem quite accepting of allergies these days.

Or tell them smoking marijuana is too mainstream :lol:

Evam
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Mar 2016, 6:01 am

Hey, this thread is not mainly about having an excuse or not for smoking weed, but about whether the OP should tell people that HER personality or behavior is different due to an overdose of a medical substance as a little child.

As for the question: Yes, sometimes. When it might help the other to understand you better and tolerate your quirks better. Or as you probably cant judge very well: basically when you feel like it. Just experiment a little.

I would be interested in what you consider as a personality change. Looks like as if the usual regression does not fit in your case, or at least not entirely.