Should I tell people I'm brain damaged

Page 1 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Evam
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Mar 2016, 6:01 am

Hey, this thread is not mainly about having an excuse or not for smoking weed, but about whether the OP should tell people that HER personality or behavior is different due to an overdose of a medical substance as a little child.

As for the question: Yes, sometimes. When it might help the other to understand you better and tolerate your quirks better. Or as you probably cant judge very well: basically when you feel like it. Just experiment a little.

I would be interested in what you consider as a personality change. Looks like as if the usual regression does not fit in your case, or at least not entirely.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2016, 6:49 am

Don't tell people you're brain-damaged.

Because you're probably NOT brain-damaged, and it will scare some people.

If you want to, just tell them you've had some bad experiences with weed in the past. That'll scare them off from offering you some.

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2016, 7:07 am

Yep, I Don't Want to GO!! Then, Would you go AWAY PLEASE!! !

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2016, 8:09 am

Evam wrote:
Hey, this thread is not mainly about having an excuse or not for smoking weed, but about whether the OP should tell people that HER personality or behavior is different due to an overdose of a medical substance as a little child.

As for the question: Yes, sometimes. When it might help the other to understand you better and tolerate your quirks better. Or as you probably cant judge very well: basically when you feel like it. Just experiment a little.

I would be interested in what you consider as a personality change. Looks like as if the usual regression does not fit in your case, or at least not entirely.

No sir . That is NOT the subject of the thread. That is a seperate subject.

The subject is: should the OP tell a white lie (based upon a real incident in her childhood) in order to construct an excuse for not smoking marajuana.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2016, 8:22 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Don't tell people you're brain-damaged.

Because you're probably NOT brain-damaged, and it will scare some people.

If you want to, just tell them you've had some bad experiences with weed in the past. That'll scare them off from offering you some.

That would be good. And believable. In the Nineties a lot of weed was treated with chemicals and having "bad experiences" with it was common even among dedicated weed lovers.

The Tylenol story about "being brain damaged" will cause more problems than it would solve.
Folks will just get curious and pump you for details about the alledged incident. Half flat out wont even believe you. The half the would believe would still be gobsmacked and would seek details about how something as everyday as Tylenol could "damage you". And advertising that you're "brain damaged" is problematic.

I did work with a guy with some mental quirks (like he would run down to the basement stock room to get something for a customer, and would forget what the thing was he was looking for). He said that when he was a teen that he was a member of a gang, and part of their initiation was to "smoke leaves sprayed with Raid", and that was why his mind had a few swiss cheese holes in it. I guess that my point is:only advertise that you're "brain damaged" if its the truth, and need accomidation for it. Dont falsely defame yourself.

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2016, 2:12 am

alex wrote:
Just say you don't smoke weed. They'll be happy that they get more for themselves. :lol:

That's funny because it's true! :D

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 83 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2016, 4:51 am

I can see where you are coming from Devilkisses. When you get older you will realise that people will accept you whether you join in with their drug taking or not.

I do apologise for my initial flippant answer but I do actually find it easier to tell people that I wont got out drinking because I actually do have a problem. It's not a lie that I tell.

Also I have many friends who use cocaine every time they go out. When invited to join in that pursuit I just tell them "no, because it doesn't work for me", and they are grown up enough to accept that.

If your friends are grown up enough they will accept that you don't want to do it without you having to make up elaborate excuses.

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2016, 10:01 am

babybird wrote:
I can see where you are coming from Devilkisses. When you get older you will realise that people will accept you whether you join in with their drug taking or not.

I do apologise for my initial flippant answer but I do actually find it easier to tell people that I wont got out drinking because I actually do have a problem. It's not a lie that I tell.

Also I have many friends who use cocaine every time they go out. When invited to join in that pursuit I just tell them "no, because it doesn't work for me", and they are grown up enough to accept that.

If your friends are grown up enough they will accept that you don't want to do it without you having to make up elaborate excuses.

It's not acceptance I'm super worried about. I'm more worried about looking unadventurous to people. It's possible I'll be "accepted", but they'll think in the back of their minds I'm boring and unadventurous.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2016, 10:12 am

You can definitely seem adventurous without smoking pot, sniffing coke, or doing drugs in general.

Vancouver has lots of opportunities for adventure, because it's in such a mountainous location.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2016, 11:11 am

I think that you should just be honest and tell them the truth.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2016, 11:51 am

Tell them "pot makes me uncontrollably flatulent".

Then the folks passing the joint around will gather to a corner as far from you as possible! :D

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2016, 11:58 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Tell them "pot makes me uncontrollably flatulent".

Then the folks passing the joint around will gather to a corner as far from you as possible! :D

hahaha...tell them that you can fart smoke rings.

dcj123
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2016, 12:41 pm

I am stoner,

I would personally just smoke the weed however I don't feel it is for everyone so why don't you tell these people off. You don't need to hang around a bunch of druggies to look cool and if they are trying to get you to do something you don't want to do, they aren't your friend. Screw these people, just telling em you ain't smoking no weed and you would prefer if they didn't do it around you. If these people are alright outside of drugs, than they should respect your wishes to not consume an illegal substance. I have never forced anyone to smoke weed, I have offered lots of people weed but I don't force the issue. One no and I let it go unless they say something like maybe later.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2016, 1:13 pm

I don't drink, I've never had a problem telling people that when they recommend getting a drink. It may get in the way of social engagement here or there, but realize if you don't want to smoke then chances are those friends won't be friends for long anyways. At your age people are all about cliques, and stoners are no different. If you change core aspects of yourself to fit in with "friends" you'll realize that there's no satisfaction in the friendship-- instead find friends who are like you.

Also, on a side note, it's all about how you tell them. If you say I don't smoke because...and then list like 10 reasons why marijuana is not good for you, then you're making a statement that they will take as an attack on their own beliefs. It's best to keep the statements about your own personal experience: I don't smoke because it only makes me feel tired, I know it doesn't for everyone, but it does for me that's why I don't do it. If you phrase it as a personal issue the substance creates for you, then people tend to be more understanding because you're not attacking their own personal beliefs. That's how I do it, I tell them flat out it's only really ever given me a headache so I don't do it. Better still, people love the person willing to be the designated driver, if you have a license and can do that and still want to be friends, then offer that service.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2016, 1:34 pm

Smoking weed is adventurous?
Well, this is a new concept.
I've never thought of pot-heads as particularly adventurous people :?

I don't smoke weed because it makes me vomit.

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2016, 2:04 pm

Raleigh wrote:
Smoking weed is adventurous?
Well, this is a new concept.
I've never thought of pot-heads as particularly adventurous people :?

I don't smoke weed because it makes me vomit.

Not exactly. It seems like adventurous people tend to smoke weed. Not smoking weed might make me seem unadventurous.