Page 1 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

TheAvenger161173
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Mar 2016, 5:29 pm

Any time I watch a film I struggle understanding what's going on, the plots and sub plots usually a hard for me to pick up on. Does anyone else have this problem? Why is this? Is it a ASD thing?

dcj123
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2016, 5:39 pm

TheAvenger161173 wrote:
Any time I watch a film I struggle understanding what's going on, the plots and sub plots usually a hard for me to pick up on. Does anyone else have this problem? Why is this? Is it a ASD thing?

Oh I follow them, they just make no sense.

To see just how stupid movies are I recommend CinemaSins.

Maybe you can't follow them because you are a logically thinking person? Take the Dark Knight Rises for example, no one is going to take everything Bruce Wayne has because his stock went down after a freaking terrorist attack. They would link the lost in shares to the terrorist attack and would freeze all the accounts afterwards.

Most movie plots make no damn sense.

Grammar Geek
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2016, 5:46 pm

It's a Nonverbal Learning Disability/Auditory Processing Disorder thing. I hate movies because I can't distinguish between characters or understand what's being said unless there's closed-captioning. Most movies are an utter chore to sit through, which my mom just doesn't understand.

Brittniejoy1983
Toucan
Toucan

24 Mar 2016, 5:53 pm

Aaah, you see, I love movies, and stories. Although I find them predictable. There are only so many themes in literature and fiction.

mikeman7918
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2016, 5:59 pm

I often have trouble following some movie plots too, it depends on the movie though.

The Avengers for example is really hard to follow, I have seen all the movies as well as the ones about the individual heros and I still have no idea what the heck is going on in those movies. Something about helicariers, aliens, a bunch of Marvel superheros, some guy with an eye patch who is probobly pretty important, and a bunch of things exploding. I can't follow the plot at all, but the explosions look cool.

Diagnosed with Asperger's, ADD, and Generalized Anxiety Disorder in 2004.
In denial that it was a problem until early 2016.

Deviant Art

Idemash
Butterfly
Butterfly

24 Mar 2016, 6:09 pm

I don't have problems understanding the plot as such, but I do have problems following the characters. I always have to ask if the person in the current scene is the same person that was in a previous scene. As the movie goes on I get better at it because I can follow the story and link the person to the part of the story that's relevant to them, although I might not actually recognise them. I'm not sure how I would fair watching movies on my own without someone confirming which character is which. I might experiment with that.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2016, 6:41 pm

TheAvenger161173 wrote:

Well, all you really need to know, and this works for virtually every fiction film: there's a protagonist (hero) and that person is going to struggle and then they're going to win. Action+adventure, comedy, romantic, doesn't matter that's what happens every time. If you're getting lost in why the struggles matter to the story, don't worry, just realize they are struggles the protagonist must overcome to win, you don't necessarily need to understand them, merely their function to the story. If it "clicked" with you, then those struggles would increase excitement and make the conclusion more satisfying. How about reading, do you have that problem with all story lines or is it just movies? If it's just movies it may be a visual/auditory processing disorder, if it's reading as well it may be a full cognitive issue.

slenkar
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2016, 7:33 pm

The original mission impossible movie with Tom cruise has the most difficult to follow plot I've seen

Ashariel
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2016, 8:03 pm

I have trouble understanding plots too. Plus telling the characters apart. And understanding what they're saying. And focusing at all, without my mind wandering. Basically like real life.

drlaugh
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2016, 9:19 pm

In many ways I follow movie and TV plots better than reality.

My wife has helped me with filtering voicing endings early in the film.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2016, 12:00 am

The problem I have had in movies were peoples actions, their reactions, facial expressions, things they would say. I think I am better at reading people on TV. It's so predictable.

I had more of a harder time following movie plots when I was little because I didn't really understand what was going on in the movie. I have re watched movies as an adult I used to watch when I was a kid and I realize the details I had missed in the movie. I guess my language delay made me not understand or it was because I was too young to understand. It was all moving pictures and voices and actions, that was it. I didn't really follow the plot and what was being said. I didn't understand it. But now I think I follow them well now if I am not doing anything else while watching the movie.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2016, 12:39 am

most movies that don't emotionally draw me in leave me cold and clueless. forget about "cloud atlas" as that was just inhumanly complex, I couldn't follow it at all. when the characters start talking too fast they leave me behind. I do best on short simple plots such as those in made-for-tv things. recently I've been watching "the night gallery" series on DVD [Netflix], those were all very simple plots, clear enunciation by all the actors [unlike most of the dreck coming out of Hollywood today]. same for books, the plotlines must be simple and direct, with few or no switchbacks.

TheAvenger161173
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Mar 2016, 3:26 am

Aristophanes wrote:
TheAvenger161173 wrote:

Well, all you really need to know, and this works for virtually every fiction film: there's a protagonist (hero) and that person is going to struggle and then they're going to win. Action+adventure, comedy, romantic, doesn't matter that's what happens every time. If you're getting lost in why the struggles matter to the story, don't worry, just realize they are struggles the protagonist must overcome to win, you don't necessarily need to understand them, merely their function to the story. If it "clicked" with you, then those struggles would increase excitement and make the conclusion more satisfying. How about reading, do you have that problem with all story lines or is it just movies? If it's just movies it may be a visual/auditory processing disorder, if it's reading as well it may be a full cognitive issue.
I love certain films. Mainly marvel/dc but I struggle knowing what's happening. After I've watched them multiple times I start picking up on the plots better. I also notice visual things in the film like its new that I never noticed previously. I can read really well to myself, but I hate reading I dread it if it's a book. I get fatigued, physically and mentally and struggle with concentration and focus. But to answer your question I don't pick up much when reading. My memory is exceptionally poor also.i can read something and forget what I've read seconds later.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2016, 3:28 am

TheAvenger161173 wrote:
I get fatigued, physically and mentally and struggle with concentration and focus. But to answer your question I don't pick up much when reading. My memory is exceptionally poor also.i can read something and forget what I've read seconds later.

glad i'm not the only one. :oops:

TheAvenger161173
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Mar 2016, 3:32 am

mikeman7918 wrote:
I often have trouble following some movie plots too, it depends on the movie though.

The Avengers for example is really hard to follow, I have seen all the movies as well as the ones about the individual heros and I still have no idea what the heck is going on in those movies. Something about helicariers, aliens, a bunch of Marvel superheros, some guy with an eye patch who is probobly pretty important, and a bunch of things exploding. I can't follow the plot at all, but the explosions look cool.

I've watched this film that many times I've lost count. It's took watching it over and over to pick up on things. I love superhero films. I think I would describe it as going to watch a fire work display when I go to the cinema or watch a film. Rather than watching a play Lol

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2016, 3:34 am

I like turning on the sub-bass synthesizer for the boomy moments :mrgreen: