Substitute Teacher arrested for beating autistic student

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2016, 1:40 am

Substitute teacher arrested after bullying, beating incident involving student with autism

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2016, 9:52 pm

what happened to the POS students?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2016, 11:07 pm

Like my wife said, after I read this to her: "You wouldn't wan t me on the jury." Most certainly, as you'd get a guilty verdict immediately.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2016, 11:15 pm

auntblabby wrote:
what happened to the POS students?

"The juveniles, ages 17, 16, and 15, are charged with menacing and harassment. They're being held at the Coosa Valley Detention Center".

http://www.wvtm13.com/news/autistic-chi ... l/38678440

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2016, 11:20 pm

I wonder if their parents are proud of them.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2016, 3:22 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Like my wife said, after I read this to her: "You wouldn't wan t me on the jury." Most certainly, as you'd get a guilty verdict immediately.

I wonder how long they'll take to forbid autistics to be part of a jury, on the grounds that we're not neurotypical and hence not sane enough.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

Yigeren
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2016, 5:12 am

The world is full of teachers who don't give a crap. I had teachers themselves pick on me as a child. I was basically bullied by my teachers in elementary school.

In middle and high school, I think a lot of the teachers were afraid of the students. They weren't really able to teach or discipline the kids. The idea was to get all of the bad loser kids graduated so that no one at the schools had to deal with them anymore. They were juvenile delinquents, some of whom probably couldn't read past a 3rd grade level. Lots of fights at school, and the cops would have to be called.

So this doesn't surprise me. I'm sure she didn't want to get involved. She looks mean.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2016, 10:07 am

Spiderpig wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

I wonder how long they'll take to forbid autistics to be part of a jury, on the grounds that we're not neurotypical and hence not sane enough.

The joke would be on them, because she's an NT, and qualified regardless.

drlaugh
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2016, 10:16 am

What does POS stand for.

Like in all fields there are the good , bad and the ugly in teaching, administration.

There are probably a few of us in those positions.

I once presented a statewide presentation for those working with youth.
I called it
Ordinary people working with ordinary people with extraordinary problems.
Many of the aspies I have worked with these past 16+ years have asked me to treat them like "regular guys. "

Teachers, Counselors , first responders need (IMHO) to be aware of the effects of secondary and primary trauma.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2016, 1:34 pm

drlaugh wrote:
What does POS stand for.

The definition of POS is "Piece Of S**t" or "Parent Over Shoulder"
http://www.internetslang.com/POS-meaning-definition.asp

You'll have to decipher from the context which definition was intended. :)

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2016, 5:28 pm

Yigeren wrote:
The world is full of teachers who don't give a crap. I had teachers themselves pick on me as a child. I was basically bullied by my teachers in elementary school.

In middle and high school, I think a lot of the teachers were afraid of the students. They weren't really able to teach or discipline the kids. The idea was to get all of the bad loser kids graduated so that no one at the schools had to deal with them anymore. They were juvenile delinquents, some of whom probably couldn't read past a 3rd grade level. Lots of fights at school, and the cops would have to be called.

Many of my old teachers didn't give a crap either. In my MS years, me and my old autistic friend were repeatedly sent to the principal's office by a very stuck-up teacher who believed that students with special needs had no place in a "regular" school. During my HS years, another teacher took pride in harassing students with special needs. Although I was one of the regular targets and even though I told school administration about it, hardly anything was done.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2016, 6:59 pm

When I essentially "served time" in special ed for the first few years of public school, I was one day doing the class assignment, which was copying sentences written on the blackboard, when the teacher came up behind me, and shrilled, "You're writing it backward!" while pulling me by my hair. Yes, I did write it down backward for some reason, but I hardly think I deserved to have my hair yanked by that harpy. It could have been worse: plenty of my friends in class had been dragged out into the hall by the same teacher, and spanked. That mercifully never happened to me.

drlaugh
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2016, 9:08 pm

I hope some of you readers and posters are advocates in schools, elementary to College. 8) 8) 8)

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2016, 9:12 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
When I essentially "served time" in special ed for the first few years of public school, I was one day doing the class assignment, which was copying sentences written on the blackboard, when the teacher came up behind me, and shrilled, "You're writing it backward!" while pulling me by my hair. Yes, I did write it down backward for some reason, but I hardly think I deserved to have my hair yanked by that harpy. It could have been worse: plenty of my friends in class had been dragged out into the hall by the same teacher, and spanked. That mercifully never happened to me.

that teacher was lucky she never encountered an angry parent with influence.

drlaugh
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2016, 9:36 pm

What substitute system do your schools use
A. Centralized through the district
B. Centralized through an outside employment agency

C-ish. Do you believe teachers, subs and Para Educators are better trained than they were in the
1. 50's - 80's
2. 80's - 2000's
3. 00's - Now
8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2016, 9:40 pm

^^^ our local schools [mason county Washington] do it via the district. and no question about it, old-school teachers [1950s] were FAR better trained than now.