Page 3 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2016, 7:24 am

Where is the line then between the actual definition and the subjective use of political correctness?
I'm glad its not PC to be 'xyz-ist' anymore, but I dislike people using the term to qualify as a victim.
Yeah political mistakes were made, it was wrong, but that was then, its not perfect but at least now PC exists to tackle the residual effects of legislative/policy failures, its not supposed to be a method to dis-empower marginalised groups into a state of cyclical paralysis.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2016, 7:48 am

To be overly politically-correct means to be sued for sexual harassment for complimenting a woman on her elegant dress.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2016, 8:13 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
To be overly politically-correct means to be sued for sexual harassment for complimenting a woman on her elegant dress.

I think we're overly politically correct on WP. We can't talk about
[Message redacted]
I have loads of questions to ask but I think they won't be welcome.

Happy Easter.

Last edited by Adamantium on 27 Mar 2016, 8:44 am, edited 2 times in total.: racist content

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2016, 8:40 am

0_equals_true wrote:
If people are doing something to try an limit another narrative, then it is political correctness in my view, regardless of whether it fits the stereotype of what we expect of political correctness.

If you take that as written, you are suggesting that no limits should ever be placed on any narrative. Applied without judgment, this invites crackpots, nutters and extremists to hijack every conversation and redirect it to their favorite narratives.

It may seem reasonable to propose that you respond by debating their extremist issues, but it has also been observed that this reactive mode means that they are always setting the agenda and can disrupt any narrative by barging in with their propaganda.

An example might be a racist inserting a plea to discuss their racist theories on an autism forum and complain about the moderation of that forum in the middle of a discussion about the idea of "PC."

A wise response is: No. That's not going to happen.

You can deride it as PC all you want. It's still not going to happen. There are plenty of other outlets for that kind of thing and you can go to one of those places and share that narrative to your heart's content. It's not going to happen here.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2016, 8:50 am

We all know that the Reptoids from Arcturus are taking over the World. But our current descent into slavery to these alien overlords is not part of the "accepted narrative".

So they use PC to censor folks like me who speak the truth about it!

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2016, 9:13 am

Discussion of locked topics is prohibited by WrongPlanet rules.
viewtopic.php?t=12459

Feel free to use your freedom of speech to do that somewhere else, you are not free to do it here. Any posts here revisiting a recently locked topic elsewhere on this board will be removed.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2016, 10:26 am

My intellectual hobby is discussing the socio-political context and meaning of various types of works of art from movies, to video games, to novels, and other sorts of expression across the colorful landscape of human experience.

One thing I've noticed is becoming more common is that you can't chat about the aforementioned with like-minded individuals without at least one self-righteous anti-SJW screaming about how you're being PC and that you should "just shut up." Yes, because those of us with a curious mindset should avoid talking about certain subjects because it makes people who are ultra-paranoid about "PC culture" uncomfortable. I fail to see how that supports "free speech." Seriously, don't expect me to take you seriously if your only retort to one of my points is, "You're being PC!"

My personal opinion is that people who are obsessed with being PC and "inclusive," and the folks who fervently crusade against anything that could even be remotely construed as "PC" are both only interested is making sure all discussions should stay firmly within the bounds of what they personally deem "acceptable," and advocate actively suppressing anything that doesn't meet those standards.

Bah.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2016, 11:26 am

If I was a minority ... oh, wait, I am in at least four or five ways ... I would be extremely offended at the PC movement and its cheerleaders. Are they so lacking the intellectual fortitude necessary to articulate well their ideas? Apparently, so. To paraphrase a common prayer: "Oh, PC gods, please protect me from your followers."

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2016, 12:27 pm

PC to me means I have to walk on eggshells all the time and not have freedom of expression, if I let out a fart even, someone is going to be offended, heck even saying the word fart someone is offended. Its really stupid, just speaking in slang is politically incorrect.

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2016, 2:06 pm

Adamantium wrote:
An example might be a racist inserting a plea to discuss their racist theories on an autism forum and complain about the moderation of that forum in the middle of a discussion about the idea of "PC."

A wise response is: No. That's not going to happen.

You can deride it as PC all you want. It's still not going to happen. There are plenty of other outlets for that kind of thing and you can go to one of those places and share that narrative to your heart's content. It's not going to happen here.

I don't know if you are making a strawman, or this was more of a general point.

I have always been very clear that freedom of speech or any citizen's right is a law of the land it is not law over an private individual or group. We don't have rights over WP.

We are publishing here under privilege not under right. It is against the rights of publisher to force them to publish anything they don't want, it is not out right being protected in that case. The fact that we have some 'freedom" here doesn't mean we should conflate. it with democracy.

This is not some alien concept to me I understand it well.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2016, 2:07 pm

Adamantium wrote:
viewtopic.php?t=12459

Feel free to use your freedom of speech to do that somewhere else, you are not free to do it here. Any posts here revisiting a recently locked topic elsewhere on this board will be removed.

Bit confused. Am I missing something?

Have you confused me with someone else?

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2016, 2:09 pm

XFilesGeek wrote:
My personal opinion is that people who are obsessed with being PC and "inclusive," and the folks who fervently crusade against anything that could even be remotely construed as "PC" are both only interested is making sure all discussions should stay firmly within the bounds of what they personally deem "acceptable," and advocate actively suppressing anything that doesn't meet those standards.

Not me, talk all you want sounds interesting.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2016, 3:01 pm

Yigeren wrote:

I'm not sure that I'd call not using the "n-word" or other slurs political correctness. It's simply a matter of respect.

My n-word reference not about calling somebody that. What I had in mind was saying something like Joe called Evan a n****r vs Joe used the n-word. Political correctness has gone further then that now it is Joe is no longer working for us (can't say fired) because he used offensive language. n****r is an offensive word. Refusing to use n****r in when describing somebody calling others n****r only blurs how offensive calling others n****r is.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2016, 4:14 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
We all know that the Reptoids from Arcturus are taking over the World. But our current descent into slavery to these alien overlords is not part of the "accepted narrative".

So they use PC to censor folks like me who speak the truth about it!

Your statement is not politically incorrect. It is simply incorrect.

Let's get a few facts straight.

- We do not censor people who get in our way. We replace them.
- We do not take the people of Earth as slaves. We take people as livestock.
- We are not from Arcturus. We are from Alpha Draconis. Buying real estate in Arcturus is almost as impossible as getting a reservation at Dorsia.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2016, 5:02 pm

0_equals_true wrote:
Adamantium wrote:
viewtopic.php?t=12459

Bit confused. Am I missing something?

Have you confused me with someone else?

Don't worry, I figure you were talking to Tequila.