Page 3 of 3 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Edenthiel
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2016, 3:00 pm

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
Admittedly, as much as I've obsessed over Manjaro, there are things I do miss about Xubuntu, like the greater amount of information out there pertaining to Ubuntu-based distros.

I've found that to largely be negated by much of that information becoming outdated as Canonical made more and more unfortunate choices (which often predicated the need for more info as the changes caused the distro to become more and more proprietary).

My opinion (only!):
If you want the absolute most information for problem solving & doing unusual things, go with straight Debian (upon which Ubuntu is built).
If you want the greatest convenience and ease of setup go with Manjaro (which is based on Arch although it is not Aarch, as they say).
If you want something in-between ...go with Ubuntu? Mint Debian? Mint Ubuntu?

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2016, 2:22 am

The newly released Ubuntu LTS (16.04) has received a bit of a slating from some quarters.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2016, 10:15 am

The 15.x and 16.04 beta releases of Xubuntu are what caused me to jump ship to Manjaro, but I'm starting to question why I keep using "niche" distros that aren't as well supported as their parent distros. I'm actually considering jumping ship - again - to straight Arch Linux.

dcj123
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2016, 11:37 am

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
I'm actually considering jumping ship - again - to straight Arch Linux.

There is power in the dark side of computing, join me and together we can rule the galaxy!

Or at very least play around the wiki and AUR while avoiding the forums full of people with a God complex cause they know something you don't. I admit the forums aren't that bad but some of the conversations there expect you to have a programming degree.

Of course your late to the party, I got Linux from Scratch working on that other PC of mine and I might jump ship to it. Though I admit I would not bother if I wasn't unemployed since Arch Linux is awesome.

Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 Jun 2016, 5:56 am

I'm testing some distros at the moment.

the question that is getting important at the moment not which distro but which kind of release.
a stable release or rolling release which is more important for me when you don't like changes?

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2016, 11:57 am

dcj123 wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
I'm actually considering jumping ship - again - to straight Arch Linux.

There is power in the dark side of computing, join me and together we can rule the galaxy!

Or at very least play around the wiki and AUR while avoiding the forums full of people with a God complex cause they know something you don't. I admit the forums aren't that bad but some of the conversations there expect you to have a programming degree.

Of course your late to the party, I got Linux from Scratch working on that other PC of mine and I might jump ship to it. Though I admit I would not bother if I wasn't unemployed since Arch Linux is awesome.

Performance wise, what would LFS offer over something like Gentoo?

Edenthiel
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2016, 1:40 pm

138 wrote:
I'm testing some distros at the moment.

the question that is getting important at the moment not which distro but which kind of release.
a stable release or rolling release which is more important for me when you don't like changes?

If it's a system that I'm going to use on a daily basis, or one that I just want to work *and* I have no overwhelming compelling reason to go with cutting edge, I always choose stability. For testing and play, rolling is fun but I've been burned too many times when someone forgot that some people don't use the same hardware as the testers. Usually not a big deal to fix but it's a PITA when I just want to look something up and the X server won't start because a dev forgot to update the touchpad support with the new syntax (or other minor stupidities). For work I only go with LTS or equivalent if available & never rolling releases.

Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 Jun 2016, 5:48 am

On my laptop it didn't matter much what i installed it run pretty much every distro.
right now i'm deciding between opensuse and arch based distro's manjaro/antergos.

gmad1
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

06 Jun 2016, 12:41 pm

Manjaro or Arch Linux.

Nine7752
Toucan
Toucan

06 Jun 2016, 8:59 pm

How to you folk get time to install so many distros? I mean if you're using the system for work or school or lifestuff, or trying to keep persistent information, it's a lot of infrastructure work. That said, I do love Arch, so maybe you could criticize me for taking that harder route. But on the ~8 machines I manage only one has Arch, which is an evolving masterpiece. The others are servers with Ubuntu or one old pure Debian that I am so so eager to turn off someday. Oh wait, three are Debian. Whatever.

Oh look! 29 updates to apply to Arch today to get to the very bleeding edge! Must run and

Code:
sudo pacman -Syu
right away!

Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Jun 2016, 5:53 am

i don't have the time for that, but for testing out which one to use just doenload it put it on a usb for live testing, when it doesnt work next distro up to a few and for now i've installed opensuse tumbleweed. opensuse gave me a better impression than antergos and manjaro.

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2016, 8:15 am

I gave a trial spin to Antix recently - it looked quite interesting and the live disk was one of very few which would run on one of my old laptops that has only 2 GB of RAM.

When I installed it to a hard drive however, I found that about 60% of the menus accessible from the desktop were in RUSSIAN, the remainder being in English. I didn't select any of the Russian language options in the setup process, or give my geographical location as Moscow, and the live disk was entirely in English. Very strange.....