Page 1 of 3 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

lorkaan
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 Mar 2016, 5:05 pm

Heyo guys and gals,

Out of curiosity, how many of you use Linux on your machines?

And if you do use Linux, which distro do you like?

lorkaan

26 Mar 2016, 5:31 pm

I should probably start lol

I personally love to use Ubuntu Precise Pangolin, but now I gotta use Trusty Tahr if I use Ubuntu, which isnt as horrible as I remember it being.

I tried using Nix at one point, while I did enjoy it, I thought it took alot of work to get things running and set up.

Currently, I am supposed to have OpenSUSE 13.1 on my computer (partitioned with Windows 10 :( ), but I havn't been able to access it at the moment.

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2016, 6:51 pm

BunsenLabs Linux. BunsenLabs is the community supported continuation of the old CrunchBang Linux Distro, which was a spin on Debian Stable that was discontinued in early 2015 when the sole developer lost interest in maintaning further development. CrunchBang was based on and utilised Debian's Wheezy repos while BunsenLabs is based on and uses Debian's Jessie Repos.

--BunsenLabs is one of the 'geekier' spins of Debian Stable.

Edenthiel
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2016, 10:32 pm

I mainly use Debian 'cause it fits into tiny places like small ARM-powered things with network ports & the like. But Manjaro has really grown on me as a nice desktop OS. Long ago I was a huge Slackware fangirl, then RedHat, then Ubuntu...then I just drifted & settled on Debian for the most part. I still try others every time I need to do a fresh install, just to see what's new.

Nachtkrieger822
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Mar 2016, 6:30 pm

I've got my main computer running windows 10 because its a gaming computer and as we all know, game devs just do not support Linux yet... My laptop off the side of the gaming system though runs the newest version of Ubuntu. I've tried a few and it seems to get along with the hardware in the computer the best. I tried to get a Debian distro to run first but it kept freezing on installation, something about to many logical processors or something along those lines. Linux mint also couldn't get past the installation with a similar driver conflict and I really didn't want to use the distro enough to rebuild the image with different drivers. Ubuntu however booted UEFI off the USB with no issues and installed along side windows 10 without any problems other than the headache of getting the GRUB loader installed over the Secure boot Windows Boot Manager.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 153 of 200 - Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 72 of 200
Officially ASD Level 1 - No Intellectual/Language Impairment, Unofficially I say I'm an Aspie

Seid ihr das essen? Nein, wir sind die Jäger

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2016, 1:06 am

I've got Ubuntu 15.10 on one of my laptops. I tried initially to install it alongside Windows 8.1, but this ran into problems, so I did a clean install.

I've only used it so far for the internet, and for playing around with the LibreOffice Writer word processor. It's disappointing not to be able to listen to radio stations on the BBC iplayer, as Flash Player is needed for this and installing it doesn't seem very straightforward at all on this operating system.

Dwightfry
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Mar 2016, 2:36 pm

I really liked CrunchBang Linux, now i mainly use Ubuntu.
I like to used to try a lot of different distros, even Arch...... evil Arch, it still hurts...

That concrete you are trying to dig through is 9 feet thick, it's reenforced with hardend steel, it's designed to withstand a nuclear blast."It doesn't matter. If you pound annything long enough, it'll give"
-Jimmy Bond, The Lone gunmen

Edenthiel
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2016, 9:14 pm

Windows 10!

(Microsoft and Canonical announced at a dev conference today that they've been working together to "bring Linux to Windows". And, they say, it won't just be a ported BASH shell and GNU utilities like Cygwin...instead it will be...(wait for it)...a BASH shell and CLI utilities. Yeah, their presentation was that muddied.)

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2016, 5:48 pm

Edenthiel wrote:
Windows 10!

(Microsoft and Canonical announced at a dev conference today that they've been working together to "bring Linux to Windows". And, they say, it won't just be a ported BASH shell and GNU utilities like Cygwin...instead it will be...(wait for it)...a BASH shell and CLI utilities. Yeah, their presentation was that muddied.)

Ucchhh! A match made in hell.

Edenthiel
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2016, 5:56 pm

Fogman wrote:
Edenthiel wrote:
Windows 10!

Ucchhh! A match made in hell.

"Embrace, Extend, Extinguish..."

-Microsoft internal slogan to describe its strategy for entering product categories involving widely used standards, extending those standards with proprietary capabilities, and then using those differences to disadvantage its competitors. I think it started as far back as the 1990 Browser Wars.

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2016, 7:25 pm

DeepHour wrote:
I've got Ubuntu 15.10 on one of my laptops. I tried initially to install it alongside Windows 8.1, but this ran into problems, so I did a clean install.

I've only used it so far for the internet, and for playing around with the LibreOffice Writer word processor. It's disappointing not to be able to listen to radio stations on the BBC iplayer, as Flash Player is needed for this and installing it doesn't seem very straightforward at all on this operating system.

Later discovered it's available via the 'Restricted Extras' package, and installed it via the Terminal. Was relieved to have executed my first sudo command without wrecking the operating system. :lol:

Nine7752
Toucan
Toucan

01 Apr 2016, 7:38 pm

I like Arch these days. Haven't been bitten by the bleeding edge yet, but probably will have an emergency "learning session" someday, and still love it. I like learning as I compute, and some of the newgen utilties (ip, ss, netctl) are nice.

I have Ubuntu on some servers and another desktop. Since I use i3, I am not exposed to the Unity bloat and ads. I was dubious of it for servers, but it's actually worked out quite well.

slenkar
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2016, 7:39 pm

I used to use Ubuntu it tried to upgrade itself online but it didn't have te address of the new version so it failed

Puppy Linux is simple and fast but probably has disadvantages

Britte
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2016, 4:54 pm

lorkaan wrote:
Heyo guys and gals,

Out of curiosity, how many of you use Linux on your machines?

I frequently wish I possessed the ability.

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2016, 8:52 pm

^ I think you'd find the basics of Ubuntu very intuitive to pick up, and simpler than Windows in many respects, Britte, certainly as far as using the internet is concerned. The screenshot shows how uncluttered the basic layout is. I had no idea how to produce a screenshot using Ubuntu 60 seconds before executing this one, simply typing the word into the search feature brought up the required application instantly.

Edenthiel
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2016, 4:50 pm

Also with almost all major Linux distros there are tutorials to help you download the .ISO (cd/dvd image file) and write it to a disk or usb drive. And the really great thing about that is you can then boot up and run it off the disk or usb thumbdrive without affecting the rest of your computer.