Page 1 of 3 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Edenthiel
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2016, 4:50 pm

Also with almost all major Linux distros there are tutorials to help you download the .ISO (cd/dvd image file) and write it to a disk or usb drive. And the really great thing about that is you can then boot up and run it off the disk or usb thumbdrive without affecting the rest of your computer.

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2016, 5:32 pm

Fogman wrote:
Edenthiel wrote:
Windows 10!

(Microsoft and Canonical announced at a dev conference today that they've been working together to "bring Linux to Windows". And, they say, it won't just be a ported BASH shell and GNU utilities like Cygwin...instead it will be...(wait for it)...a BASH shell and CLI utilities. Yeah, their presentation was that muddied.)

Ucchhh! A match made in hell.

Furthermore, from what I just read on Distrowatch this thing appears to be a translation layer like WINE in reverse. One commenter said of this that it should be called URINE to reflect this. --I agree.

Edenthiel
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2016, 6:07 pm

Fogman wrote:
Fogman wrote:
Edenthiel wrote:
Windows 10!

(Microsoft and Canonical announced at a dev conference today that they've been working together to "bring Linux to Windows". And, they say, it won't just be a ported BASH shell and GNU utilities like Cygwin...instead it will be...(wait for it)...a BASH shell and CLI utilities. Yeah, their presentation was that muddied.)

Ucchhh! A match made in hell.

Furthermore, from what I just read on Distrowatch this thing appears to be a translation layer like WINE in reverse. One commenter said of this that it should be called URINE to reflect this. --I agree.

I love it! :heart:

SpacedOutAndSmiling
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Apr 2016, 10:56 am

For personal use Desktop i like Ubuntu, it seems to have the largest community behind it.

For servers, CentOS (mostly as thats because its what i know / use in word).

Some of the best laptops for running linux are the older MacBooks. They can be found second hand really cheap and most of the Mac hardware is well supported under linux as so many people use them.

I focus on being autistically happy and I write a website with techniques, reviews and guides. http://spacedoutandsmiling.com

TheInfinityGap
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Apr 2016, 11:35 am

i currently use cub linux, which is essentially an ubuntu version of chrome os. intuitive as chrome, whilst allowing gaming use. :D

(altho I do miss arch linux. arch still is my fave, but unfortunately i'm now far too lazy to work with getting all my programs working with arch. it's easier to just use ubuntu atm :3 )

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2016, 5:43 pm

Here's what I'm currently using:

Code:
 ██████████████████  ████████     d00d@athlon860k-manjaro
 ██████████████████  ████████     OS: Manjaro 16.06-pre2 Daniella
 ██████████████████  ████████     Kernel: x86_64 Linux 4.4.6-1-MANJARO
 ██████████████████  ████████     Uptime: 3d 12h 50m
 ████████            ████████     Packages: 1344
 ████████  ████████  ████████     Shell: bash 4.3.42
 ████████  ████████  ████████     Resolution: 1920x1080
           ████████  ████████     DE: KDE5
 ████████  ████████  ████████     WM: KWin
 ████████  ████████  ████████     GTK Theme: Maia [GTK2/3]
 ████████  ████████  ████████     Icon Theme: maia
 ████████  ████████  ████████     Font: Noto Sans Regular
 ████████  ████████  ████████     CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860K Quad Core @ 3.7GHz
 ████████  ████████  ████████     GPU: Gallium 0.4 on AMD CAPE VERDE (DRM 2.43.0, LLVM 3.7.1)
 ████████  ████████  ████████     RAM: 2173MiB / 15974MiB
 ████████  ████████  ████████   

Manjaro is awesome. It's basically to Arch what Ubuntu is to Debian, only better. It is a little bit more hands-on than Ubuntu-based distros, and it does sometimes require you to look things up online, but overall I find its package management system and documentation to be far superior to Ubuntu's. My favorite part is easily the AUR, since it gives you access to a huge array of community-maintained software without having to screw around with third party repos and PPAs like you would on Ubuntu.

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2016, 5:05 pm

After a handful of false starts and a fair amount of trial and error, I've managed to install Mageia 5 to a couple of my computers.

I've now got a dual-booting setup on my Dell E6410 Latitude laptop, which enables the use of Windows 7 purely for gaming with the internet disconnected (no Microsoft upgrades or antivirus to mess things up), and Linux for web browsing. The Firefox browser seems to work a lot more smoothly here than on Windows, by the way.

Also installed Mageia to run from an external hard drive on my Windows 8.1 desktop computer. Didn't want to risk trying to put it on the internal drive as it's got GPT partitioning and is in a UEFI based machine. I'm still not absolutely sure whether this counts as a genuine 'Dual Boot' setup. Linux must presumably be booted by Grub 2, but the boot screen at startup also refers to the 'Windows Boot Manager' on sda. Furthermore on the BIOS screen, the internal hard drive boot option has disappeared and been replaced simply by the word 'Mageia'. :?

Mageia was the first Linux distro I tried on a live disk, and I instantly fell for its very competent and professional looking presentation and classy aesthetics with the cauldron logo and the deep blue outer space background, which looks particularly impressive on the KDE desktop. I don't use it for much more than the internet at the moment (where its performance is excellent) so can't form a very meaningful overall judgement but I'm slowly getting to grips with using the terminal, Bash script and all the rest, which will no doubt extend the possibilities of the system immensely for me, as well as being interesting for its own sake.

Last edited by DeepHour on 18 May 2016, 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RushKing
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2016, 8:01 pm

Manjaro Gnome

Code:
 ██████████████████  ████████
 ██████████████████  ████████     OS: Manjaro 15.12 Capella
 ██████████████████  ████████     Kernel: x86_64 Linux 4.4.9-1-MANJARO
 ██████████████████  ████████     Uptime: 0m
 ████████            ████████     Packages: 1361
 ████████  ████████  ████████     Shell: bash 4.3.42
 ████████  ████████  ████████     Resolution: 3840x1080
           ████████  ████████     DE: Gnome
 ████████  ████████  ████████     WM: GNOME Shell
 ████████  ████████  ████████     WM Theme: Adwaita
 ████████  ████████  ████████     GTK Theme: Adwaita [GTK2/3]
 ████████  ████████  ████████     Icon Theme: Adwaita
 ████████  ████████  ████████     Font: Cantarell 11
 ████████  ████████  ████████     CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 CPU @ 3.7GHz
 ████████  ████████  ████████     GPU: GeForce GTX 960
 ████████  ████████  ████████     RAM: 648MiB / 7924MiB

Last edited by RushKing on 18 May 2016, 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2016, 8:03 pm

Slackware! Since the installer is character-cell based, it installs on anything, even if it can be a PITA at times.

dcj123
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2016, 9:57 am

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
Manjaro is awesome. It's basically to Arch what Ubuntu is to Debian, only better. It is a little bit more hands-on than Ubuntu-based distros, and it does sometimes require you to look things up online, but overall I find its package management system and documentation to be far superior to Ubuntu's. My favorite part is easily the AUR, since it gives you access to a huge array of community-maintained software without having to screw around with third party repos and PPAs like you would on Ubuntu.

I thought you used Windows 7?

Do you dual boot or is this another PC?

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2016, 12:45 pm

dcj123 wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

I use Manjaro almost full time now. Truthfully, Windows 7 is still easier to use and better for gaming, but Linux is fascinating and there's always something to learn when you're using it.

dcj123
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2016, 2:13 pm

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
dcj123 wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

I use Manjaro almost full time now. Truthfully, Windows 7 is still easier to use and better for gaming, but Linux is fascinating and there's always something to learn when you're using it.

okay install this then

Its awesome and lets you emulate every system known to man. you have to get the cores from the AUR separately.

Hey does your GZDoom screw up on Manjaro? Mine loads every mod but I have to play brutal doom on windows because it crashes immediately with a fatal error.

butyouseemso
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

19 May 2016, 4:56 pm

Long term (several years) Kubuntu user here. Ubuntu was my first distro and after trying KDE I switched to Kubuntu fairly quickly. I'll stay with KDE although I may consider other distros in time.

(For those not quite sure, KDE is a desktop environment, available on several distros; Ubuntu is a well-known distro that uses Gnome (now Unity) by default but offers a KDE flavour called Kubuntu.)

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2016, 2:13 am

dcj123 wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
dcj123 wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

okay install this then

Its awesome and lets you emulate every system known to man. you have to get the cores from the AUR separately.

Hey does your GZDoom screw up on Manjaro? Mine loads every mod but I have to play brutal doom on windows because it crashes immediately with a fatal error.

I haven't tried GZDoom, though I had to do some tinkering with libraries to get Duke Nukem 3D: Megaton Edition working. In particular, I had to install libsmpeg2 from the AUR and edit the pkgbuild to use " g++ -std=gnu++98". This was necessary so I could install the 32-bit version of libsdl2_mixer.

It may seem like a weird solution, but have you thought of running the Windows version of GZDoom in Wine? I might give it a shot myself.

As for Retroarch, I've used it. I'm not the biggest fan of its user interface, and I think it would work better with a more traditional mouse-driven interface with all the options it has, but it is a pretty decent emulation package.

By the way, does anyone here know how to disable automatic text copying on KDE? It gets really annoying when I highlight a block of text and it gets added to the clipboard, overtaking the last item I've added. Often I'll highlight things to emphasize them when I'm reading, or when I want to delete a block of text and replace it with what I have on the clipboard. Really, i just want to make the clipboard act more like Windows.

CryptoNerd
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 May 2016, 8:59 am

Currently I use Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope and Slackware 14.1, both running in virtual machines on top of the native Mac OS X. I haven't installed Slackware to the hard drive yet; I'm still running it from the ISO file in "live CD" mode while I learn the ropes of the programs (mainly fdisk and pkgtool) needed to install it to the hard drive. I've used Debian in the past, but didn't really like how I had to search the Internet for the right drivers. Ubuntu comes with everything pre-installed. But it's also nice to have a distro like Slackware that forces you to do everything yourself.

I came up with a nice slogan for Slackware, my new favorite distro:

Slackware has no half-naked girls, no flashy pre-installed graphics, no user-friendly package manager, and no idiot-proof interface. If you want all that, find some other distro.

plootark

20 May 2016, 9:47 am

I used to really like Arch until last time I had to do an install I didn't fancy spending a whole evening on it. So I stuck Mint on instead. I was really impressed. It took about 15 minutes and it was done. Everything just worked, even the wifi.

I didn't know about Manjaro before. That looks really interesting, I will consider that next time I need to reinstall.