What sounds and textures drive you crazy?

Page 1 of 4 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

mikeman7918
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2016, 9:10 pm

Good old sensory processing issues, gotta' love it. :roll:

I can't stand the sound and texture of balloons, the sound and texture of styrofoam, the squeaky sound made by a wet shoe against a smooth tile surface, the texture of certain kinds of plastic, the texture of celery and onions (as well as other foods that are wet and crunchy), and the sound of the rap part in this song.

What sounds and textures drive you to wits end?

Diagnosed with Asperger's, ADD, and Generalized Anxiety Disorder in 2004.
In denial that it was a problem until early 2016.

Deviant Art

SpaceAgeBushRanger
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Mar 2016, 9:24 pm

I've got most of those.

There are some voices that I hate as well. Particularly children or high-pitched women.

Most toothpaste tastes like poison to me. I'm forced to use the children's stuff.

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2016, 9:36 pm

There is a certain quality of voices that I call 'trumpet like'. It is not limited to men or women. But it's bad. I have to cover my ears. kinda embarrassing, especially if it's that 'trumpet' quality in the laugh alone. That happened while I was dating someone. Everything was good until she laughed. How silly is that?

Certain pitches and tones give me troubles. Some sounds induce panic. Makes riding trains difficult sometimes as the bang and clangs induce a bit of panic.

Like crunchy foods. Fill my soups and stuff with as much cracker as possible. Not much for thin watery soups. Not a fan of mushy foods. Stews must have something to bite into.

Can't eat apples or pears because of the texture, even though I like the flavor.

Don't like most non-natural fibers. Really hate tight things, but always keep my arms and legs covered, hands in pockets.

High pitched sounds really go through me hard. When a kid, I could hear the TV get turned on from across the house. For the youngun's, that was in the old days when TVs were tube driven electronics. It would emit a high pitched whine when it warmed up and burned off the moisture collected in the system.

Hate to go to movies because of the sound overload.

Can't stand things on my neck at all. Hate to have my body hair not in its proper direction. Makes going to sleep interesting sometimes as I keep trying to make my hair lay right as I put my head down.

Can't stand anything in my shoe that makes things 'bumpy'. Seams in socks, any slightest thing that gets in the shoe.

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13
Aspie Quiz -- 186 out of 200
AQ: 42
AQ-10: 8.8

thehandler
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Mar 2016, 10:00 pm

The sound of chewing makes me want to have meltdown. It doesn't help that my dad is an extremely loud chewer - if he eats I either have to blast my headphones or leave the room altogether. It's deafening to me but my mom still gets mad no matter how much I try to explain.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2016, 10:06 pm

thehandler wrote:
The sound of chewing makes me want to have meltdown. It doesn't help that my dad is an extremely loud chewer - if he eats I either have to blast my headphones or leave the room altogether. It's deafening to me but my mom still gets mad no matter how much I try to explain.

i have this, too. there's a gene for it, which i was tested for by 23 and me. i have it. it's called misophonia.

aspieff14
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Mar 2016, 10:38 pm

For me it's very loud talking and screaming and screechy voices push my limits.

My in-laws and my wife when with her family are like that, it's like they all try to out loud the other. I always I the other room with my headphones on, not always listening to music or anything just using them as a buffer.

Textures have to be smooth or it drives me crazy. The best thing I can think of is tag less shirts. The tags would bother me until the clothes are broke in even rough feeling materials can't be close to my skin.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 127 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 87 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

Austinfrom1995
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2016, 10:49 pm

I cannot stand the sound of a crinkling plastic bag!

Nachtkrieger822
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Mar 2016, 11:37 pm

The sound of a nail file drive me absolutely insane, I actually just got a chill thinking about the sound.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 153 of 200 - Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 72 of 200
Officially ASD Level 1 - No Intellectual/Language Impairment, Unofficially I say I'm an Aspie

Seid ihr das essen? Nein, wir sind die Jäger

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2016, 11:41 pm

Here's an example of something that should bother me, but doesn't. The sound of a dentist drill. I hate dentists and all things associated with them.

But that sound does not bother me. I used to use a Paasche Turbine airbrush like this:
ImageSounded like a dentist's drill. Never bugged me. Not even as a kid.

The grinding sound the drill made when worked on did, but not the turbine.

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13
Aspie Quiz -- 186 out of 200
AQ: 42
AQ-10: 8.8

tatals
Raven
Raven

28 Mar 2016, 12:09 am

mikeman7918 wrote:
Good old sensory processing issues, gotta' love it. :roll:

I can't stand the sound and texture of balloons, the sound and texture of styrofoam, the squeaky sound made by a wet shoe against a smooth tile surface, the texture of certain kinds of plastic, the texture of celery and onions (as well as other foods that are wet and crunchy), and the sound of the rap part in this song.

What sounds and textures drive you to wits end?

I can relate to your aversion to balloons and styrofoam. Can't handle those. Also, I hate the sound of dry skin rubbing against dry skin (for example, someone rubbing hands), or the sound of fabric against paper. Well, 'dry' sounds.

tatals
Raven
Raven

28 Mar 2016, 12:18 am

Also, I can't stand high-pitched voices, motorcycles, and the sound of people breathing - some people breath very 'heavily'.

As for food, I don't eat anything with cod-like texture. There's a kind of sweet in my country that is made with pumpkins (I have no idea if it exists in English-speaking countries, but this is what it looks like: http://natalia.blog.br/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/doce-de-ab%C3%B3bora-com-coco.jpg); I love the taste of it, but I can't eat it because of its texture.

JimSpark
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Mar 2016, 1:11 am

I've always been sensitive with textures around my feet. My shoes need to be light and flexible (Merrell makes a lot of good lightweight shoes and boots). Heavy stiff footwear like Doc Martens boots would lessen my will to live the longer I'd wear them. I only wear socks when I have to, and the longer they are, the worse they feel. I can't stand the feeling of wearing socks without shoes, so at home I'm either barefoot or wearing really lightweight shoes. And I won't wear any sort of slippers, that just feels weird.

But the very worst is when one or both of my socks get wet inside my shoes. If I'm in a situation where I can't just change out of them right away, I can never stop thinking about how annoying it is that I have wet socks :cry:

mikeman7918
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2016, 1:36 am

Some glass things drive me crazy, especially these glass cups that my grandparents have in their house. I can tolerate it if they are moist which is nice because they often have cold drinks in them and that causes a bit of water to condense on the surface. When I have to set the table or something I generally have to try to make minimal contact with those cups or pick them up with a paper towel. Almost all smooth glass is annoying, but some things are worse then others.

Deviant Art

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2016, 1:44 am

Going bare foot so I must wear socks at all times
My children fighting and screaming and whining and crying
Snoring
Wool on my bare skin and acrylic
Barney the purple dinosaur
People cheering and clapping
Motorcycles
Bass
Wet clothes
Babies making shrieking noises
And there was a boy in my high school who would all of a sudden shout out of the blue like he had Tics. It made me jump every time because it was unexpected.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Riik
Toucan
Toucan

28 Mar 2016, 1:59 am

Certain fabrics I really hate because they have the touch equivalent of the nails-on-chalkboard sound feeling. I have to be careful when petting dogs with wirey fur because if I do too long a stroke, it can make my hand feel all uncomfortable and tingly for hours.

I also hate "ribbed" clothing, knitted wool and sleeves with tight elastic ends. How anyone can wear such clothing, I do not know. Also, clothes labels positioned at the side of the stomach. I have to cut those off.

Shouting can really get to me, too. It hurts my head and sets my heart going... if someone then touches me suddenly whilst shouting is going on... ugh.

There are a few foods I don't like that I think texture is the main reason, too. Like peas and corn.

Loud bass can make me dizzy.

Any kind of scraping... my grandma has a set of chinese musician exercise ball things that are made of metal and aside from the awful abrasive chiming they make thanks to the bell things inside them, they scrape together horribly.

What I hate most of all is when I get an overload, which can be caused by anything if it's strong enough. The touch version I've already outlined, but the sound version causes every subsequent noise to... idk, it's hard to describe, it's like... the noises make the insides of my ears shiver uncomfortably.... regardless of how strong said noises are. It happens visually, too, where a certain motion or light or colour spectrum hurts my eyes and then every little light afterwards for an hour or so just seems way to bright and uncomfortable.

A life without tea is a life not worth living.
Latest Aspie Quiz: AS - 151, NT - 38 / RAADS-R: 195 / AQ: 38

mikeman7918
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2016, 2:20 am

Riik wrote:
I also hate "ribbed" clothing, knitted wool and sleeves with tight elastic ends. How anyone can wear such clothing, I do not know. Also, clothes labels positioned at the side of the stomach. I have to cut those off.

I can definitely relate with that.

Deviant Art