Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

KalahariMeerkat
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

09 May 2007, 1:59 pm

My mom took me out in 5th grade and homeschooled me since because the public school was not giving me the help I needed and was actualy engoragign the kids to bully me. The teachers bullyed me too.

Mykidzmom
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 May 2007, 2:47 pm

:D I have been home schooling for six years. I have boys aged 14 and 16, both with Asperger's. The boys will be starting Grade 10 and 11 in the fall.

If you are dedicated to being home or available to be with your kids anyway, homeschooling is certainly an option to check out. While it is challenging, it is a better, more peaceful life for the entire family. We no longer 'march to someone else's demands' in terms of school work. We work at our own pace, spend more time on some subjects when we need to, and have a great IPP set up with the local school system to support what we do here. We are usually finished school a full month before the regular school system, which lengthens the summers for us all.

My boys wouldn't trade it for anything. We find socialization through other activities and they have no more bullying at school to deal with.

Meltdowns have become a thing of the past!

bellablue
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 May 2007, 12:12 pm

I have just started homeschooling my 6yr old with AS. He has had a increasingly difficult time at school since kindergarten. He is very bright but school was too overwhelming for him. I loved the school and his teacher but it was just not the right environment for him. I am happy with my decision but am myself overwhelmed with the options. I am certian it will come together and be the best choice for both of us.