Autism intervention studies lack diversity, study suggests

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

untilwereturn
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Mar 2016, 4:27 pm

If only the authors of this article (as per usual) could see the irony in the fact that while they're concerned about diversity with respect to "racial and ethnic status," the entire piece talks exclusively about CHILDREN.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 133528.htm

Thank goodness autistic children all grow up to become neurotypical adults... :roll:

Violetvee
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Mar 2016, 10:39 pm

untilwereturn wrote:
If only the authors of this article (as per usual) could see the irony in the fact that while they're concerned about diversity with respect to "racial and ethnic status," the entire piece talks exclusively about CHILDREN.

Thank goodness autistic children all grow up to become neurotypical adults... :roll:

Since the research seems to be focused on identifying and/or helping autistic students in grade school, there may be no point in including autistic adults in the first place.

untilwereturn
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Mar 2016, 4:46 am

Violetvee wrote:
untilwereturn wrote:

Since the research seems to be focused on identifying and/or helping autistic students in grade school, there may be no point in including autistic adults in the first place.

But that's the problem, isn't it? The research is *always* focused on helping kids. Children do merit the extra consideration. It would just be nice if occasionally the researchers looked at ways of helping the majority of autistic people who are well over the age of 18...

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2016, 1:07 pm

That lack of research is the reason that unlike for most if not all other widespread conditions professional knowledge is appalingly lacking leading to mis and no diagnosis. Many autistics do know more and a lot more about autism then the clinicians they visit. The idea of a patient self diagnosing because they claim they know more then a proffessionally certified pro is considered preposterous and people who do that are subject to sustained criticism and for good reason. Autism seems to be an exception to the golden rule sans critism.

This is a horrible situation. While the bright hyperfocused self diagnoser may know more then most of the pros they are still drawing from a limited knowledge base and unfiltered self reports.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ShyGigyas
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Apr 2016, 10:46 am

That's very interesting how multiracial Aspies made up the second largest percentage since I myself am one and I don't know any mixed race Aspies in real life. Plus all of my autistic friends are either white or Hispanic. As far as only studying children that is pretty bogus.

untilwereturn
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Apr 2016, 11:43 am

ShyGigyas wrote:
That's very interesting how multiracial Aspies made up the second largest percentage since I myself am one and I don't know any mixed race Aspies in real life. Plus all of my autistic friends are either white or Hispanic. As far as only studying children that is pretty bogus.

I actually don't know any other Aspies around me, aside from a few kids I've met who were diagnosed. Then again, most people are diagnosed much earlier in life than I was.

Here's another example of the irrational "only kids have autism" media bias. Notice how there's not one mention of adults participating in, or potentially benefitting from yet another study:

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 134228.htm