Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

christophelambypie
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

29 Mar 2016, 6:30 pm

Does anyone have creative fixations?
My world revolves around living the day to day normality and day dreaming, looking at the world in the way that only I can..
When I see something that peaks my interest and it sparks of one of my little ideas, I have to work on that idea until I feel that I have vented the emotions that I relate to it. Its given me quite a creative life with poetry and making things from magnetic office toys to skate boards that work in a different way. Its never been just inventive ideas but emotional fixations that if I dont express, builds towards meltdowns and such.
I was just wondering if I am alone in this or if any other aspies out there can relate to it?

the_phoenix
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2016, 7:22 pm

Yes.
I've started painting.

The first thing an instructor will normally say is that
"Art has no rules and there is no right or wrong in art."
Then some of them seem displeased when you actually
break one of the "rules" that somehow suddenly seem to exist after all
when you come up with your own way of doing things ...
... because the vast majority of NT adults know and follow along with the
expected style because they want to fit in.

Meanwhile, I'll have my own vision of what I want to create,
and I usually end up having to fight for the right to express myself as I see fit,
even if it's only to say a polite "No"
(I won't do it someone else's way)
and then quietly go back to the way I was doing it.
After all, they told me there were no rules ...

And then the time just flies
and it's time to go home.

christophelambypie
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 Mar 2016, 10:26 pm

I was kicked out of art class at school, rather I had a massive verbal meltdown at my teacher who thought that I shouldn't keep painting really good pictures of fishing scenes. Odd seeing the subject matter was childhood and fishing played large part of my childhood???
Since then I have always had my own way of doing things and regardless of whether I succeed in creating something really cool or just fail miserably the most important thing remains that I let it out!!
I'm glad you have a creative release and never follow those imaginary rules that NT's seem to try to impose, it is at the end of the day you're work of art, not theirs!! :D :D :D

DaughterOfAule
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 Mar 2016, 2:11 am

the_phoenix wrote:

This drove me and my friend crazy in art class! We'd be doing our own thing and then the teacher would hover over us telling us what we should change! I remember one occasion where the teacher talked about how the artists that are famous stand out because of their unique techniques and for breaking the rules. Then she gave us strict instructions for our next piece. :x

As for creative fixation, I always have some sort of creative project in the works. I rarely wach TV without working on something, I have to keep my hands and the part of my brain not focused on the TV occupied or else I get distracted and fidgety. I rotate being periods of focusing on drawing, painting, knitting, crocheting, sewing, etc.

"I do not wish to evade the world
Yet I will forever build my own" - Tuomas Holopainen

christophelambypie
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

31 Mar 2016, 10:41 pm

DaughterOfAule wrote:
the_phoenix wrote:

This drove me and my friend crazy in art class! We'd be doing our own thing and then the teacher would hover over us telling us what we should change! I remember one occasion where the teacher talked about how the artists that are famous stand out because of their unique techniques and for breaking the rules. Then she gave us strict instructions for our next piece. :x

Completely agree with this!! How can creativity come from copying what someone else has already done??
All the great artists through out history were renowned for their own style, van cough, Picasso to name but two. I think being told exactly how you should do something is a failing on the teachers part and well done to all for not caving in and doing it your own way :D :D :D