Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Micmacs
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

29 Mar 2016, 11:16 pm

So, quick summary here: I'm writing a Heroic Fantasy novel, (that is, character focused, rather than an Epic Fantasy with world-shaking consequences.) One of the primary goals I have with writing it is to create a structurally sound and familiar plot, but without all of the tropes and cliches that normally piss me off in fantasy novels.

(If if matters, the plot is effectively True Grit by way of the Lord of the Rings. That is to say, a whoooole lot of cross-country travel.)

Along with other efforts I'm making, I want one of the two main characters to have Aspergers. But, unlike every other freakin' Aspie in fiction, I don't want to make a caricature of his symptoms or turn him into the comic relief. (The idea is that, if you aren't familiar with Aspergers and don't already know it, you'd assume he's just a socially awkward person with a few personality quirks.)

So, to help with this, I was hoping I could get some feedback from you wonderful people! His symptoms are mostly modeled around my own experiences, but tailored more to fit his personality and history.

(Important note #1: He does't know that he is on the Autism spectrum.
Important note #2: He's a wizard.)
Probably the most overt thing is his speech patterns. He never uses contractions, and speaks in a literal, long winded, and thought out manner. (This is partly because English is not his first language, but mainly to ensure that people understand what he's trying to communicate.)
He also has no sense of humor or wordplay, though this is due to an unrelated problem. (Magic related. It'd take a while to explain.)

When anxious or nervous, he'll fiddle with whatever he's got in his right hand or, if empty-handed, brush his fingers against something nearby.

He avoids eye contact and is repelled by physical contact, except when in combat. (It's a fantasy novel, there's gonna be some swordfights.)

He enjoys reading children's novels, for their short length and easy-to-follow plotlines.

He's asexual, and mostly aromantic. (This also serves as a minor story function, the other main character is female but 14 years his junior, and I want to preemptively discourage any creepy shipping.)

He's paranoid and untrusting of others he does not know, though this is in part due to a few personal betrayals in his past.

I'm shooting for 'Noticeable, but not over the top or comical', so any advice on how to do that, (Be it other suggestions for character traits, good examples in fiction that I'm unaware of, or any other suggestions,) is greatly appreciated! I'd like to do this right.

deafghost52
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Mar 2016, 10:33 am

Micmacs wrote:
(Important note #1: He does't know that he is on the Autism spectrum.
Important note #2: He's a wizard.)
Probably the most overt thing is his speech patterns. He never uses contractions, and speaks in a literal, long winded, and thought out manner. (This is partly because English is not his first language, but mainly to ensure that people understand what he's trying to communicate.)
He also has no sense of humor or wordplay, though this is due to an unrelated problem. (Magic related. It'd take a while to explain.)

When anxious or nervous, he'll fiddle with whatever he's got in his right hand or, if empty-handed, brush his fingers against something nearby.

He avoids eye contact and is repelled by physical contact, except when in combat. (It's a fantasy novel, there's gonna be some swordfights.)

He enjoys reading children's novels, for their short length and easy-to-follow plotlines.

He's asexual, and mostly aromantic. (This also serves as a minor story function, the other main character is female but 14 years his junior, and I want to preemptively discourage any creepy shipping.)

He's paranoid and untrusting of others he does not know, though this is in part due to a few personal betrayals in his past.

So, funny coincidence, but I had a friend in college who is a lot like your character - in fact, the funniest thing about it is that the letters "wza" were on his license plate, and I made a joke of it once by saying "So, you're a wizard, then?" A little later (probably a few weeks or a month or something), he, my ex, and I were all sitting down in my dorm room just hanging out, and when he sat down a quarter randomly popped out of nowhere and starting rolling on the floor for quite a long time, and none of us could figure out where the hell it came from, and so I just shouted "See! I knew it! You're a wizard!" and we all just laughed our a$$es off.
Anyways, I can't really think of much to add to your character that might help (at least at the moment), but I'll try to think of some stuff that might help. ;)

-- Claude Debussy

Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2016, 11:41 am

^^What a great idea! I'll be looking forward to reading it if you ever want to share it! I love fantasy novels! :) Good for you!

A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? That's why sometimes it can be mistaken and a different thing. But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel.” Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

Micmacs
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

30 Mar 2016, 1:02 pm

Kuraudo777 wrote:
^^What a great idea! I'll be looking forward to reading it if you ever want to share it! I love fantasy novels! :) Good for you!

Well, I'd be glad to share what I've already got done if you'd like. It's still the rough draft, and I'm only about 1/4 done (give or take,) but I'd be happy to send it your way anyhow. (And I can always use feedback and a fresh opinion/perspective!)

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2016, 2:20 pm

It's great that you want to write a realistic Aspie character. The important thing is to make the Asperger's subtle and not have every single thing about the character reflect their Asperger's. Having the character be completely literal and have no sense of humour sounds kind of unrealistic. Good luck—it sounds like something I would enjoy reading!

Micmacs
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

30 Mar 2016, 2:32 pm

TheAP wrote:
It's great that you want to write a realistic Aspie character. The important thing is to make the Asperger's subtle and not have every single thing about the character reflect their Asperger's. Having the character be completely literal and have no sense of humour sounds kind of unrealistic. Good luck—it sounds like something I would enjoy reading!

To expand on those traits a little:
The 'Literal speech' thing isn't 100%. He uses metaphors and comparisons and such. (He does use exact wording in order to mislead people without *technically* lying to them, but that's in rare cases.)

As for the humor, it's at least partly due to a sort of mental trauma from overusing magic. (It's more complicated than that, but I'd have to explain how magic works in this setting before I could explain in more detail.)

shadowtag
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Mar 2016, 3:15 pm

Interesting story idea,which reminds me of something I have been trying to write though not fantasy but the main character is partly a projection of myself,with the emphasis on sensory issues and overcoming fear in general,especially social phobia,though distinct and the conception of autism as we understand it does not quite exist in the character's universe. Anywho it seems like you have a well defined idea for your main character,I would not mind seeing how your story turns out,sounds interesting.