PS4K confirmed, higher specs and possibly higher price

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

xenocity
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2016, 10:09 pm

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.ph ... ostcount=1.

It's been officially been confirmed that PS4K will have higher specs than the current PS4.
Sources are claiming it will have 2x the GPU and most likely a new CPU with higher clockspeeds.
It will also have a 4K Blu-ray player.
The system will have 4K output and non 4K media and games will be upressed to 4K.

Games can now be developed with 4K in mind.

The price is expected to be between $399-$499.
Release is expected to be no earlier than Q1 2017.

Earthbound
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2016, 10:19 pm

First off- some Neogaf leak is only a rumor at this point. Please don't say its confirmed until it actually is by SONY! (Which I don't see yet).

In my view- a PS4 that played PS3, PS2 and PS1 games would be much much better than most other stuff they put out. So tired of console makers leaving out backwards compatibility due to their nonsense excuses basically. It's left out because they can just do the remasters and make more money (since a majority of PlayStation games prior to PS4 arent sold new anymore). Plus the PlayStation Now stupid thing, "renting the PS3 library" which isnt even the full games much. I have zero interest in an unlimited streaming package for gaming, even if its cheap. I prefer full games and actually owning them.

It's unfortunate companies don't embrace gamers that play old games much. Sure there is some older stuff that is put out there.. but it should be a lot better.

xenocity
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2016, 10:23 pm

Earthbound wrote:
First off- some Neogaf leak is only a rumor at this point. Please don't say its confirmed until it actually is by SONY! (Which I don't see yet).

In my view- a PS4 that played PS3, PS2 and PS1 games would be much much better than most other stuff they put out. So tired of console makers leaving out backwards compatibility due to their nonsense excuses basically. It's left out because they can just do the remasters and make more money (since a majority of PlayStation games prior to PS4 arent sold new anymore). Plus the PlayStation Now stupid thing, "renting the PS3 library" which isnt even the full games much. I have zero interest in an unlimited streaming package for gaming, even if its cheap. I prefer full games and actually owning them.

It's unfortunate companies don't embrace gamers that play old games much. Sure there is some older stuff that is put out there.. but it should be a lot better.

The posters at NeoGaf work at the developers and have confirmed it's existence.

The PS3 chipset is still quite expensive an add at least $100 to PS4 if they added it.
This is why PS4 dropped BC.

To get PS2 BC, you need the PS2 emotion chip and the PS2 disc drive to read the barcodes on PS2 discs.

Do you really want to pay an extra $150 - $200 for PS2 and PS3 BC?

Earthbound
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2016, 10:27 pm

Yep paying that price (if its true) is more than worth it. Think of all the gamers that could just use the PS4 rather than have many consoles plugged in at once. But its not profitable for Sony because they would rather focus on the newest thing and only the current games, not the classics that people still play. Remasters are their way of throwing bones at gamers that don't just play the newest things. It's sad really.

xenocity
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2016, 10:31 pm

Earthbound wrote:
Yep paying that price (if its true) is more than worth it. Think of all the gamers that could just use the PS4 rather than have many consoles plugged in at once. But its not profitable for Sony because they would rather focus on the newest thing and only the current games, not the classics that people still play. Remasters are their way of throwing bones at gamers that don't just play the newest things. It's sad really.

That's not true either.

Sony has openly stated only a very small minority of users, used BC on PS2 and original PS3s.
That and the huge part costs for PS2 and PS3 BC is why PS4 has no BC.

Microsoft has openly admitted that only a minority of users use Xbox One's BC on a regular basis.

Nintendo has openly admitted only a minority used Wii U and Wii's BC according to their data.
But to be fair it is quite cheap for Nintendo to do BC currently due to their systems using the same chip architect since Gamecube.

No one cares about BC in term of gaming.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2016, 12:13 am

xenocity wrote:
Earthbound wrote:

That's not true either.

Sony has openly stated only a very small minority of users, used BC on PS2 and original PS3s.
That and the huge part costs for PS2 and PS3 BC is why PS4 has no BC.

Microsoft has openly admitted that only a minority of users use Xbox One's BC on a regular basis.

Nintendo has openly admitted only a minority used Wii U and Wii's BC according to their data.
But to be fair it is quite cheap for Nintendo to do BC currently due to their systems using the same chip architect since Gamecube.

No one cares about BC in term of gaming.

Yeah, I'll agree with this one. Backwards compatibility was a nice thing as a small added bonus... but too many gamers in recent years ONLY want the newest and most flashy damn things, so they sure werent going to go back to OLD games... if they even had any. There's plenty of players that simply just dont have older games, if maybe the PS4 (or whatever) is actually their first console, or something like that. So they're not going to pay the extra expense to get a version of a console that just adds in backwards compatibility. Particularly when the older consoles start dropping in price (like the PS2 and PS1, those are super cheap now).

Add on the fact that those older games arent really produced anymore and must always be bought used (which is it's own set of annoying problems), and well... there you go.

Sure it's TECHNICALLY possible, but I dont believe at all that it would be even remotely profitable.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2016, 1:47 am

i hardly think many people even have 4k televisions.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2016, 1:52 am

Kiprobalhato wrote:
i hardly think many people even have 4k televisions.

Maybe not, but more likely will as time goes on, and besides... it sure looks shiny on the box. Bah.

I'll be waiting to see just how many people I know fall for this one.

noumenon
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 Mar 2016, 2:00 am

Is this going to have 5ghz wifi like most modern electronics? I was really surprised that they didn't have it on the original PS4. I don't play on consoles anymore, but I live in an aprtment and when I did own a PS4 it was horrible unless I was on a wired connection because of the dozens of other wifi signals in my apartment building, the XB1 did not have this issue because they actually had it.

FullMetalAspie
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

10 Apr 2016, 6:56 pm

yea I'm not interested in it. Ill keep my original ps4 or should I call it the PS poor now lol.
Hopefully they don't make a bunch of games that are ps4k exclusive but I don't think they will. I think I heard somewhere(no idea how true it is) that sony will still sell the original ps4 in stores alongside ps4k. So hopefully it is just a premium model option for people that want it. I'm sure the ps4k will have its advantages but I just feel like its just a way to keep the price of the ps4 high through out the life of the console.

Almajo88
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Apr 2016, 6:14 am

This is interesting, has a console ever been revised with different processing hardware for running the same games with different capabilities? I can't really think of any examples, but I might be missing something.

I'm psyched for this for two reasons. The first is that it might push down the price of the basic PS4 model. But besides that, 4K is a huge jump in graphical fidelity, even downsampled 4K on a non-4K screen looks a lot better than 1080p in terms of IQ and especially aliasing reduction; the price doesn't actually seem too bad for something that runs at four times the resolution.

Certainly I won't be buying one but it's a good idea and there's definitely a market for it imo

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2016, 7:11 am

The PS4 revision will not be able to play games at 4K. Most likely they will be able to consistently hit 1080p at 60fps. The 4K resolution output will be to push 4K capable Bluray and streaming video, and possibly down the line exclusive PSVR titles.

Almajo88
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Apr 2016, 8:29 am

Enigmatic_Oddity wrote:
The PS4 revision will not be able to play games at 4K. Most likely they will be able to consistently hit 1080p at 60fps. The 4K resolution output will be to push 4K capable Bluray and streaming video, and possibly down the line exclusive PSVR titles.

Uhuh, yeah, having read through the NeoGAF post I'd like to revise my opinion: ugh

I'm curious, what is stopping the PS4 from doing 4K video already? HDMI 1.4 and up support 4K@30 at the least which is enough for 4K Blurays. The hardware is up to it. It seems unlikely that many games will be supporting 4K at that spec without serious downgrades compared to the current PS4 doing 1080p. Perhaps enhanced 1080p versions that aren't worth the extra money especially for the core market of people who already own a PS4.

Why not release a new PS4 slim model instead to save on costs? That would encourage more uptake without diverging the hardware and annoying current owners. It's what they normally do after a couple years or so of production.

xenocity
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2016, 9:42 am

Almajo88 wrote:
Enigmatic_Oddity wrote:

Uhuh, yeah, having read through the NeoGAF post I'd like to revise my opinion: ugh

I'm curious, what is stopping the PS4 from doing 4K video already? HDMI 1.4 and up support 4K@30 at the least which is enough for 4K Blurays. The hardware is up to it. It seems unlikely that many games will be supporting 4K at that spec without serious downgrades compared to the current PS4 doing 1080p. Perhaps enhanced 1080p versions that aren't worth the extra money especially for the core market of people who already own a PS4.

Why not release a new PS4 slim model instead to save on costs? That would encourage more uptake without diverging the hardware and annoying current owners. It's what they normally do after a couple years or so of production.

PS4 currently lacks a 4K Blu-ray player and other necessary hardware components to run full 4K.

Sony has more money to gain by pushing PS4K to market than a PS4 Slim that doesn't play 4K video.
Sony's own movie studios are invested in 4K movies and TV shows.

PS4K added hardware will have extra horse power for PSVR and those developers who been unhappy with PS4's current specs.

4K is a huge money maker for Sony, since they are heavily invested in it.

xenocity
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2016, 8:42 pm

Giant Bomb leaked the specs.
Original PS4

CPU: 8 Jaguar Cores at 1.6 GHz
GPU: AMD GCN, 18 CUs at 800 MHz
Memory: 8 GB GDDR5, 176 GB/s

NEO
CPU: 8 Jaguar Cores at 2.1 GHz
GPU: Improved AMD GCN, 36 CUs at 911 MHz