Desperate cities pay criminals not to kill

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2016, 3:13 am

To lower the homicide rate, Richmond, CA pays criminals between $1 and $1000 per month -- depending on their participation in the program -- not to kill other people.

"five years into Richmond’s multimillion-dollar experiment, 84 of 88 young men who have participated in the program remain alive, and 4 in 5 have not been suspected of another gun crime or suffered a bullet wound".

Because of this success, other cities, such as DC, are starting similar programs of paying criminals.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/dc ... ?tid=sm_tw

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2016, 2:40 am

does that qualify as a perverse kind of incentive?

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2016, 10:06 am

I prefer this as an incentive.

heavenlyabyss
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2016, 12:35 pm

Whatever works is what I say but....

My only concern is that a very desperate person might commit a crime so they can be accepted into the program for monetary rewards. There could be some long-term negative effects.

What this looks like to me is coercive mentoring and bribery (the money is not the main reason the program works to my mind). I understand the power of the message behind by an ex-convict trying to help others. What I question is the integrity of it and the long-term value of it.

I think it's a step in the right direction but the principles need to be applied very carefully or there could be some disastrous results. It's not about just giving money to people for not committing crimes. It's much more than that.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2016, 1:13 pm

I have been not murdering folks for years.

In fact you might call me a "serial non killer".

So where do I sign up for all of the back money I've earned for all of this non killing? :D

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2016, 2:40 pm

I wonder what impact a UBI would have on the crime rate?

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2016, 2:41 pm

Raptor, how was John Candy ever convinced to pose for that image?

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

slenkar
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2016, 2:46 pm

The title is misleading

They are getting kids who have suffered violence (and will probably get revenge) and paying them to attend a program , and the max payout is much less than a minimum wage job

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2016, 2:47 pm

So crime does literally pay, huh?

enz
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2016, 2:59 am

Tequila wrote:

Hahahaha

Film2240
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Apr 2016, 5:27 pm

LoveNotHate wrote:
To lower the homicide rate, Richmond, CA pays criminals between $1 and $1000 per month -- depending on their participation in the program -- not to kill other people.

"five years into Richmond’s multimillion-dollar experiment, 84 of 88 young men who have participated in the program remain alive, and 4 in 5 have not been suspected of another gun crime or suffered a bullet wound".

Because of this success, other cities, such as DC, are starting similar programs of paying criminals.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/dc ... ?tid=sm_tw

I'm all for things that reduce the crime rate as we all want to be safe but I'm not sure how paying murderers not to kill people will work.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2016, 6:38 pm

I suppose it is still cheaper than paying for the social services like in other countries that would result in far fewer criminals being created in the first place.

AntDog
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2016, 7:58 pm

Tequila wrote:

Everyone there should rob a store so they can get free checks!! !

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2016, 8:28 am

auntblabby wrote:
I suppose it is still cheaper than paying for the social services like in other countries that would result in far fewer criminals being created in the first place.

Last I read, it cost like 50k/per year per prisoner in California.

In 2009 ... it cost 47k per year per prisoner in CA ....
http://www.lao.ca.gov/PolicyAreas/CJ/6_cj_inmatecost

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2016, 11:10 am

Is this for real

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2016, 1:20 pm

LoveNotHate wrote:

Sounds like a good program. I'm for the cheapest way to reduce crime. I don't care about breaking the mold on how we treat repeat offenders, what we do now obviously isn't working.