We aren't real. The world isn't real.

Page 1 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Starfoxx
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2016, 1:14 pm

I'm pretty sure nothing is real even though it seems to be. It's all an illusion.

VisInsita
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 Mar 2016, 1:18 pm

Illusion for whom, if all is illusion?

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2016, 1:20 pm

Well...the flatulence I'm experiencing from the frozen bean and cheese I had for lunch seems pretty real to me -- and quite unpleasant!

Oscar Meyer Lansky

Marybird
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2016, 1:29 pm

I'm pretty sure it's all real.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2016, 1:54 pm

Often I think the world is too good to be real. It's as though we're all here because of a coincidence that happened in space billions of years ago. I mean, where did all these atoms and elements come from in the first place?

Often I wonder if the universe (including the sun) doesn't exist, and that I'm just a tiny brain made up of cells and atoms in space, just forever floating around space dreaming of my life and the universe I live in, and everybody else are just figments of my imagination (in the dream), which means I could live forever. That is why I have such a unique personality.

Scary.

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2016, 2:11 pm

Solipsism (Listeni/ˈsɒlᵻpsɪzəm/; from Latin solus, meaning "alone", and ipse, meaning "self")[1] is the philosophical idea that only one's own mind is sure to exist. As an epistemological position, solipsism holds that knowledge of anything outside one's own mind is unsure; the external world and other minds cannot be known and might not exist outside of the mind. As a metaphysical position, solipsism goes further to the conclusion that the world and other minds do not exist.

mikeman7918
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2016, 2:13 pm

I had a lot of thoughts like that after experimenting with lucid dreaming because I figured out that something not real can look and feel just as real as "reality". It is true that the world as we experience is a construct of our subconscious to help us make sense of sensory information, so in that sense I can definitely say that reality as we know it is an illusion and it's not nesesarily accurate as optical illusions and hallucinations demonstrate. Holographic universe theory and simulated multiverse theory are very possible, the only thing I can verify the existence of is my own mind. I think, therefore I am.

Diagnosed with Asperger's, ADD, and Generalized Anxiety Disorder in 2004.
In denial that it was a problem until early 2016.

Deviant Art

Starfoxx
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2016, 2:59 pm

Everything in the entire world and outside of the world is energy, at its smallest form. It's just put together to create us and to create physical objects etc.

Unfortunate_Aspie_
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2016, 6:39 pm

AspE wrote:
Solipsism (Listeni/ˈsɒlᵻpsɪzəm/; from Latin solus, meaning "alone", and ipse, meaning "self")[1] is the philosophical idea that only one's own mind is sure to exist. As an epistemological position, solipsism holds that knowledge of anything outside one's own mind is unsure; the external world and other minds cannot be known and might not exist outside of the mind. As a metaphysical position, solipsism goes further to the conclusion that the world and other minds do not exist.

This is amazing; I didn't know that this was a philosophical concept. I learned something new today!
I get this feeling when I depersonalize form reality. It's really hard. I also get this feeling when doing (mild) drugs of any kind. Even sometimes when I have too much coffee. I feel like all I can take in is myself and all that is real is my mind and that's it. Like everything else feels like a movie, and I'm the only real thing in it. It's a very creepy feeling.
However, uncertainty about the reality of the world- I can get that when I'm not high or dissociating and that's just like- I wonder if I left the stove on and feeling uncertain, but when I dissociate IT REALLY DOES FEEL like nothing is real or that I can not be certain about the reality of life or existence.

http://www.webmd.com/mental-health/depe ... tal-health
and then more so of this one:
http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-cond ... n-20033401

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2016, 6:43 pm

I'm real. I pulled a rib cage muscle the other day. The pain is real. I wish it were an illusion.

mikeman7918
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2016, 7:50 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I'm real. I pulled a rib cage muscle the other day. The pain is real. I wish it were an illusion.

I got shot in a dream once and that hurt and felt real despite it being an illusion. That pain you are feeling is just sensory information coming from pain receptors that your brain is wired to "dislike" and try to avoid. Just neural impulses entering your brain.

Diagnosed with Asperger's, ADD, and Generalized Anxiety Disorder in 2004.
In denial that it was a problem until early 2016.

Deviant Art

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2016, 8:12 pm

Unfortunate_Aspie_ wrote:
This is amazing; I didn't know that this was a philosophical concept. I learned something new today!
I get this feeling when I depersonalize form reality. It's really hard. I also get this feeling when doing (mild) drugs of any kind. Even sometimes when I have too much coffee. I feel like all I can take in is myself and all that is real is my mind and that's it. Like everything else feels like a movie, and I'm the only real thing in it. It's a very creepy feeling.
However, uncertainty about the reality of the world- I can get that when I'm not high or dissociating and that's just like- I wonder if I left the stove on and feeling uncertain, but when I dissociate IT REALLY DOES FEEL like nothing is real or that I can not be certain about the reality of life or existence.

I have felt that way too sometimes. It's the best. What isn't real is the mind, your idea of your mind, your self. Your actual mind must create a fake mind to comprehend and control itself. It's better to give up control and comprehension, and this is what Zen masters talk about. That's the way to freedom. And strikingly, it actually works better that way. Except for certain intellectual efforts. So our sense of self is just a utilitarian conceptual construction.

muffinhead
Toucan
Toucan

31 Mar 2016, 10:52 pm

I guess we're real now, but after death, I don't know if anything is real.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2016, 2:04 am

that which we experience is real enough for us who experience it.

S is for savage
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Apr 2016, 2:20 am

We don't know enough about reality to say whether we're real or not

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2016, 2:33 am

there is a possibility that we are a real holographic projection from a higher dimensional reality.