Do you have an imaginary world?
Yes 87%  87%  [ 46 ]
No 13%  13%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 53

mikeman7918
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2016, 3:38 pm

What I mean is a persistent world with a story and characters that exists in your mind.

I have one, and I have notebooks full of drawings from that world. In it I run a prestigious company called MegaWattz which creates a lot of new technologies and uses them in it's products. It works with things like implants, virtual reality, space travel, weapons, aircraft, space tourism, artificial intelligence, genetic engineering, and many more cool things.

I haven't visited the world in a while, until recently when I started doing some roll playing with a friend. I am the MegaWattz version of me and he is the version of him from his world. It's very fun. I have explored the world more (since it exists in my mind) and the nostalgia is pretty awesome.

I read that having imaginary worlds is a common thing among autistic people, so do any of you have imaginary worlds and if so what are they like?

Diagnosed with Asperger's, ADD, and Generalized Anxiety Disorder in 2004.
In denial that it was a problem until early 2016.

Deviant Art

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2016, 3:56 pm

I have a few imaginary worlds:
- a school for people with disabilities
- a forum for people with disabilities/other abnormalities
- a world where the cells in our bodies have their own society

I don't define every detail for my worlds, I am always coming up with new characters and ideas.

Uncle
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2016, 4:25 pm

Yes , A one not too dissimilar to the one we live in, just several billion less a***holes! :D Sorry, was a joke... sort of!

Wave Tossed
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

31 Mar 2016, 4:52 pm

Whoever said that autistic people have no imagination didn't truly know what they are talking about.

Edenthiel
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2016, 4:58 pm

Mine only exists in dreams. It's a rambling city that I've been apparently adding onto for decades in my sleep. I'll often pass through older sections in the beginning of a dream. At times I've sketched them & during the day I'll revisit the areas I dreamed about.

Last edited by Edenthiel on 31 Mar 2016, 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mikeman7918
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2016, 7:20 pm

I have a few other persistant worlds. I have quite a few that are different possible futures I may have, my favorite one involving me being the first man on Mars. That's actually how the MegaWattz world formed in the first place, and that is to date the world I developed the most. I have another one that's an alternate history where I already mastered lucid dreaming and I have a persistant dream world that contains this city, every time I think about lucid dreaming the amount of detail in this world increases.

One "imaginary" world I have is a 3D model of the world as I know it. It's useful for things like navigation because any time I can imagine a bird's eye view of every road I know and every important destination. My subconscious takes over motor control when I do this, I can then plot my route and regain control over my body. The map has everything from the Andromeda galaxy to the junk on my desk. It's also used as a template to create new worlds.

Deviant Art

CaptLasik
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2016, 8:20 pm

I treat this world like a videogame I'm plugged into. Reality is outside.

- F. Scott Fitzgerald

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2016, 12:47 am

I used to.

Kingtrey
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

06 Apr 2016, 1:06 am

Yes, they are in two categories. One is less a world than a continuous story in my daydreams that has been evolving for as long as I can remember.

The other is different. In elementary school I learned how to enter a kind of meditative state and the world was somewhere between a daydream and an actual dream. It's a multiverse composed of our world, world's from video games, books, and others. This one seems to have a mind of its own and the characters often act unpredictably. A lot of the time they act surprised to see me. Especially if it's a place I've never gone. In the one where I visited most often as a child I was king of the kingdom I went to and there was a lot of political intrigue. When I was a kid I really thought I was leaving my body and for the life of me I couldn't figure out why the other kids couldn't do it. That got me bullied a lot in middle school. I don't do that as much as I used to but i still do every once in a while, with unpredictable results. After writing this I might do it again tonight.

Frankie_J
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Apr 2016, 10:44 am

Not sure how to describe mine, but yes. I have some kind of fictionalised altar ego - it's me as me, but I'm living a different life. E.g. me but in a TV show, or me but as a musician. Even if I don't in reality aspire to be a TV character or musician. But this has been something I've imagined for years and years.

I feel listening to music really fuels that imagination too. When I go out I always listen to music because it's motivation to get out and about and I associate motion/movement with music: it activates my imagination and usually when I'm listening to music and/or out walking I'm completely in my own world.

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2016, 7:54 pm

It's a world based on pokemon. There's me My Best friend squirtle which I mention time to time on this forum. Catwig (My Sister) and Snorlax (My Brother). My Parents, My Father Blastiose and Step-Mother Jigglypuff. My Mother, who's Zoroak, a Wife named Piplip, a God The Creator Auteus (Selfeus), Mew the Ancestor, the Legendaries, playing various Aspects, A Beaver that is Oshawot who is my Allistic Rival who trys to steal my friends, kind of like Gary, from Red. Pretty Complicated, Also there is technicly both not real but my Pokemon Rivals Pieplup, and Joshawott. There more like a Replaceent for the real world, but also Day dream into the world to. Very complicated. When I was Little I dreamt I was in Nemo.

ArtisticSockCollector87
Butterfly
Butterfly

06 Apr 2016, 8:26 pm

I have one that I'm working on right now where there's a sort of god who has a bookshelf and every book is a different world based around a different material. For example, the 2 books/worlds I've designed so far are called Cord and Rust. The god separated all the materials as a way to control the people/characters power. Each world has a different culture and separate set of characters. Still a work in progress though. Fun thing to work on in class :P

Diagnosis- never been evaluated
Interests- psychology (currently ASDs specifically), radiation, politics, SPACE STUFF

cthulhuhead
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Apr 2016, 9:49 pm

The Imaginary world I often escape to is nearly a carbon copy of the world of Lovecraft's Cthulhu Mythos, with a little bit of Warhammer-y stuff.

In this imaginary escapist world, I imagine myself as a sorcerer dedicated to T'zeentch, chaos god of forbidden knowledge and dark magic, and as said sorcerer I go around a pseudo-victorian era world where I fight against the influence of that world's gods, the Elder Gods.

It is fun to imagine a world like this, especially being free to imagine myself as a social, capable, and supernatural human being.

The thing that makes it truly awesome is the fact that I don't have to deal with the scrutiny of people I know, as I would if I created a story like this in a book, a video game, or a game of D&D.

Plus, it is always fun to think about funny ways to use magic for humorous results.

I love imagining that stuff. Call me weird.

"NO."
-Weiss Schnee, Summing up her character.

"Instead of sweetheart, you can call me SIR."
-Yang Xaio Long, being a total BA.

-Discreetly hides book entitled "Ninjas of Love"...
Blake Belladona doesn't talk about that scene.

"Seeing new weapons is like meeting new people...only better..."
-Ruby Rose. Enough said.

mikeman7918
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2016, 11:52 pm

Today I drew a picture of my assistant robot from my imaginary world. I made this image for the roll playing thing I am doing with my friend, but I figured I would post it here because it took me a few hours (I got a bit carried away) and it's pretty awesome. I know that the name makes it seem like it helps me with social stuff, but that's not it's purpose. It's actually a generic assistant and it has the ability to socially interact. I do a lot of tinkering in that world and this bot keeps me company, hands me things, gives me advice, and uses the many tools that it's equipped with to help me out. It's AI is not perfect but it is better at social interaction them I am. :lol:

So without further ado, here is my image of Sam:

By the way, he can fly. I didn't make it very obvious in the drawing.

I could post some more images of things from the MegaWattz universe if anyone is interested, I have notebooks full of drawings I made at school in my desk.

Edit: It's about 0.7 meters wide by the way.

Deviant Art

Wave Tossed

07 Apr 2016, 12:28 am

I have several imaginary worlds. I don't do videogames or role playing. What I do is write about my imaginary characters in my imaginary worlds. I've been published more than once in fantasy/SF anthologies. I recently completed a novel in my imaginary vision of feudal Japan.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2016, 12:34 am

I live in a world that's influenced by art, music and classic television. It's also influenced by moods and colours.