Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

pcuser
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2016, 5:18 pm

Recently, a poster said that he has autism and hates autistics. He or she claims we utilize safety nets too much. I believe we should, at the end of the day, have each others backs regarding autism. When we look at the stats, a very large proportion of people with autism don't find stable employment. Personally, I loved the work I did and did it very well. I didn't know I had autism then and didn't understand why I couldn't remain employed. If I could, I would still be doing that job. Unfortunately, even if we are good at our jobs, we can have problems competing with non autistics in the marketplace for obvious reasons. Any thoughts?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2016, 5:35 pm

I've been working at my job 35 years. I do my job well. I think it's partially because I'm on the Spectrum.

I work data entry.

I think autistic people should accept each other. But I don't believe autistic people should be given a pass for behaving in a nasty manner. Sometimes, when somebody gets nasty with someone, that someone plays the "autism card."

pcuser
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2016, 5:56 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I've been working at my job 35 years. I do my job well. I think it's partially because I'm on the Spectrum.

I work data entry.

I think autistic people should accept each other. But I don't believe autistic people should be given a pass for behaving in a nasty manner. Sometimes, when somebody gets nasty with someone, that someone plays the "autism card."

Few get a pass when they act in a 'nasty' manner in the job market. I was probably good at my job because of being on the spectrum. But, unless you do something few others can do, autism can get in the way of being employed. I'm not arguing that we should simply give up and ask for handouts. However, if we try hard and fail because of symptoms that are hard at best to control, we shouldn't be further punished...

andrethemoogle
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2016, 6:05 pm

I'm all for defending others on the spectrum unless they make an insane statement. If they are high enough on the spectrum to know what they are saying, then they deserve to be rebutted. If they do not understand the implications due to being lower on the spectrum, then I will defend them and tell them that it's not cool to say something like that.

pcuser
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2016, 6:09 pm

I'm not suggesting we defend crazy. I'm saying we should defend our rights to a decent life, regardless of our autism's limitations. Also, I'm considered high functioning and it is still hard to fit in with 'normal' people. I'm working on it, but it can still happen...

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2016, 6:11 pm

I don't believe we should be "punished," either.

I just wish we had more programs which address the transition from adolescence to adulthood within an autistic context.

And within Vocational Rehab, we have to try to give autistic people "real" jobs, rather than merely stockboy-retail-fast food type jobs.

pcuser
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2016, 6:26 pm

Well said...

Unfortunate_Aspie_
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2016, 7:02 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I don't believe we should be "punished," either.

I just wish we had more programs which address the transition from adolescence to adulthood within an autistic context.

And within Vocational Rehab, we have to try to give autistic people "real" jobs, rather than merely stockboy-retail-fast food type jobs.

I wish I had had this when I was first out there : (
I DID end up in fast food- which was a horrific horrific onslaught of my senses, low wage, and it was all around pretty terrible- as most of those sorts of jobs tend to be.

I think autistic people should be nice to each other!! ! as long as the other person is nice.
Tit for Tat.
People are mean enough as if, no need to contribute to that hatred and sadness already out in the world. :(