A question for those who know a lot of people...

Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

cthulhuhead
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Apr 2016, 5:48 pm

Why is listening to metal so off-putting to almost every female?

I don't really listen to the darkest stuff either, so it confuses me how listening to my favorite genre of music with a mobile device causes so many of them to think negatively of me. I just don't get it. I am told by my family members that I am a kind person, but listening to my music causes them to think differently of me then if I was listening to almost anything else.

There are people who blare rap from their backpack speakers, but if I listen to metal at a moderately low volume it still causes them to think I am some kind of freak.

I want to be in a relationship with a female, but I don't want to give up good music in order to be in a relationship, because that would be denying my brain of the only other thing besides anime that provides an outlet against deppression, so I want to know why this is so looked down upon.

Thanks for responding in advance. Sorry if this is a stupid question.

"NO."
-Weiss Schnee, Summing up her character.

"Instead of sweetheart, you can call me SIR."
-Yang Xaio Long, being a total BA.

-Discreetly hides book entitled "Ninjas of Love"...
Blake Belladona doesn't talk about that scene.

"Seeing new weapons is like meeting new people...only better..."
-Ruby Rose. Enough said.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2016, 6:35 pm

I don't like loud music, period.

I even listen to things like metal at a low volume.

Whispers
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Apr 2016, 6:38 pm

Female metal-head speaking: DON'T hide the music!! ! I would never go out with someone that wouldn't at least understand my passion for the music, and that it's just a way of expressing myself, and that doesn't make me any weird or aggressive or whatever (and I do hear extreme genres). Some people associate metal with being aggressive, satanism, and more BS. Maybe that's why. But I think that whoever can judge someone so fast, might not deserve my attention either.

From childhood’s hour I have not been as others were—I have not seen as others saw—I could not bring my passions from a common spring— From the same source I have not taken my sorrow—I could not awaken my heart to joy at the same tone—
And all I lov’d—I lov’d alone.
E. A. Poe

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2016, 6:40 pm

maybe a hangover of the early metal drug/explicit/headbanger/devil worshiping/sexist stereotype?

i like metal but mostly keep it to myself because it's not to everyone's taste.
there are plenty of females out there who like metal.

Drawyer
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2016, 6:48 pm

I like heavy perfect bad ass guitar and drum works. I wish to delete many of disturbing shouting human voices from many hardcore metal musics. But music is only tiny part of me. I'm more into electronic and computer engineering. (I am so used to playing alone..that's why I made some play-alone threads not because I'm into music or languages or sorts.)

Last edited by Drawyer on 03 Apr 2016, 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheSpectrum
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2016, 7:00 pm

Outside of rock and metal clubs (plus gigs/concerts), heavy metal is seen as a puerile phase in one's youth; A phase where awkward and misunderstood people can headbang away their angst - all the while hating on everybody they claim does not understand them and judges them - to their content.

Psychologically speaking, because of that.... other associations are drawn in with it. From the clothing, to demeanour, lack of willingness to be accountable for anything...and so forth. Unfortunately all these negative associations are often drawn up. Liking and listening to other forms of music such as rap or house also have stereotypes and tropes associated with them.

It's just the way of the world. Ignore it and find someone who shares your passion for metal. You're no good to anyone if you sacrifice half the person you are just in order to be made whole.

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2016, 7:06 pm

^ This

Whispers
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Apr 2016, 7:17 pm

TheSpectrum wrote:
heavy metal is seen as a puerile phase in one's youth;

Oooooh that's my favourite stereotype. Yes.
But when one feels authentic passion for a certain music that speaks directly to one's soul, I'm afraid age can't cure it :). And I could give many evidences to prove it!

But anyhow, it's not about which music you like, it's about narrow-minded people and about being yourself always.

From childhood’s hour I have not been as others were—I have not seen as others saw—I could not bring my passions from a common spring— From the same source I have not taken my sorrow—I could not awaken my heart to joy at the same tone—
And all I lov’d—I lov’d alone.
E. A. Poe

QuillAlba
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2016, 7:19 pm

Metal rocks.

It's not a phase, it's the moment you appreciate music.

TheSpectrum
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2016, 7:23 pm

Amen.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2016, 7:46 pm

I like metal. Older metal usually. I do like that one fairly recent (past ten years)German metal band that I can't remember the name of too. I don't like screamo or Viking death metal or any of that stuff that seems to just try too hard though.

Judas Priest, Black Sabbath, Scorpions, Iron Maiden, etc. I'm not talking about 80s hair bands that some people confuse with metal, although I do like them, and I'm not talking about harder rock like ACDC and Guns N Roses although some try to call them metal.

Some try to say Ozzy is metal because Sabbath was early metal, but he isn't.

There are lots of types of metal and not everybody likes all types. I like some types of rap but not all rap. I like some types of rock but not all rock. I like some type of dance music but not all.

I guess before you worry about limiting yourself, you should define what metal is and what type of metal you enjoy the most and that you think girls don't like.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2016, 9:40 pm

cthulhuhead wrote:
It's loud, it's noisy, and much of its lyrics contain nihilistic, depressive, and/or violent imagery.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

QuillAlba
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2016, 9:42 pm

Fnord wrote:
cthulhuhead wrote:
It's loud, it's noisy, and much of its lyrics contain nihilistic, depressive, and/or violent imagery.

Someone should really ban you for being negative.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2016, 10:22 pm

QuillAlba wrote:
Fnord wrote:
cthulhuhead wrote:

Wait, we did this already. Didn't we? Did time go backwards again? I knew I shouldn't have eaten at that salad bar again. They said they would use a different mushroom.supplier but I bet they didn't. Now all the tables will get all melty again. Crap. And time isessed up. ;-)

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2016, 10:38 pm

QuillAlba wrote:
Fnord wrote:
cthulhuhead wrote:

:lmao:

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2016, 10:41 pm

Raleigh wrote:
QuillAlba wrote:
Fnord wrote:
cthulhuhead wrote:

:lmao:

+10000 :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

I just lost my s**t