Discussion split from 'jesus=aspie' thread

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

tallgirl
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 May 2005, 8:01 pm

Peter Mackenzie:

Just a question. I noticed that in one of the pictures, one of the guys was flippin' the bird (holding up the middle finger) and I though that in Western Europe, and the UK, you guys' used the sheep shag, two-finger salute...what's the deal? I am just really curious, I am kind of an amateur anthropologist.

Tallgirl.

TAFKASH
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2005, 8:14 pm

tallgirl wrote:
Peter Mackenzie:

Just a question. I noticed that in one of the pictures, one of the guys was flippin' the bird (holding up the middle finger) and I though that in Western Europe, and the UK, you guys' used the sheep shag, two-finger salute...what's the deal? I am just really curious, I am kind of an amateur anthropologist.

Tallgirl.

Its an unfortunate Americanism that has infected our culture, and now sits alongside the trusty old Hundred Years War originated bi-digitted salute in popular useage..... "sheep shag" indeed..... :roll: Such an ignoble soubriquet for such a fine means of expression.... :wink:

Malcolm_Scipo
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2005, 1:20 am

Actually, with the bi-digitted salute it was originally also used to show you had had sex with the other person's wife.

I WAS NOT WHAT I HAD ALWAYS TRIED TO EMULATE.
INSTEAD A SHADOW OF FORMER GLORY.
AND THEN I CRIED.

PeterMacKenzie
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2005, 4:47 am

Here's a bit I found on the two-fingered salute (known as 'the vikkies' where I grew up if anyone cares).

http://www.fletchers.org.uk/The%20Longbow%20at%20War.htm wrote:

(http://www.fletchers.org.uk/The%20Longbow%20at%20War.htm)

The traditional "two-finger salute" dates back to the taunts of English archers against the French during the Hundred Years' War. The act of drawing the longbow was known as "plucking the yew" (or "pluck yew"). Much to the bewilderment of the French, the English having won a major upset at Agincourt, began mocking the French by waving their middle fingers at the defeated French, saying, "See, we can still pluck yew! "PLUCK YEW!"

Over the years some 'folk etymologies' have grown up around this symbolic gesture. Since 'pluck yew' is rather difficult to say (like "pleasant mother pheasant plucker", which is who you had to go to for the feathers used on the arrows for the longbow), the difficult consonant cluster at the beginning has gradually changed to a labiodental fricative 'F', and thus the words often used in conjunction with the one-finger-salute are mistakenly thought to have something to do with an intimate encounter. It is also because of the pheasant feathers on the arrows that the symbolic gesture is known as "giving the bird".

American cultural imperialism has impacted us a fair bit, but the people in the photos (neds and sengas), seem especially into it.

Malcolm_Scipo
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2005, 2:14 pm

The word f-*-c-k is actually older than the Hundred Years War. I think Genghis Khan used it.

AND THEN I CRIED.

TAFKASH
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2005, 2:43 pm

Popular myth: modern archaeology proves that the longbow actually had almost no impact on the outcome of the Battle Of Agincourt - the French Men-at-Arms all wore newly-invented steel armour at the battle which was virtually impervious to the English longbow bodkins which were only made of soft iron. Also, longbows were only fired in the early stages of the battle, the English archers doing most of their fighting almost exclusively hand-to-hand. What actually did the French in (apart from the obvious fact that, well, y'know, they were French :wink:) was the fact that they had many times more men than they needed and than the size of the battlefield could hold - this added to the weight of their armour (compared to the comparatively armourless English), their complete lack of coordination or effective leadership and the incredibly muddy conditions meant that many of them were simply crushed to death in the melee..... The actual reason that Henry V used so many archers in his campaign wasn't because of their effectiveness, but because of their cost (an archer cost half as much to hire as a Man-at-Arm did). It isn't coincidental that the archer died out as a serious weapon on the battlefield very soon after.

Another interesting fact about the battle that you never see in the movies for some reason, is the fact that most of the English were suffering from dysentery at the battle, and many of them had to fight naked from the waist down for reasons of... errrr.... shall we say.... convenience.....

Last edited by TAFKASH on 21 May 2005, 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Malcolm_Scipo
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2005, 1:38 am

Do not insult the relevance of archery.

AND THEN I CRIED.

TheWhale
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 May 2005, 6:21 pm

Dudes, kindly take this BS somewhere else. The recent posts have absolutely nothing to do with the thread of this item.

Jerry Newport

Sean
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2005, 6:47 pm

PeterMacKenzie wrote:
American cultural imperialism has impacted us a fair bit, but the people in the photos (neds and sengas), seem especially into it.
...Like the British have room to accuse anybody of cultural imperialism. :roll:

PeterMacKenzie
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2005, 6:55 pm

If the pot calls the kettle black, it in no way implies that the pot is not also black. Perhaps the pot just likes to remind the kettle of how both are black, since the kettle seems to forget on occasion.

TAFKASH
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2005, 6:57 pm

TheWhale wrote:
Dudes, kindly take this BS somewhere else. The recent posts have absolutely nothing to do with the thread of this item.

Yes, let's continue on with having a serious discussion about whether or not a 2000 year old, unknown, poorly documented and semi-mythical person was AS or not, people.

Sean wrote:
...Like the British have room to accuse anybody of cultural imperialism.

Ahhh, but we did it with style, old boy - that's the difference you see.... :wink: