Special interest length of interest...getting shorter

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

CryingTears15
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Apr 2016, 5:11 pm

I'm seventeen, and I was diagnosed officially as a ten-year old girl with Asperger's syndrome.

At the time, I had two obsessive interests, Naruto and Warrior cats, that almost every conversation centered around and took up all of my free thinking time, and time doing other things. For me to be interested in something, I had to relate it to my special interest. These fictions would cycle in my mind by the month as the primary interest.

Now, I have similar interests, but they last a week at most. Religion, educational statistics, BBC Merlin, and Star Wars all spent time occupying my mind first and foremost. I would speak of nothing but them, think of nothing but them, and I could never imagine being interested in anything else. To be interested in an object or song, it had to relate to my special interest. And then? Poof. Nothing.

I'm never going to accomplish anything like this... How can I make these interests longer?

Gematron
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Apr 2016, 5:48 pm

As far as I know you can't. You just have to wait until you get a special interest that takes over you in mind body and soul again. Don't worry this has happened to me before and it wasn't till almost a year ago that I've got a special interest that I've been consumed by. Funny thing is that it also re ignited my old special interests as well. Not as strongly as before but the fire and passion about them is still there. This probably wasn't the answer you were looking for but I hope it helped.

Luke Skywalker
Butterfly
Butterfly

07 Apr 2016, 1:58 am

My special interest lengths vary greatly! I've had ones that lasted a week to ones that have lasted years. I do think that at one point you will "settle down" with a SI, though it may not last as long as you'd like. You may have to find peace in not having one sustained special interest.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 161 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 40 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)