Alcohol and Substance Abuse Counselling Thread

Page 1 of 47 [ 742 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 47  Next

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2007, 2:00 am

After some thought and discussion with other WP members, I have decided to put up this sticky in the Haven. If people think it should be moved to the Adult forum, ask. If it should be about substance abuse in general (something normally discussed in the Adult forum), again, ask, and I will change it after consultation with my fellow Mods. However, for now, this is just a thread for people to talk about their problems with alcohol, and on strategies to cope. I am, unfortunately, not a counsellor myself, nor do I drink alcohol. However, I think that perhaps this thread may be needed to let people get things off their chest, and perhaps work towards some harm-prevention strategies.

Occasionally, I will dispense relevant facts that I have learned through my health studies. Any mythconceptions that you have about alcohol that you might want to know, just ask, and I will come back to you. Anyone asking me about illegalities (ie how to beat a breath detector test) will get directed to a list that the Mythbusters tested, or just a simple 'no comment' or 'I won't help you'.

I would also very much appreciate it if this thread does NOT become a flame-fest. This is meant to be sober (pun unintended) and serious discussion.

On sabbatical...

Last edited by Quatermass on 25 Apr 2007, 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2007, 1:24 am

I don't just want poll results, I also want posts, people.

On sabbatical...

Space
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2007, 1:31 am

I think it's a good idea. I have AS, and have had problems with alcohol and drugs in the past. It's a way to cope with the symptoms of AS. Most people I have met with drinking/drugging problems had other mental health problems they self-medicated.

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2007, 1:35 am

I think it is a great idea, but then I did say so lol. I think I have seen enough mention of peoples' alcohol issues and self medication issues to warrant a place for them to share and maybe advise and support one another in trying to break free of the addictions if they wish to.

calandale
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2007, 2:16 am

Quatermass wrote:

Some of us want to remain uncounciled .

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2007, 2:23 am

calandale wrote:
Quatermass wrote:

Fine. It's just that I wanted a little more participation. But it is your choice.

I will be changing the title of this thread to include substance abuse...

On sabbatical...

MsTriste
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2007, 2:49 am

Great idea, Quatermass!
Perhaps we can wait and see what content develops before deciding where it needs to go.

There seem to be those of us (myself included) who have discovered the only way to currently survive is through some kind of substance. And then there are those of us to whom the very idea of a mind-altering substance is anathema. Just another example of how different we all are.

I like the idea that we are all accepted here, whether we are lushes or teetotalers, happy with the decision we made or in need of help with our decisions.

Count me among...the masses.

calandale
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2007, 2:57 am

Quatermass wrote:
calandale wrote:
Quatermass wrote:

Fine. It's just that I wanted a little more participation. But it is your choice.

Well, you insisted on posts. I figured it was better to
keep my beak shut, but I can't say no to a demand.

MsTriste
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2007, 3:11 am

calandale wrote:
I figured it was better to
keep my beak shut...

Since when have you ever thought it better to keep your beak shut? LOL

calandale
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2007, 3:14 am

aylissa wrote:
calandale wrote:
I figured it was better to
keep my beak shut...

Since when have you ever thought it better to keep your beak shut? LOL

You have no IDEA how big a spammer I could really be!

MsTriste
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2007, 3:27 am

8O
Too bad there's not a statistics forum here any more - you could see where you fit in in terms of posts per day compared with the other 10000 plus members. You're up there.

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2007, 4:57 am

I'm going to be deleting the poll soon, as I seem to have not that many responses......

I will kick off this soon.

On sabbatical...

RedMage
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2007, 4:59 am

Good idea. Even though I do not drink or do drugs.

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2007, 6:31 am

Okay, deleted poll. Now for hard drug facts.....

(BTW, I am getting these from textbooks and scientific papers, not newspapers and Wikipedia, for the most part....)

On sabbatical...

RedMage
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2007, 6:38 am

Quatermass, be sure to make a post about how bad ice is. I've read some sad stuff about teenage girls who died from it, so I think it'd be great to have a bit of awareness here for others.

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2007, 6:53 am

RedMage wrote:
Quatermass, be sure to make a post about how bad ice is. I've read some sad stuff about teenage girls who died from it, so I think it'd be great to have a bit of awareness here for others.

Okay. Ice isn't in the textbooks per se, but I can do that for sure.

Okay....

ICE

Ice is the street name for freebase methamphetamines, sometimes also known as 'crystal meth'. Ice is to amphetamines as was 'crack cocaine' to cocaine. That is, it has been treated chemically so it becomes 'freebase', allowing it to be smoked without it actually burning, and thus delivering a more intense dose of the drug in a shorter period of time.

Because of the larger bioavailability of the drug itself, Ice has become extremely popular. However, it can be quite neurotoxic, and abuse of this or any amphetamine indeed, can lead to violent mood swings and paranoia, amongst other things. Not only that, but because of it's nature as a stimulant, overuse can lead to heart problems, amongst other things.

Inhaling the Ice vapours can lead to damage of the lungs, as well as nasal passages. Finally, because use of stimulants can suppress the appetite, the users risk malnutrition.

After hearing anecdotes through the news, I view Ice as what I like to call a "Berserker" drug, not dissimilar to PCP. These do not suppress pain per se, but activate many simlar pathways to adrenalin, as well as adrenalin release itself, causing pain suppression, and allowing 'superhuman' feats of strength. Ice users are often violent and require multiple emergency personnel to subdue successfully. This, combined with the paranoia and psychological impairment that comes with use of these drugs, can be a dangerous combination.

The Australian government has just launched a campaign against the manufacture, sale and use of Ice, as it is viewed as the most dangerous drug, to date, in Australia at the present time....

On sabbatical...