Page 6 of 7 [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2019, 2:07 pm

I was in gym class running laps, on the other side of the room when a TV was brought in and everyone else was gathering around it. Typical clueless me had no idea what was going on until I got home that day and my mom told me, I'm guessing the teacher explained it before I got over there.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2019, 5:03 pm

I was already 40 years old the year of 9/11.

red_doghubb
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Sep 2019, 5:14 pm

Living in PA at the time having only moved there from NYC the yr before. Watching it all on TV in the basement lunch room. Trying go frantically get hold of my uncle who works downtown (all the lines were overwhelmed). He would later tell me one of the planes was headed straight for his building across from the SI ferry terminal before taking a left and slamming into a tower. He ran to WTC to catch a ferry back to NJ and watched ppl jump out of the towers as the ferry pulled out.

I had a friend working at the statue of liberty; he took photos of the event as it happened, from the island. He was also an EMT who went into the debris and took photos on -site. I have a CD of his photos taken within hours of the destruction. They' re stunning.

I commuted through WTC on the PATH for a few yrs until I moved. I was in WTC exactly 7 days before it was destroyed.

I moved back here in 2004 and the whole of the WTC footprint is different. I have not gone to the museum- I don't need relics to remind me of what happened.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2019, 5:21 pm

I work about a mile away from what was Ground Zero.

I guess I'm lucky I worked the night shift then.

Raymond_Fawkes
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2019, 5:55 pm

Freshman in highschool, in "homeroom" being briefed, when it came on the news. Girl across from me started crying as her father was actually there. It was a very confusing day, knowing what I know now though... I'm immune to the BS propaganda. Trillions of dollars spent, never-ending wars... the officially approved narrative just isn't the truth of what actually happened that day. It was the beginning of the end.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2019, 8:43 pm

A 1st grader. Considering the timezones, likely asleep at home.

9/11 isn't a known thing here, nor as much impact either. But many of those from the west sure screams a lot about it. :|
We got other more serious and long term issues already going on here from where I live...

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2019, 9:14 pm

Boats evacuating people from Manhattan on 9/11/2001.

There Are Four Lights!

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2019, 9:22 pm

This is reported to be the only video of the first plane that struck the twin towers. A firefighter (coincidentally) was out on the street practicing with a camera and instinctively looked up when he heard a plane come over very low.

There Are Four Lights!

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2019, 10:54 pm

At Buckingham Palace.

There Are Four Lights!

collectoritis
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2019, 2:01 am

I remember the VG evening newspaper at the grocery store , huge image of WTC looking like smokestacks

To this day i feel a bit unsettled when i watch Kong '76 or HA 2 and see the WTC.......just an satanic act

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2019, 8:11 am

The present-day WTC complex is quite lovely.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2019, 8:25 am

Well I had just gotten to work when my boss's wife called and asked if he was there yet. I told her I could see him pulling into the parking lot did she want to wait until he got in. She says yeeeessss. So he comes in gets on the phone with her and starts shouting "WHAT?! WHAT?! !
I'm like okay time to make myself scarce. But he says quick turn on the TV! It was a big flat screen (a big deal back then). And that's when I saw smoke pouring out of the twin towers. It was like watching the beginning of Armageddon.

Okay that's actually my dad's story.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

12 Sep 2019, 8:29 am

I just came back from school when my aunt phoned my mother and told her to turn on TV, something was happening in the US.
I was astonished by how simple and evil the plan was.
And I thought: oh, well, future students will have to memorize today's date.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2019, 9:04 am

What 9/11 did for me was to screw up my routine. It created a backlog on my job. It was a pain in the butt, in general.

That's what it did to me on a purely individual, selfish level.

I was sleeping when it happened. I had a couple of relatives over who were watching TV. I heard the TV in my sleep talking about planes hitting the WTC. Then I woke up and saw what was happening.

Moretto
Raven
Raven

Location: 01 Oakes Vetoh Lemala, Zeydin Seetznin, Hanow, Cassonie

12 Sep 2019, 10:43 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I work about a mile away from what was Ground Zero.

I guess I'm lucky I worked the night shift then.

Did you work there at the time?

Darmok wrote:
At Buckingham Palace.

I just ADORE Liz!

As much as I want to see George become King (at least for the sake of seeing another British monarch's coronation, in my lifetime) I hope she never dies.

"You think your pain and your heartbreak are unprecedented in the history of the world, but then you read. It was books that taught me that the things that tormented me most were the very things that connected me with all the people who were alive, who had ever been alive." - Baldwin

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2019, 12:51 pm

I work in the same place as I worked then.