Page 5 of 7 [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

pete413
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Sep 2018, 6:59 pm

I was sleeping when the 1st plane hit, my ex called me and told me to turn the TV on.

I grew up in upstate NY, when I was 12, my sister went to college out on long island, and I had my chance to see NYC, 1st thing I did was visit those towers. I loved tall building as an aspie kid. I wanted to be an architect, my hero was frank lloyd wright. Those towers were the biggest, they meant something to me. I miss them, they were "New York City", gone now :(

I visited ground zero in 2004. The memorial was not built yet. Just a big hole in the ground. It was quite somber to me. Almost like you could feel those 3000+people calling out. quite strange.

In the past 17 years this has all overshadowed the JFK assassination in the 'conspiracy' world. Lots of people ask "why" when something tragic happens. And yes, maybe powerful people conspire to maintain said power, those things we never know for certain, and if you did know, still can't change the past, you can't bring those towers back, you can't bring all those people back.

And you can't restore how we all see the world now as a result. 9/11 changed a lot.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2019, 11:47 pm

There Are Four Lights!

collectoritis
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2019, 12:14 am

I too thought it was a scene from a movie at first

" a lot of funny looks when I said I was not surprised"

I too expected terror in Norway for yrs before July 22 , only thing that surprised me was that it wasnt muslim extremists.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2019, 12:23 am

coincidentally there is an anniversary thing on the local PBS station about 9/11 as i type this.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2019, 12:46 am

Their names were Bernard C. Brown II, Asia S. Cottom, and Rodney Dickens. They were all eleven years old. They were in sixth grade. They were headed for a special field trip to California with their teachers, which was being put on by National Geographic. And they all died aboard Flight 77 when it slammed into the Pentagon on September 11th.

Bernard was remembered as “clever, a quick wit, the kind of boy who kept his teachers on their toes” who loved basketball. Asia was called “kindhearted” and helpful, who loved school and Tweety Bird. Rodney “loved reading, playing computer games, and playing with his siblings” as well as being a huge fan of professional wrestling. All three were good students, which is why they were chosen to take this special field trip. Teachers Sara Clark, Hilda Taylor, and James Debeuneure were going along as chaperones. National Geographic employees Ann Judge and Joe Ferguson were also on board Flight 77, accompanying the students and teachers to California.

https://victorygirlsblog.com/september1 ... flight-77/

There Are Four Lights!

Last edited by Darmok on 11 Sep 2019, 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2019, 1:05 am

I was at work getting my forklift ready to drive when one of my co-workers walked past with his newspaper with the burning twin towers on it. This was at 6am. I followed him to the lunch table and it wasn't long before our whole department crowded around to look at the paper. I thought it was a joke but then it wasn't April Fools Day.

We all had to get to work so we did, feeling flabbergasted at what had happened.

There was no tv there to watch so I had to wait until I went home. Footage of the attacks were on all channels.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2019, 4:49 am

I remember it all being on the news but I don't really remember the details of it or how serious it all really was. I was only 11 and had just started a new school. We had a minute silence at school I think.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2019, 5:23 am

Working on the railway and was in thw staff room inbetween trains. We all thought it was a hoax, especially when we saw the holographic like plane wing dissapear and re-appear. It was like "What is going on?"

I remember the next day. I was at Swansea station with the driver. An elderly lady came down still in her dressing gown and gave us all a mouthful as she thought her daughter had said there was a train crash. We tried to tell her it was a plane and not a train but she wouldn't have it. After she was happy that she had told us off, she went to head back to the nearby block of flats where she lived.

We had armed policemen on the station after that event, and I was surprized to find that I didn't have much trouble from fare dodgers during those times.

flownawy
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

11 Sep 2019, 7:04 am

i give a s**t

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2019, 8:40 am

I was sleeping when it happened. Just like now, I used to work evenings. I had guests over the apartment who were watching the TV. And I heard some of the coverage in my sleep---so I thought I was dreaming.

When I woke up, I saw what was happening, and quickly determined that all of this was real. I felt numb at first----but it certainly sank in later.

I work about a mile from Ground Zero. We weren't allowed to go back to work in our offices for two weeks. We had to go up to the Bronx.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2019, 10:31 am

There Are Four Lights!

Zakatar
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2019, 10:47 am

I was very young in ‘01, but I was in NYC during the last week of August of that year. We couldn’t go up the towers because of the strict dress code, but I have a memory of looking at them in the distance. 2 weeks before they went down.

#palestinianlivesmatter

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2019, 11:46 am

There Are Four Lights!

GammaV
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Sep 2019, 12:01 pm

I was in my third period class in my junior year of high school when the teacher turned on the TV. I couldn't believe that what was happening was actually happening. I was a pretty naive 17-year-old.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2019, 12:20 pm

In memoriam of the 343 brave firefighters of FDNY who lost their lives in the line of duty.

22 more have since died from chemical-related illness, following the tragedy.

You are heroes.

Image Image

http://www.fdnylodd.com/Memorials/343-Firefighters

https://www.firehouse.com/safety-health ... refighters

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2019, 2:07 pm

I was in gym class running laps, on the other side of the room when a TV was brought in and everyone else was gathering around it. Typical clueless me had no idea what was going on until I got home that day and my mom told me, I'm guessing the teacher explained it before I got over there.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"