Anyone attend any autism peer group programs?

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

ShyGigyas
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Apr 2016, 9:59 am

I'm actually going to a meeting today. I really like going there; I've met some of my closest friends there, more friends than I've ever had in my school life even (currently a sophomore in high school BTW). One thing I do find odd is how over half of the people who attend are all adults, miraculously enough I tend to relate to them way more than people within my age group (14-19). It is a bit awkward seeing how I'm 16 years old and I'm hanging around all these guys that are over 18, maximum old enough to be my parent or an older relative. But regardless autistic adults are very different from NT adults, same applies to teenagers. I've been through a whole lot for someone my age and I lost connection with nearly all of my peers, but going to the peer group has really helped me to realize I'm not alone. I've been going there for a year now and I'm still slowly trying to make friends with people there besides my usual group of pals. I just wanna see other people's point of view on those kinds of groups.

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2016, 4:00 pm

I attend a social group for people with autism/other disabilities. It's fun, though I don't really feel like I fit in with the other kids.

Gematron
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Apr 2016, 4:11 pm

I sure would love to but I don't know of any in my area. Sounds like it would be interesting though.

ShyGigyas
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Apr 2016, 6:06 pm

TheAP wrote:
I attend a social group for people with autism/other disabilities. It's fun, though I don't really feel like I fit in with the other kids.

Me neither, one of my friends that I met there has the same problem except much worse; she always tries to cling to me and not allow me to mingle with other people even though I always encourage her to reach out to others. She is starting to talk to others there however, only because one of the coordinators had to make her come out of her shell. I was like that at one point too. :/

aspieinaz
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Apr 2016, 3:11 am

I don't know of such a group in my area, how did you find yours? It's amazing how many people did not get diagnosed until they were much older than you. Glad you don't mind hanging out with older people because I am old enough to be your grandma :D :D (but I never had any kids).