Is there any autistic-friendly colleges out there?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

roygerdodger
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2007, 9:06 pm

I only 3 more years until I go to college, but are there any autistic-friendly colleges out there in the country (or the whole world)?

TruenoBlues
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2007, 9:16 pm

North Central College In Naperville, Illinois. I go to North Central, and they have been more than willing to work with me.

willem
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2007, 9:25 pm

I think college is probably one of the best possible environments within human society that we Aspies/autistics might find ourselves in. Just make sure you don't stay in a dorm, sharing some tiny space with complete strangers. That probably wouldn't work. Otherwise you'll be fine. You should think of a couple of colleges you might want to go to, and then visit with the office of Disability Services at each of those colleges. Specifically, you should check out how much they can do for you in terms of:
- explaining your mental state to your instructors, including specific issues you may have, and what to expect and what not to expect from you
- helping you and your instructors find alternatives for assignments you can't do (e.g. presentations in front of the class)
- getting extra time and a quiet room for tests & exams

BigTimeSynesthete
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

24 Apr 2007, 9:45 pm

I heard that Silicon Valley is a good place for aspies-if you want to take technological classes. there is a high percentage of aspies there, so you wouldn't stand out too much.

GenericUserName
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Apr 2007, 10:03 pm

i almost asked the same question earlier. I'm 25, which is a bit of a late start. I have alot of trouble with classes or topics that i'm not fully interested in. I work in the mechanical engineering field now, but i really think i'd do well with a degree. Not having one keeps me out of larger companies where i could really advance. I think i could make some worthwhile contributions if i could just get a decent education.
Only problem is i have alot of trouble with classes or topics that i'm not fully interested in. I had alot of trouble from 7th grade on up and barely passed high school. The only way i was able to graduate was by going to a vocational tech school.
Before 7th grade i got straight a's and was in gifted programs. right about 6th grade i started to feel that the work they had me doing was worthless and i could barely force myself to do it.

blacktext
Raven
Raven

25 Apr 2007, 6:52 pm

Online education would probably be the best. You can set your own hours, and face-to-face contact is little to none. Also on the plus side you can still make use of on campus resources if you wish.

I didn't go that route.

My best experience in higher education was at a community college. There I found wonderful diversity in the ages and backgrounds of the students. The professors were largely excellent, and the smaller environment was extremely suitable for me.

My experiences at a 4-year university was less than favorable. Too big. Too much red tape. Professors were average - and the environment wasn't intellectual in the least.