Page 4 of 6 [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2016, 4:16 am

nurseangela wrote:
rdos wrote:
nurseangela wrote:
What I mean is that NT's go by eye contact and body gestures almost 95% of the time, but that does not work when reading Aspies - so they have to give that up in an NT/Aspie relationship.

So do NDs. They are even forced to give up their body gestures because NTs dislike them. So you have no point. :mrgreen:

nurseangela wrote:
Can't give up small talk, so if I'm ever in a real life Aspie/NT relationship he better get some sunglasses (so he doesn't have to make eye contact) and some ear plugs and learn to say "uh, huh" a lot while nodding his head. :mrgreen:

Sure, I could do the "uh, huh" and nod, but I won't ask you about the weather or how you are doing. :wink:

See, that last part there is what irks me. Even if you know that asking me how I was would just make my day you still would go out of your way NOT to do it. Nope, wouldn't work.

I wouldn't decide not to do it, but I would forget to do it. The worst thing is having to remember to do certain things regularly, as this requires a lot of effort from me.

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2016, 4:36 am

rdos wrote:
nurseangela wrote:
rdos wrote:
nurseangela wrote:
What I mean is that NT's go by eye contact and body gestures almost 95% of the time, but that does not work when reading Aspies - so they have to give that up in an NT/Aspie relationship.

So do NDs. They are even forced to give up their body gestures because NTs dislike them. So you have no point. :mrgreen:

nurseangela wrote:
Can't give up small talk, so if I'm ever in a real life Aspie/NT relationship he better get some sunglasses (so he doesn't have to make eye contact) and some ear plugs and learn to say "uh, huh" a lot while nodding his head. :mrgreen:

Sure, I could do the "uh, huh" and nod, but I won't ask you about the weather or how you are doing. :wink:

See, that last part there is what irks me. Even if you know that asking me how I was would just make my day you still would go out of your way NOT to do it. Nope, wouldn't work.

I wouldn't decide not to do it, but I would forget to do it. The worst thing is having to remember to do certain things regularly, as this requires a lot of effort from me.

That's why they have cell phone apps and post-it notes.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 83 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2016, 4:44 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:
nurseangela wrote:
I think anything where one of you has to go like a funeral, both of you go.
I wouldn't mind going to a funeral with her. It's just that she wasn't clear on whether or not she wanted me to go. If you told me she wanted me to go I'd go.

But she didn't tell me and got mad when I didn't figure it out. True it was on a weekday and I'm not certain if my job's bereavement leave policy extends to girlfriend's friend's father

The thing that bothered me, is when she said she didn't expect me to go but she still wanted me to offer. Why would she want me to offer if she didn't actually want me to go? She wants me to offer so she can say no and she expects me to no that without her telling me. What kind of game is that?
nurseangela wrote:
You're supposed to be one unit. That means parties, family gatherings, etc.
I like the sound of being a unit. I like the sound of going to parties and family gatherings together.

After all, she came to my families Easter BBQ. It took a lot of persuading. She didn't want to go because she was nervous to meet my family (though she's NT, she's a good deal more shy than I am).

She refused to come until the last minute. She said she felt "more energetic". I notice that either due to depression or irregular work hours she goes through phases where she has very low energy. (sometimes she works 12 per day, sometimes less, sometimes she has to get up at 4AM, other times she sleeps in but works until 11PM, sometimes both but with a gap of a few hours in the middle). This makes her irratable. I said she should get a 9 - 5 job. She says she wants to stick to her cleaning job because it's "easy" and "low stress". If that's the case than why does she often tell me how hard it is and how it's stressing her out? She said it's the easiest job she's ever had. She said her other jobs were horrible so maybe it's only the easiest job she's had in comparison to the others.

Anyway, her mother convinced her she should go. I hope she listens to her mother more often.

Sometimes when she talks about all she's done for me, I wonder if she's forgetting all I've done for her. I made major changes to my habits to keep the house clean but she says that's "expected". One time I ddid her a favour and she said I made no effort. She changed her mind when I said how much effort I put into it.
nurseangela wrote:
I would like to know if any Aspie men have read books about Aspie/NT relationships.
I have. About five years ago I read a book called Asperger Meets GIrl by Jonathan Griffiths. I didn't understand much of it. Maybe I'd understand more of it now.
MaxE wrote:
1.) You have posted previously about what I would call an "obsession" (sorry if you don't think of it that way) with thin Asian women. If your GF is aware if it, then she may feel insecure and needs more than the usual amount of reassurance that you won't dump her as soon as a thin Asian woman shows genuine interest in you. Many women who are not traditionally "hot" have this problem and they end up breaking up with guys who actually want to stay with them.
Obsession is a good word for my fascination skinny Asian girls. I mean I'm attracted to skinny white girls as well but that's normal so I wouldn't call that an obsession.

GF is neither. She's a fat white girl. She knows I dated a Chinese girl in the past and she knows about my attempts to pick up Philippine girls. She knows that I like thin girls, at least she does now.

For our first few weeks of dating, she kept on talking about how she wants to lose weight. I said I wanted her to lose weight too and she was devastated. This confused me. I thought it would be fine because she'd already talked about how she wanted to lose weight. I was only echoing what she'd already said.

She said she felt like she'd been stabbed. She was crying. She said she thought I wasn't like other guys, that I didn't care about that. Then she said it was only natural since all guys prefer skinny women (not true, some like fat women but I think those guys are in the minority).

It happened again when she asked why I was trying to pick up that Philippine girl a few months before I met her. She asked why I was attracted to her. If she didn't want to know the answer she shouldn't have asked. I answered truthfully. I said because she was very thin and weighed only 42 KG.

More crying. she said I should have told her a white lie. This lead to a long discussion about how I don't really get white lies and I'm not very good at it. Part of the reason is because I don't know when it will be obvious. I was worried that if I said something too flattering it would sound phony and that she'd be able to tell I'm lying (later I tried laying the flattery on real thick so that it sounded really phony and obvious and she seemed to like it. Either she believed it or she didn't believe it but still appreciated the sentiment).

Eventually I convinced her to give up soft drinks and because of that she's gradually losing weight.
MaxE wrote:
On the other hand, some "plus-size" women have learned they can get a guy panting with sexual desire just as easily as a super model
Really? How does that work?

Anyway, I'm pretty sure GF has a fetish for Indian guys. Her longest relationship was with an Indian guy and she talks about Indian things a lot. And yet she doesn't like spicy food? She's missing out on the best part of Indian culture.
MaxE wrote:
You might want to give serious thought to the possibility of marriage, even if you don't think you're ready.
Sure, I've thought about it, I've talked to her about it. She told me I'm forbidden to propose to her until I've known her for 2 years lol. After reading the introduction to The Five Love Languages, that said the "honeymoon phase" lasts for 2 years I decided to make it 3 years so there'll be a 1 year margin of error. After that I wouldn't mind marrying her. She said she was OK with a cheap wedding, only $5,000. I was shocked this was considered cheap.
MaxE wrote:
How many prior serious relationships has she been in?
Two brief relationships but she's still inexperienced.
MaxE wrote:
Is she comparing you to previous boyfriends (with whom she eventually broke up anyway)?
Yes. Favourably. She says I'm a lot better than her previous boyfriends.

But she compares me unfavorably to her friends' boyfriends. Usually as a way to hint that she wants me to do or buy the same thing her friend's boyfriend did. That Chinese girl I used to date did the same thing.
MaxE wrote:
If she doesn't have a lot of experience in that area, then she may be influenced by a preconceived notion of what a relationship is supposed to be like.
I knew all those Bollywood romance films she watches would be a bad idea.
nerdygirl wrote:
Take notes on what your girlfriend is asking you to do.
I will
nerdygirl wrote:
Things like saying "good morning" or "how was your day?" are simple things. Or *always* asking "would you like me to go?" when she has a thing she needs to go to.

Even if comes out awkward sometimes, that is better than nothing. If she loves you, she will put up with awkward attempts and see them for what they are - a sincere effort to show love.
True
rdos wrote:
A while ago wife was listening to a program about relationships, and they handed out advice to say "I love you" or "I like you" all the time.
She has never said that. The Chinese girl used to say it in a very casual way but GF has never said it. She often calls me "best boyfriend ever" or other compliments but she's never said she loves me.
nurseangela wrote:
Do they teach about actual male/female relationships in those classes or is it just how NT's in general act?
If they're anything like the classes I took than yes, they have classes on relationships and they're terrible. They segregated into guys and girls. I don't know what they taught in the girls class but I found the guys class to be largely useless. It was all really obvious stuff like "Take a shower first, don't stick". I found it so patronizing.

The worst thing was they didn't teach anything at all about flirting or body language or how to tell if a girl is interested in you or how to show interest without blurting it out. They didn't teach any of the stuff aspies would actually need to know.

They had a thing on how aspie guys should join different clubs etc, where young women might hang out. That's find but if an aspie goes to one of those places without knowledge of flirting and body language than he would stay there for years without getting anywhere. If a girl ever liked him there, he'd never know it. Not if he followed the advice of this class.

From the two NT women teaching the class (both married), I got the impression that they knew nothing of courtship because they'd never courted anyone. They'd been courted. Their husbands courted them. At the very least they've never had the experience of being a guy asking a girl out.
mummymunt wrote:
Maybe you could get her to read this book:22 Things a Woman Must Know If She Loves a Man with Asperger's Syndrome
Worth a try. I just texted her the link. But really it's supposed to be about how I can accommodate her, not the other way around, maybe we can meet in the middle.
mummymunt wrote:
Another thing for YOU to look at is The 5 Love Languages.
I was looking at that before. I haven't read the whole thing. I could borrow my Mum's copy.

GF and I were discussing that book, we took the quiz. We determined that her language is gifts and mine is touch. I'm a real Klingon lol.
mikeman7918 wrote:
I took those classes in my early teen years and there is really no need to know anything about dating at that age.
Wow, I should have started dating earlier. It would have been so much easier.[/quote]

Dude, she doesn't know anything about your Aspieness. She either needs to learn or it will end in divorce.

Never mention weight.

She wanted you to offer to go to the funeral because it would have been an act of showing you cared. It's not a game we play, but she's going to have to know that this kind of thing won't be happening with you. It's an NT thing.

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2016, 5:54 am

nurseangela wrote:
That's why they have cell phone apps and post-it notes.

I hate cell phones, and I especially hate to be constantly reachable, so that wouldn't work for me. I also hate to schedule my time.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2016, 8:19 am

nurseangela wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:
nurseangela wrote:
I think anything where one of you has to go like a funeral, both of you go.
I wouldn't mind going to a funeral with her. It's just that she wasn't clear on whether or not she wanted me to go. If you told me she wanted me to go I'd go.

But she didn't tell me and got mad when I didn't figure it out. True it was on a weekday and I'm not certain if my job's bereavement leave policy extends to girlfriend's friend's father

The thing that bothered me, is when she said she didn't expect me to go but she still wanted me to offer. Why would she want me to offer if she didn't actually want me to go? She wants me to offer so she can say no and she expects me to no that without her telling me. What kind of game is that?
nurseangela wrote:
You're supposed to be one unit. That means parties, family gatherings, etc.
I like the sound of being a unit. I like the sound of going to parties and family gatherings together.

After all, she came to my families Easter BBQ. It took a lot of persuading. She didn't want to go because she was nervous to meet my family (though she's NT, she's a good deal more shy than I am).

She refused to come until the last minute. She said she felt "more energetic". I notice that either due to depression or irregular work hours she goes through phases where she has very low energy. (sometimes she works 12 per day, sometimes less, sometimes she has to get up at 4AM, other times she sleeps in but works until 11PM, sometimes both but with a gap of a few hours in the middle). This makes her irratable. I said she should get a 9 - 5 job. She says she wants to stick to her cleaning job because it's "easy" and "low stress". If that's the case than why does she often tell me how hard it is and how it's stressing her out? She said it's the easiest job she's ever had. She said her other jobs were horrible so maybe it's only the easiest job she's had in comparison to the others.

Anyway, her mother convinced her she should go. I hope she listens to her mother more often.

Sometimes when she talks about all she's done for me, I wonder if she's forgetting all I've done for her. I made major changes to my habits to keep the house clean but she says that's "expected". One time I ddid her a favour and she said I made no effort. She changed her mind when I said how much effort I put into it.
nurseangela wrote:
I would like to know if any Aspie men have read books about Aspie/NT relationships.
I have. About five years ago I read a book called Asperger Meets GIrl by Jonathan Griffiths. I didn't understand much of it. Maybe I'd understand more of it now.
MaxE wrote:
1.) You have posted previously about what I would call an "obsession" (sorry if you don't think of it that way) with thin Asian women. If your GF is aware if it, then she may feel insecure and needs more than the usual amount of reassurance that you won't dump her as soon as a thin Asian woman shows genuine interest in you. Many women who are not traditionally "hot" have this problem and they end up breaking up with guys who actually want to stay with them.
Obsession is a good word for my fascination skinny Asian girls. I mean I'm attracted to skinny white girls as well but that's normal so I wouldn't call that an obsession.

GF is neither. She's a fat white girl. She knows I dated a Chinese girl in the past and she knows about my attempts to pick up Philippine girls. She knows that I like thin girls, at least she does now.

For our first few weeks of dating, she kept on talking about how she wants to lose weight. I said I wanted her to lose weight too and she was devastated. This confused me. I thought it would be fine because she'd already talked about how she wanted to lose weight. I was only echoing what she'd already said.

She said she felt like she'd been stabbed. She was crying. She said she thought I wasn't like other guys, that I didn't care about that. Then she said it was only natural since all guys prefer skinny women (not true, some like fat women but I think those guys are in the minority).

It happened again when she asked why I was trying to pick up that Philippine girl a few months before I met her. She asked why I was attracted to her. If she didn't want to know the answer she shouldn't have asked. I answered truthfully. I said because she was very thin and weighed only 42 KG.

More crying. she said I should have told her a white lie. This lead to a long discussion about how I don't really get white lies and I'm not very good at it. Part of the reason is because I don't know when it will be obvious. I was worried that if I said something too flattering it would sound phony and that she'd be able to tell I'm lying (later I tried laying the flattery on real thick so that it sounded really phony and obvious and she seemed to like it. Either she believed it or she didn't believe it but still appreciated the sentiment).

Eventually I convinced her to give up soft drinks and because of that she's gradually losing weight.
MaxE wrote:
On the other hand, some "plus-size" women have learned they can get a guy panting with sexual desire just as easily as a super model
Really? How does that work?

Anyway, I'm pretty sure GF has a fetish for Indian guys. Her longest relationship was with an Indian guy and she talks about Indian things a lot. And yet she doesn't like spicy food? She's missing out on the best part of Indian culture.
MaxE wrote:
You might want to give serious thought to the possibility of marriage, even if you don't think you're ready.
Sure, I've thought about it, I've talked to her about it. She told me I'm forbidden to propose to her until I've known her for 2 years lol. After reading the introduction to The Five Love Languages, that said the "honeymoon phase" lasts for 2 years I decided to make it 3 years so there'll be a 1 year margin of error. After that I wouldn't mind marrying her. She said she was OK with a cheap wedding, only $5,000. I was shocked this was considered cheap.
MaxE wrote:
How many prior serious relationships has she been in?
Two brief relationships but she's still inexperienced.
MaxE wrote:
Is she comparing you to previous boyfriends (with whom she eventually broke up anyway)?
Yes. Favourably. She says I'm a lot better than her previous boyfriends.

But she compares me unfavorably to her friends' boyfriends. Usually as a way to hint that she wants me to do or buy the same thing her friend's boyfriend did. That Chinese girl I used to date did the same thing.
MaxE wrote:
If she doesn't have a lot of experience in that area, then she may be influenced by a preconceived notion of what a relationship is supposed to be like.
I knew all those Bollywood romance films she watches would be a bad idea.
nerdygirl wrote:
Take notes on what your girlfriend is asking you to do.
I will
nerdygirl wrote:
Things like saying "good morning" or "how was your day?" are simple things. Or *always* asking "would you like me to go?" when she has a thing she needs to go to.

Even if comes out awkward sometimes, that is better than nothing. If she loves you, she will put up with awkward attempts and see them for what they are - a sincere effort to show love.
True
rdos wrote:
A while ago wife was listening to a program about relationships, and they handed out advice to say "I love you" or "I like you" all the time.
She has never said that. The Chinese girl used to say it in a very casual way but GF has never said it. She often calls me "best boyfriend ever" or other compliments but she's never said she loves me.
nurseangela wrote:
Do they teach about actual male/female relationships in those classes or is it just how NT's in general act?
If they're anything like the classes I took than yes, they have classes on relationships and they're terrible. They segregated into guys and girls. I don't know what they taught in the girls class but I found the guys class to be largely useless. It was all really obvious stuff like "Take a shower first, don't stick". I found it so patronizing.

The worst thing was they didn't teach anything at all about flirting or body language or how to tell if a girl is interested in you or how to show interest without blurting it out. They didn't teach any of the stuff aspies would actually need to know.

They had a thing on how aspie guys should join different clubs etc, where young women might hang out. That's find but if an aspie goes to one of those places without knowledge of flirting and body language than he would stay there for years without getting anywhere. If a girl ever liked him there, he'd never know it. Not if he followed the advice of this class.

From the two NT women teaching the class (both married), I got the impression that they knew nothing of courtship because they'd never courted anyone. They'd been courted. Their husbands courted them. At the very least they've never had the experience of being a guy asking a girl out.
mummymunt wrote:
Maybe you could get her to read this book:22 Things a Woman Must Know If She Loves a Man with Asperger's Syndrome
Worth a try. I just texted her the link. But really it's supposed to be about how I can accommodate her, not the other way around, maybe we can meet in the middle.
mummymunt wrote:
Another thing for YOU to look at is The 5 Love Languages.
I was looking at that before. I haven't read the whole thing. I could borrow my Mum's copy.

GF and I were discussing that book, we took the quiz. We determined that her language is gifts and mine is touch. I'm a real Klingon lol.
mikeman7918 wrote:
I took those classes in my early teen years and there is really no need to know anything about dating at that age.
Wow, I should have started dating earlier. It would have been so much easier.

Dude, she doesn't know anything about your Aspieness. She either needs to learn or it will end in divorce.

Never mention weight.

She wanted you to offer to go to the funeral because it would have been an act of showing you cared. It's not a game we play, but she's going to have to know that this kind of thing won't be happening with you. It's an NT thing.
I told GF about this threa d and she liked it. I suggested she read the bookrecommendedby mummymunt,22 Things a Woman Must Know If She Loves a Man with Asperger's Syndrome and she said she thought the purpose of the thread was for me to find out what I can do toaccommodateher neurotypicalness.

Ithoughtthis was a little selfish of her. I suggested we try to meet half way and she said she was OK with that.

Update: She just sent me a bunch of links to Wikihow articles, e.g. How to be a Good Boyfriend. This doesn't seem like meeting half way to me. It seems kind of selfish to me.

Should I
a) Send her links to similar Wikihow articles such as How to be Good Girlfriend
b) Send her links to the F Plus episodes that explain how bad Wikihow is?
c) Send her links tothe F Plus episodesthat explain howbad Wikihow is?
d) Do nothing

I'm thinking of going with c. Because Wikihow is a wiki I could write an article with whatever instructions I want and she'd think it's the official stance of Wikihow. How should Iwieldthis great power?

Last edited by RetroGamer87 on 10 Apr 2016, 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2016, 8:35 am

I'd go with (a) Send her links to similar Wikihow articles such as How to be Good Girlfriend. Maybe select something from a better source, as I'm sure that's available too. You might also buy her a copy of neurotribes (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Neurotribes-Leg ... 760113638/).

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2016, 8:41 am

You send her information on Asperger's that explains why you do some of the things you do. Like Tony Attwood videos. She might be trying to show you what she would like from you and you're going to have to see if you can accommodate. She has to look at your information too - it goes both ways.

Darn, I flunked.

Aspiewordsmith
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2016, 9:08 am

I ask how my girlfriend is feeling if she needs a bit of reassurance and we both have Asperger syndrome and I also do the practical stuff as well as the emotional stuff with her. The practical stuff like lending £20 so she can get to work when her bank account is skinted out and doing breakfasts when she stays over for a weekend. I also show her lots of affection as well so she can feel that I love and care about her as well. I have been with her since July 13th 2015 and got together over Facebook after she hit on me a month earlier. No I have never had a fully allistic girlfriend and happy with my aspie girlfriend.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2016, 9:22 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:
...Should I
d) Do nothing

I'm thinking of going with c. Because Wikihow is a wiki I could write an article with whatever instructions I want and she'd think it's the official stance of Wikihow. How should Iwieldthis great power?
d) gets my vote because trying to even the score is a losing strategy.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2016, 9:29 am

How about RetroGamer sending his girlfirend "ten ways to be a good girlfriend?"

JO823
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Apr 2016, 10:37 am

Quote:
Should I
d) Do nothing

Answer D: Do nothing
If you are trying to escalate a problem/argument, the other 3 options would likely do that. However, if you are wanting to come to a peaceful agreement and resolve it, D is your best option. After a day or so, you could talk about it, in person preferably.

She seems to be getting very frustrated, which is not good. This tends to be a red flag/warning sign that NT's give when they are thinking about breaking up if things do not improve. You're going to have to do like so many other Aspies (such as myself) have done, which is learn what NT's need and then practice it out and cultivate this as a skill. When it registers that just as Aspies have needs, as NT's have needs it becomes easier to want to meet those. We are not talking about wants here most of the time, there are basic needs in a relationship (just as there are in everyday life with food, water, shelter).

You both should to continue to read, watch programs on what each other needs, etc. This should help if the information gained is practiced. My hope is that each of you will try to meet in the middle, and then maybe this relationship will have a better chance.

slenkar
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2016, 11:11 am

You could be getting into this for the wrong reasons, you may have to adopt behaviors that make you uncomfortable just to please someone else.(who might not be too interested in pleasing you,but just wants a boyfriend, any boyfriend)

Rdos says he has a great relationship where he doesn't feel compromised or uncomfortable, so if I were you I would ask him a bunch of questions and see if you can't get the same.

JO823
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Apr 2016, 12:13 pm

slenkar wrote:
You could be getting into this for the wrong reasons, you may have to adopt behaviors that make you uncomfortable just to please someone else.(who might not be too interested in pleasing you,but just wants a boyfriend, any boyfriend)

Rdos says he has a great relationship where he doesn't feel compromised or uncomfortable, so if I were you I would ask him a bunch of questions and see if you can't get the same.

If one was to take the relationship advice of rdos (sorry, I am actually laughing at the thought of someone attempting to do this) that person will not end up with anyone that's worth having. Who would want to be with a doormat? No self-respecting lady would want to be with someone like rdos, because he has already admitted MANY, MANY times and even bragged of it, that he is a man that is unwilling to compromise. A woman should want to compromise herself in an unselfish way, and so should a man...that is...if both persons truly want to ultimately please each other. The picture that I get in my mind of rdos's love slave (can't really call her an equal now can we, because that would entail that as a human being she would also have rights)....is someone who says, "Okay, yes, whatever you want master" (while all the while thinking/planning of how she can escape the unhappy relationship and be with someone else or worse yet...that she thinks she deserves to be with man that is fixed and unwilling to change even minor things.) Either way, that is very sad.

I have helped many relationships within a counseling setting and they have been thankful and surprised at the changes in how their love increased in depth for one another. You can either accept or reject what I'm rationally proposing here. That is up to you, but I do know for a fact that I've seen amazing differences in the quality of relationships when both people choose to compromise. We're not talking about someone changing their whole personality here!! ! (lol)

On the other hand, there might be a small handful of people that do want to have something shallow with another person. If someone is looking for a very unfulfilling and surface relationship where only one person's needs get catered too...then yes, by all means do exactly what rdos is suggesting. Otherwise, take it from the seasoned men and women here who have been in some healthy and long-lasting relationships.

Just because I'm an Aspie doesn't mean that I expect a "get out jail free card" on everything - and from what I can tell the older, mature men/women Aspies here believe that as well. A relationship is hard work for both people, but it is worth it and tends to get easier with practice/time. In the end, we all have to simply decide what we want and what we are willing to contribute, to give up and what we also expect from the other person we're with, as well.

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2016, 3:48 pm

JO823 wrote:
If one was to take the relationship advice of rdos (sorry, I am actually laughing at the thought of someone attempting to do this) that person will not end up with anyone that's worth having. Who would want to be with a doormat? No self-respecting lady would want to be with someone like rdos, because he has already admitted MANY, MANY times and even bragged of it, that he is a man that is unwilling to compromise.

I don't think I have. I've claimed that my way of selecting possible partners have made it unnecessary to play silly NT games because only NDs will pass the selection process.

So I'm not at all unwilling to compromise, rather to the contrary, I'm pretty good at that.

JO823 wrote:
A woman should want to compromise herself in an unselfish way, and so should a man...that is...if both persons truly want to ultimately please each other. The picture that I get in my mind of rdos's love slave (can't really call her an equal now can we, because that would entail that as a human being she would also have rights)....is someone who says, "Okay, yes, whatever you want master" (while all the while thinking/planning of how she can escape the unhappy relationship and be with someone else or worse yet...that she thinks she deserves to be with man that is fixed and unwilling to change even minor things.) Either way, that is very sad.

Sorry, but I'm not into BD/SM, and if I would get into it, I'd go into it as a masochist.

JO823 wrote:
I have helped many relationships within a counseling setting and they have been thankful and surprised at the changes in how their love increased in depth for one another. You can either accept or reject what I'm rationally proposing here. That is up to you, but I do know for a fact that I've seen amazing differences in the quality of relationships when both people choose to compromise. We're not talking about someone changing their whole personality here!! ! (lol)

First, I think I have more merits than you, having been married for 23 years and having 3 children, two on the autism spectrum and one with ADHD. AFAIK, your only experience with autism and relationships are failed relationships, the last one with another Aspie, a relationship that it appears you messed up really bad by your demands on him to act neurotypical.

I won't say much more on your counseling attempts, but at least they doesn't seem proper for ND/ND relationships, and the demands you put on NDs in relationships with NTs seems to be very high and unbalanced.

JO823 wrote:
On the other hand, there might be a small handful of people that do want to have something shallow with another person. If someone is looking for a very unfulfilling and surface relationship where only one person's needs get catered too...then yes, by all means do exactly what rdos is suggesting. Otherwise, take it from the seasoned men and women here who have been in some healthy and long-lasting relationships.

Would that be you?? You mean your last relationship was healthy? :roll:

Besides, you have obviously not read much of my posts if you think I like shallow relationships. You do know that I advocate you should have a strong obsession lasting months or more with a potential partner before you get verbal? That makes sure it's not shallow. Dating is typically what creates shallow relationships, and especially for people that don't bond with sex.

JO823 wrote:
Just because I'm an Aspie doesn't mean that I expect a "get out jail free card" on everything - and from what I can tell the older, mature men/women Aspies here believe that as well. A relationship is hard work for both people, but it is worth it and tends to get easier with practice/time. In the end, we all have to simply decide what we want and what we are willing to contribute, to give up and what we also expect from the other person we're with, as well.

No, relationships are not hard work. That's a stupid suggestion. Relationships should give energy and happiness, not drain you by game-playing and trying to fit in.

Also, people that have huge demand lists and expectations for a relationship, simply are not relationship material. Those are game-players that never will settle down with anything long-term. I'd absolutely not to get together with somebody that put huge demands on a relationship. Even if I might meet them first, nobody knows what happens when things change. I take wedding vows seriously, and I expect a potential partner to do that too.

Last edited by rdos on 10 Apr 2016, 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

slenkar
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2016, 4:01 pm

I don't get the impression that rdos wife is a doormat, I get the impression that she is on his wavelength and is just as happy.
I could be wrong of course.

The idea of a relationship where my iPhone alarm goes off to remind me to say meaningless hollow platitudes sounds terrible.

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2016, 4:08 pm

slenkar wrote:
I don't get the impression that rdos wife is a doormat

She is not. She is a hot-tempered woman with a strong will. Living with her requires you to read her emotions and the ability to quickly back-off when she gets upset. :lol: