Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2016, 1:22 am

People compliment my style, but I never feel like I'm well-dressed enough. I always feel like my outfit is awkward. I'm also self-conscious about the way my hair and makeup looks. My face is round/square and I have pretty much no cheek bones and small eyes. Makeup tutorials kind of help, but I hate trendy makeup with a passion.
My glasses magnify my eyes, but it's mostly magnifying my left eye. That makes my awkwardness even worse. I also have extremely unstylable hair. I have no idea how to work with my hair and hairstylists don't either! My hair looks normal to hairdressers when they first look at it. When they start actually working with it they realize how thick and out of control it is. That means I'm hardly ever happy with my haircuts. I also hate trendy haircuts.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2016, 6:50 am

If people compliment your style, you're probably not as bad as you think you are.

I don't dress badly....but I'm never "complimented on my style."

Everything_At_Once
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 Apr 2016, 7:37 am

I am quite fashion aware, and was much more so when I was your age, assuming you are still around 19. However, as I get older, I become more aware that the most interesting styles are those that are totally unique. With sensory issues, I wear what is comfortable and try to also ensure it is nice looking. However, I am not that interested anymore in trends or fitting in. I like to watch fashion shows, such as Project Runway, and this has given me a perspective on how highly subjective fashion is. If you hate fads, you could invest in classic pieces, which always look elegant. Such pieces include a-line dresses, straight leg jeans, turtlenecks, button down shirts, trench coats, etc. Trends are pretty difficult - they really require a certain budget, body shape / size (jumpsuits are not for me!!) and awareness of said trends. Trends typically only last a season or a few years at best. Trendy items are usually not that well constructed. You can always add a few inexpensive accessories in line with trends if you want. Consider that your idea of well-dressed is highly subjective. You could ask some trusted neurotypical folks for a check and balance. But the most important thing is that you maintain basic hygiene and that you have garments that will be appropriate for your lifestyle. For example, if you work, you may need certain pieces. Makeup is a whole other issue. I used to wear makeup a lot but now am worried about the chemicals. Also, if your motor skills are not "typical," it can be a very big challenge. You can go quite simple and still look polished - mascara, blush and lip gloss. Have you watched video tutorials of make up application? To achieve a certain look can take quite a bit of time, especially if you have motor control difficulties. So you may decide it's not worth it. I'm sorry, I don't have any advice for your hair. Mine is fine and cut short. But - a good hair stylist should be able to work with whatever texture you have.

AQ 36

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2016, 12:34 pm

I don't actually like trends. I just want to have a proper look if that makes any sense. When I look at people around me it seems like they have a proper look. I always admire people with proper looks. Especially if they're not following trends too much.

Maple78
Raven
Raven

11 Apr 2016, 12:49 pm

It's nice that you don't like trends - you can find your look and keep it, then! I would check out different books on style on amazon - here is one, for example: "Shopping for the Real You: Ten Essential Steps to a Better Wardrobe for Every Woman" The ones I've got are for older women than you are, but you may be able to find article online or videos on youtube addressing personal style. I think what you are looking for is coherence in your style - one real style. It's a real thing - people notice when someone's outfit and style looks harmonious and fluid, even if only subconsciously. But check out articles, and I also have found Pinterest to be very useful - I made my own boards for style I like and didn't, then just searched pinterest for various items/outfits (e.g. red skirt outfit), and would look at everything that came up, then categorize it as good or bad. Then I would go back and look at each board for patterns - and I would notice what I really liked or didn't like, what styles I really liked. There are plenty of pins/articles just on different iconic styles, and those can serve as inspiration to developing your own distinct style.

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2016, 12:51 pm

I've tried out Pinterest. I didn't like it. Mainly because I hate the Pinterest aesthetic. Hopefully there's a better way of doing this.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2016, 11:35 am

DevilKisses wrote:
I don't actually like trends. I just want to have a proper look if that makes any sense. When I look at people around me it seems like they have a proper look. I always admire people with proper looks. Especially if they're not following trends too much.

So generic yuppies? That is the only group of people that comes to mind with that description, but they also tend to act snobby...so not sure if thats the sort of people you meant, or what you'd call them in canada.