Do you go to an autistic-friendly school?

Page 3 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2020, 7:37 pm

But you’re very intelligent.

I bet more people than you think like you.

Whale_Tuune
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2020, 7:44 pm

zenaspie wrote:
Nope. I wish I was homeschooled or put in a private normal school. Here special schools are very limited and don’t provide much, they put all kids with special needs in one class no matter the condition or intellectual level and it’s a chaos.

Special schools are a mixed bag. They can be more supportive, or they can be degrading. For example, try being told that you won't be able to ever go to normal school or college.

Whale_Tuune
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2020, 7:53 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
But you’re very intelligent.

I bet more people than you think like you.

Aw thanks Kraftie :)

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

17 Apr 2020, 9:16 pm

Whale_Tuune wrote:
zenaspie wrote:
Nope. I wish I was homeschooled or put in a private normal school. Here special schools are very limited and don’t provide much, they put all kids with special needs in one class no matter the condition or intellectual level and it’s a chaos.

Special schools are a mixed bag. They can be more supportive, or they can be degrading. For example, try being told that you won't be able to ever go to normal school or college.
I knew since I was little that regular school was NOT rite for me. I did aLOT better in the dyslexic school I mentioned in my other posts in this thread. I struggled majorly in other schools & only passed half of my classes cuz my grade was curved. I slacked off in some subjects cuz I knew I was gonna fail the tests no matter how hard I tried. I much rather sit down & relax than trying to run while chained to a five hundred ton bolder. That's how I felt about some of my classes. That's one of the reasons I developed Learned Helplessness. The only thing I was completely sure about during my high-school years was that I did NOT want to go to college. I think I would of been more successful now if people were more aware of my various disabilities & I had better schooling or tutoring that was better designed for my issues instead of being thrown in a den of wolves for the majority of my schooling.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2020, 9:42 pm

I had an IEP (but didn't know about it until high school and therefore did not take advantage of the accomodations it provided me, like extra time on tests), but I went to NT schools. Not sure if going to an autism-friendly school would have helped or not because I think they probably would be set up for people lower-functioning than me, which would mean I'd just have a different set of problems instead of not having most of them.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

Last edited by dragonsanddemons on 17 Apr 2020, 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

paper.alien
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Apr 2020, 9:49 pm

No. In fact there is a lot of ignorance and misinformation regarding neurodiversity in society in general. This fact is particularly evident when you live in an underdeveloped country.

AriaEclipse
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2020, 2:15 pm

K-12 was so-so. I went to the same school district the entire time and they tended to overlook me maybe because of my gender and the fact that I got good grades. I did get help by talking to the school psychologist from second grade until I graduated and I had mostly kind and understanding teachers (including some exceptionally great ones) but also a few terrible ones. I got harassed and bullied a lot by my peers but that would probably have happened anywhere.

College has been better, mainly because I commute to a small school about 20 minutes from my home and am able to mainly focus on my classes and even take several online. I feel like by just going in and working on my assignments and then leaving or hanging out in the library during breaks, the social stuff isn't a problem for me and I tend to be fine. I'm hoping to earn a master's degree someday.

My Tumblr

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2020, 5:48 pm

I went to mainstream school but the special needs department was very good and they seemed pretty educated and understanding of neurodiversity like autism, dyslexia, learning difficulties, ADHD, and other neurological disorders that could make a child different or struggle with their work or making friends, etc.

ElizabethManning
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 Jul 2020, 11:46 am

Yes, because everyone should have friends. They don't need to feel themselves, as the unfully people.

Pertichor
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 Nov 2020, 8:33 pm

I go to a school that's theraputic and has a lot of aspies, because i cannot focus in a normal school. I get so self conscious about it :( . There were 2 buildings, 1 i will call building A, which was absolutely terrible you would hear people shouting slurs in hallways. But I have gotten stable now am in building B - its a small little community and everybody's so nice :mrgreen: !

P.S
I was not in Building A because I use slurs (I don't) they just start you off there