Co-Enzyme Q10 - pain relief, digestion

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

plainjain
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Apr 2016, 2:40 pm

Hello there everyone!

I've had chronic pain for as long as I can remember, and some muscle spasticity to go along with it. I've spoken to lots of doctors, but mostly the things I've found to be helpful I discovered myself. In 2011, I started taking Burdock Root (Arctium Lappa), and that provided some pain relief, mostly in my feet and tailbone, which were the worst parts. I have to keep taking that, or my pain returns. A few years later, I tried Myrrh resin, and that helped the worst pain in my neck. I was able to stop taking that, and then only the bearable pain remained. The worst pain never came back.

Recently, I was reading up on a prescription medicine called, "baclofen", that is good for muscle spasticity, and learned that it is not habit forming, and people don't build up a tolerance to it. I also learned that it might work by hooking up with the same receptors that GABA (gamma Aminobutyric Acid) hooks up to in the body. So, I tried GABA, and felt at least some of my muscles in my neck and back become very relaxed, and I felt some pain relief.

I didn't want to take GABA supplements long term, though, because I've read that people can build up a tolerance to it, and also it could trigger a major depressive episode in some people. Since I've learned GABA is supposed to be produced by the body normally through digestion, and since my digestion has always been a wreck, I did more reading, and settled on trying this other stuff called, Co-Enzyme Q10.

I am feeling results, but it's completely different from the GABA. The muscles in my neck and back seem to be sort of half way between the total relaxation I felt when I took GABA, and the rock hard state they're usually in, when I don't take anything at all for digestion. There is some pain relief, but it's not as evident as it was with the GABA.

I'm just writing here because I was wondering if anyone else has tried Co-Enzyme Q10, and what your experiences with it were? I've read it works better combined with exercise - is that true? I feel like maybe I could handle some exercise now that some of my pain is gone, but I know I can't over-do it yet, as I did dishes yesterday, and was flat on my back for a few hours afterward! :lol:

I've noticed at my food co-op that there are other options of digestive enzymes, too. Some of them have like six or eight different enzymes in them. If anyone knows of anything better to try than just Co-Enzyme Q10, that would be awesome, because I'm a little overwhelmed by all of this! I guess I was thinking that if co-enzyme Q10 was helping with digestion enough to help some muscles relax, maybe there are others that would finish the job, and I could be pain free, for a change?

Also, if anyone knows of gentle exercises for the back of the neck, I'd really appreciate some advice. I think my muscles have been cramped up for so long that they're a bit out of shape now, and it would be good to train them.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help! I'd be grateful to hear your experiences and advice. I've been guessing my way through this for a very long time!

Take it easy!

green0star
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2016, 8:22 am

Coq-10 usually is good for when you take statin drugs I know, because its said to relieve the cramps and stuff. It also helps in the area of energy production. Fenugreek on a warm cloth will help tackle those inflamed ares though. Get the fenugreek powder, wet the cloth and spread it on the cloth than heat for about 20 sec in the microwave and apply to the inflamed area twice a day for 2 weeks. As for digestion I would make considerable friends with ginger and turmeric. Ginger you can pretty much add to anything as well as turmeric but a good way is to make a drink/tonic with them to take in the morning before you do anything. Also kombucha is good for digestions but that can get costly so its up to you what you wanna do (:

I used to take coq-10 not because I was on any statin drugs but because of general energy production and I exercise 5 day a week so I would recommend it. The reason why I stopped taking it is because it got too costly, so that's a thing to take into consideration. I did take it for 2 years though (:

plainjain
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Apr 2016, 1:10 pm

Thank you very much, green0star!

It's been a while since I read about fenugreek. All I really remember is (I think) it's good for regulating blood sugar, if taken internally. I will look it up again. Maybe I'm remembering wrong!

I use ginger often, and while I like the taste, I haven't noticed any relief from my symptoms. The same is true of turmeric. I have it on hand, and have tried even large amounts with no noticeable difference. However, I just recently learned that turmeric, cat's claw, and boswellia (Frankincense) supposedly can switch off the genes that cause chronic pain. So I've bought some Frankincense to try, if the digestive enzyme thing doesn't work out. I have more reading to do, though. I like to read about supplements and herbs before I try them!

I haven't tried kombucha, thanks for the tip! It's like a yogurt or fermented drink, right? I know I've seen it around. Maybe I'll try some.

The coQ 10, (or if I get a combo pill with several digestive enzymes in it) seems like it's going to cost me about one to two dollars a day. But if I'm able to regain some ability to do things I haven't been able to do for a long time, I think it's probably worth it, to me!

Thanks again for your answer.

green0star
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2016, 8:05 am

Its good for blood sugar and cholesterol actually(also female health). Fenugreek is a natural anti-inflammatory though so that should help since it helped many of the people I recommended it to (:

Kombucha is a fermented kinda of tea and because its fermented it has the good bacteria in it that will help your stomach enzymes and all that jazz. Kimchi also has this effect but which ever is more accessible is what you should go with. I personally think kombucha is easier because kimchi isn't really a thing you can eat everyday with a meal, plus it costs me. Kombucha you can pretty well drink on a regular basis and I know for me it takes a few days to drink anyway because its so tart. So it works out for me xD

Yea CoQ10 is really costly I would recommend if your local stores have a buy one get one free type deal to stock up then. You figure if 200mg of 60 supplaments is like $20 or something if you do the BOGO then you can atleast get 2 for $20 so in reality you're getting 2 for $10 so thats a good way to do it. Or atleast the way I used to do it.

plainjain
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Apr 2016, 12:04 pm

Okay, thank you! I will keep the fenugreek and Kombucha in mind. I've also got some Maca, (purple nutsedge, or cyprus rotundus) which I've read really good things about, but I've only tried it once, so far. I should work it in regularly, but I'm more focused on the digestive enzymes right now, since that seems to be working for me.

I really appreciate all of the suggestions, green0star! I'm so tired of being in pain, I'm happy for the advice!