Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

L_Holmes
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2016, 6:30 am

Apparently the factory I work at is losing a lot of money and so they are reducing the staff. And because I'm new and have not had the best numbers I'm not sure my chances of staying are great. It really sucks, because I was just interviewed for a higher-paying, more technical job here that would be much better suited to my abilities than what I'm doing now (part production).

I was told by the interviewer that he'd call me Wednesday or Thursday about his decision, but that was last week and I've heard nothing. I called and left a message yesterday morning. I think maybe it has to do with the staff reduction but I really have no idea.

Right now I'm making over $14 an hour plus overtime, and I am trying to pay off debt so I can save for college. Even with my current pay it's looking like it will be 2 or 3 years before I'm in a position to pay for school. If I get laid off I'm screwed.

I guess I'm just wondering, if I do get laid off, what am I supposed to do? I don't have any savings and anywhere else I apply is going to pay significantly less than what I currently get. I'd say best case scenario I will find something that pays $11 an hour, but most likely I'll have to settle for less. And I doubt I'll find something within the next week or two, which is when they will make the final decision of who is leaving. How am I supposed to pay bills and buy food? :?

- Sherlock Holmes

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

13 Apr 2016, 6:44 am

There might be some bright opportunities in your future but in the meantime work to safeguard your interests just in case. Start job-hunting now. Apply full-time, part-time, shift-work. Accept whatever may be offered. Get a roommate.

If all of this results in more than you want, cut some of it back, gracefully (you're so sorry etc.). Your job now is to make yourself safe. If somebody comes through with a job for you, that would be great. But don't rely on anybody but yourself. Get some feelers out there.

carbonmonoxide
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Apr 2016, 6:53 am

I don't know what you could do if you get laid off as that depends on where you live, but maybe you won't? Companies like keeping people who have broader knowledge.

arielhawksquill
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2016, 7:46 am

If you are laid off instead of fired, then you can apply for unemployment. It won't be the same amount as your full salary, but you can draw it for a pretty long time (like a year.) It's actually a pretty sweet deal, since you can use your time to job hunt or take care of your other adult life activities for a while and still get paid.

Google "how to file for unemployment" + the name of your state. You should find plenty of step by step instructions. On the day you get laid off, do the first step to start the process going (probably calling an automated system or going on a website) since it takes a little while for the first payment to come to you.

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

28 Apr 2016, 7:10 pm

I was just thinking of you, wondering how things turned out. How are you doing?

L_Holmes
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2016, 5:47 am

Claradoon wrote:
I was just thinking of you, wondering how things turned out. How are you doing?

Well so far it's looking like I'll be safe. So far to my knowledge they have laid off 21 people, as well as fired a higher-up manager, but I have not been told I'm being laid off. However I'm still hearing from other co-workers that they are going to continue laying people off.

Some people have even been saying that the company might go under and have to shut down completely. I actually had a bit of an aspie moment when a co-worker said of another co-worker, "She thinks they might have to close the doors." My response was, "But won't it it get really hot in here?" :lol: Apparently he meant they'd have to close up shop.

It will be really unfortunate for me because I doubt I'll find another job making even close to my current pay, and I need the money to pay off debt so I can go back to school. I have no marketable technical skills or formal training, and all of my previous jobs (including this one) have been either physical labor jobs or jobs in fast food. I was about to take a more technical position here, but have been informed that due to the reductions those job positions are no longer available for an indefinite amount of time.

I need college to get a good job, but I need a good job to afford college. And I'd also have to study something I'm not particularly motivated to learn (something with good job outlook and pay) just because if I don't I won't be able to pay off the debt.

So I'm pretty frustrated and stressed right now, but for the time being I'm still employed.

- Sherlock Holmes