Do you drive? What do you drive? What are your experiences?

Page 2 of 5 [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

ljbouchard
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2005, 6:23 pm

Correction - I was driving a 1993 Amtrans Genesis bus until the transmission gave out today. Looks like I will be driving either a 1995 Amtrans Genesis or a 1996 Ward for the rest of the school year.

"Only when all those who surround you are different, do you truly belong."
---------------------------------------------------
Fred Tate Little Man Tate

Anachronism
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 May 2005, 8:20 pm

I drive this-

There isn't a bolt on it left untouched- This is pretty close to the current configuration-

350 Roller Cam block .030 over (355ci)
Nodular Iron Crank .010 under
Clevite main, rod and cam bearings
X casting truck rods
TRW forged pistons (10:1 compression)
Melling high volume oil pump
Hastings moly rings
LT4 production cam/springs
Port Matched lower intake
Port Matched SLP runners
1.6 ratio roller rockers
Fully ported Plenum
Smog pump removal
Throttle body coolant Bypass
MSD6AL ignition
Blaster 2 coil
Gutted Airbox
N20 Fogger Nitrous system, 225 HP jetting

Transmission Modifications
4l60 4 Speed automatic transmission
Corvette servo
Heavy duty front pump
Full kevlar bands
Stage 1 shift kit
Lockup 2400 stall converter
Selectable manual operation valvebody

Exhaust Modifactions
Hedman Shorty 1 5/8" headers
Hedman Y pipe
Catco 3" inlet/outlet cat
3" exhaust cutout
Flowmaster catback with 4th Gen Camaro Tailpipes

Rearend/Suspension/Tire Modifications
3.73 Gears
Torsen Torque Sensing rear differential
Aluminum rear drum brakes
Poly swaybar bushings
Lakewood LCA's with poly bushings
Poly Transmission mount
Kumho 712 Z rated 255/50-16 tires
BFG 255/50-16 Drag Radials for dragstrip use
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cras really used to be my thing. Not so much any more. I've never been in an accident.

I love driving- I much prefer travelling by car rather than travelling by plane.

There are 10 kinds of people in the world- Those that understand binary, and those who don't.

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2005, 8:27 pm

Sweeeeeeeeeeet.

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

NoMore
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2005, 8:31 pm

AWESOME car!! !! !! !! !! !! !

vetivert
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2005, 3:18 am

fiat uno, old bugger, but goes like a go-ey thing.

i should definitely not be allowed behind the wheel of a car like a fiat - you HAVE to drive in a vroomy way in a fiat.

however, the smaller the car, the better - i don't like having a car, as i'm a bit of an eco bod. but then, i'd never get anywhere, as i find public transport difficult, and often can't go on foot, in case i have a bit of a freak (this has happened - meltdown about 10 mins walk from my house. it was a nightmare). and i seem not to be able to get it together to ride a bike. sigh. i shall now wander off and beat myself to a pulp for polluting the planet...
:cry:

Sanityisoverrated
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2005, 4:13 am

If I DID drive however, it would be a toss up between the 60s Batmobile or a GMC Custom Van ala the A-Team.

No wait- Inspector Gadgets car from the cartoon... that was SWEET.

Or how about Optimus Prime? Does he count? He's a big rig truck thing...

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2005, 4:16 am

/me just wants a lovely 2006 Mustang to own and look at.

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

ml05
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

25 May 2005, 7:31 am

I love driving and cars are my thing. I have a 1990 Olsmobile 98 that I drive daily when I am at home and between my dad and me we have 3 cars that are for restoration and or sale. A cherryish 1987 Dodge van with a 360 and low oil pressure(for sale). a nice but non-running 89 GMC S-15 Jimmy and my project for now a 76 Buick Century. My dad drives a beat to heck Suzuki Sidekick. Sorry for the classified ad but these things need to go so they can be replaced.

codeman38
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Jun 2005, 2:10 pm

A bit of an update:

Well, I've kept practicing driving... and I'm practically ready to give up now.

Even with the tinted lenses, I still make incredibly stupid mistakes, and still get so visually overloaded trying to process everything that's going on around me that I miss important things like stop signs and intersections. How do people notice all this stuff just automatically?!

Endersdragon
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2005, 2:20 pm

I am not a huge fan of driving but I did get my license (about a year and a quarter past my 16th birthday.) And only driven twice since. And as for doing stupid things in drivers ed I nearly hit a car but the instructor let off the brake too (it was just past a stop sign) so he didnt think it was there either (basically I tried going after Car A past me but it was hiding a Car B which I and him almost didnt see) so he couldnt really be mad lol. And I hated one of my drivers ed instructors (I drove with like 3 people) she always paniced me so much and the cars were so crappy (like a Daewoo and stuff) an she would yell every time I got 3 miles over the speed limit and even took control of the steering wheel once.

ma_137
Toucan
Toucan

26 Jun 2005, 5:03 pm

I love the T/A man!! !! finally, another car enthusiast on WP! I too am a car enthusiast. I drive an old volvo. 1989 740 turbo. Like yours, not a single bolt has been left untouched . Anyway, I think cars and driving may be one of my obsessions. I love turbos. Without further ado, here are my specs...not as extensive as yours, but I'm getting there.

Engine Mods

Ported, Polished Re-ground 531 head.
9.5:1 Compression
60/63 Ported t3 Turbo @ 20psi
Intercooler Alcohol Spritz
Megasquirt N Spark
550CC Injectors
4.0 Bar FPR
3" Exhaust
Gauges
Saab APC Boost Controller
Cheapie AZ intake
MSD Coil
"A" Camshaft

Drivetrain Mods
Honda tranny fluid (only place you can find dexron 1)
Volvo "big" driveshaft and bushings
4:10 rear end (for track runs)

Internal Mods
3 10" MTX Subwoofers
1400w Amp
240w Headunit
Infiniti 60w Midrange Speakers
3" Infiniti Tweeters
Trunk Mounted MP3 PC With 30gb of Music

I'm thinking about spraying like you as well. Its obvious you've got a built block there, so 250shot....Well thats alot! I only want to spray a 150 shot at most. Anyway, spectacular ride man!

rumio
Toucan
Toucan

26 Jun 2005, 5:41 pm

VW Polo 1.4 CL

didn't drive until age 26 as i was too scared but I'm pretty good now and I generally amaze people with my navigation skills

rearden
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

26 Jun 2005, 5:43 pm

ma_137 wrote:
I love the T/A man!! !! finally, another car enthusiast on WP! I too am a car enthusiast. I drive an old volvo. 1989 740 turbo. Like yours, not a single bolt has been left untouched . Anyway, I think cars and driving may be one of my obsessions. I love turbos. Without further ado, here are my specs...not as extensive as yours, but I'm getting there.

I like those cars! They make great sleepers; nobody expects to have their doors blown off by a Volvo. :D

I used to have an '88 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe with a 2.3l 4-banger. Stock it put out 190hp/240tq, I just had a better intake and bumped the boost up an extra 3 psi (15->18 ). It was a fun car, especially with the stick shift.

Ironically it had all kinds of lower midrange power (it'd easily burn thru first gear and break the tires loose if I punched it in second), but not much top end. On the other hand my current car ('93 Lincoln Mark VIII, 4.6 DOHC V8, 280hp, 285tq) is a complete dog off the line, but hauls ass past 30 mph and pulls hardest from 4000-6000 rpm. It feels more like a turbocharged engine than my actual turbo engine did!

Sean
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2005, 9:28 pm

rumio wrote:
VW Polo 1.4 CL

8O There's weedwhackers with bigger engines! :lol:

Bec
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2005, 3:08 am

I don't drive yet, but this weekend my aunt is taking me driving for the first time. We'll see if I like it or not. If I did have a license, I would want to drive a Mini Cooper. I love those cars.

Sean
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2005, 4:02 am

Bec wrote:
I don't drive yet, but this weekend my aunt is taking me driving for the first time. We'll see if I like it or not. If I did have a license, I would want to drive a Mini Cooper. I love those cars.

Do you have a permit? If not, I'd hurry up and get one if I were you.