Do you drive? What do you drive? What are your experiences?

Page 4 of 5 [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

ajs_line_of_silver
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Sep 2005, 6:46 am

I drive a 20 year old Toyota which is probly a good thing. I have had 7 crashes, 3 on my L the 1 time I had them, 1 the second time I hade my L, then 2 on my P plats and 1 after I hade my full licence. Never with passengers never a major injury the only car that survived was the Toyota in the last crash (the only one that was not really my fault). Have not crashed for 1 year now. Part of my problem is distance and sped judging which I have never bean good at. But what surprises me is that all of those crashes were while completely sober in every way and when I was younger I took some stupid risks when I started to drive I have only driven drunk like 3 times but the second time I hade my L and through most of my Ps I was driving stoned 90% of the time I have even driven under the influence of chemical hallucinogens. Getting home alive when u are melting thro the car floor surprising when I cant even do it with all my senses workin.

ma_137
Toucan
Toucan

19 Sep 2005, 12:10 pm

Nomaken wrote:
I want a car that looks like hell in a handbasket on the outside and the inside is well tuned and powerful.

Me too. I love sleepers. I'm trying to do that right now, but for some strange reasons, I keep going through engines and turbochargers like mad

SpaceCase
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2005, 12:50 pm

I have a learning permit,and I drive my Mom's red YUCON.I am kinda bad at intersections and I ahve problems on turning.

-SpaceCase :(

P.S.Next year ,I'm getting a car.

Lurker_Extraordinaire
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Nov 2005, 2:10 pm

I looooooooooove driving....and more recently, motorcycling.
Not a very coordinated or graceful person but I connect with machines very naturally and am able to operate them with grace and precision.
Able to predict what others driver are going to do with a great deal of accuracy. I kinda make a game of it.
I'm very, VERY focused when I'm driving (kinda robotic like). My thought are much more organized when I'm behind the wheel.
Technicaly I speed...but I like to think od as whats comfortable for me.... But ONLY when I'm behind the wheel. Don't really like riding in cars.

My current ride:

03 VW Jetta wagon TDi

Lurker_Extraordinaire
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Nov 2005, 7:31 pm

rearden wrote:
Anybody here into motorcycles? I took a motorcycle class and enjoyed it quite a bit. I bought a '90 Suzuki GSXR1100 with a 1216cc engine and all kinds of other upgrades. The more rational choice would be to start out with something like a 600cc, but I got too good of a deal to pass up, from a friend who I know took very good care of it. I'm easing myself into riding it more and more. I'm still nervous about being out in the open and dealing with traffic, plus the ridiculous amount of power takes some getting used to. But it sure is a blast!

Yes!! !! !

Most recent obsession going 1 3/4 years strong.
Riden almost 20,000 miles in that time

Got an 05 Yamaha FJR1300 abs on 7/29 which I use as my everyday bike and I also have a 1998 Moto Guzzi Centauro Sport V10 which is my project/weird, uncommon, potentialy collectable machine. Before the 2 I have now, I had a Moto Guzzi Breva 750 (which I learned on) and an 03 Moto Guzzi V11 LeMans

Anachronism
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Nov 2005, 9:11 pm

ma_137 wrote:
I'm thinking about spraying like you as well. Its obvious you've got a built block there, so 250shot....Well thats alot! I only want to spray a 150 shot at most. Anyway, spectacular ride man!

Thanks. Believe it or not, but the block is stock.

It handles so much nitrous because the engine itself is actually pretty mild. Compared to what I could be running for a cam, the LT4 is very very tame. It has the tiniest bit of lope, but most people would mistake it for a stock camshaft when they hear it run. Stock heads too, which don't flow all that well.

It was very important to me to impact street manners as little as possible, so I figured I would make the difference up with nitrous. It leaves me with a car I can drive everyday, that turns into a tremendoes amount of fun when I want it to.

Also, keep in mind that with a larger engine, it is easier to run more N20. A 225 shot on a 350 flows less nitrous per cylinder than a 125 shot does on a 4 banger. A 5.8 liter engine has over 3 times the displacement to spread the N20 around than a 1.8 liter mill does.

I'm not one of those guys that will tell you how displacement is everything, because I've had my clock cleaned by enough DSM's to know that isn't the case. But, when looking at nitrous, the extra space makes it a lot more accomodating to run more squeeze.

Plus, nothin beats a good nitrous hit. You simply can't do it on street tires. I've put the car sideways at 80 mph from a nitrous hit that started boiling off the tires.

Before I rebuilt the bottom end, I ran a 125-150 shot. With drag radials and the right prep (read TRACKBITE laid down on the tires), I could dead hook hitting the nitrous at the line. People always thought I was lifting the front tires (I wasn't, but was pretty close) because it launched so hard and the front end would unload the shocks each time with weight transfer. I was beating AWD DSM's dumping the clutch at redline out of the hole.

Nitrous is fun, but I also have the turbo bug, just because it becomes a long night once the bottle is empty.

There are 10 kinds of people in the world- Those that understand binary, and those who don't.

Anachronism
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Nov 2005, 9:15 pm

Also, how well does the megasquirt work? I'm thinking about switching over to it.

How hard it building the board and getting a baseline tune? I hear you can also program a megasquirt to go to a different map when nitrous is engaged, and therefore allow you to supply the extra fuel via the injectors. This would be nice, as I have a pretty poor manifold setup for fuel distrubution- the front cylinders take more N20 and fuel than the back. Fixing that by making the system dry (yet accurately managed) would really help.

There are 10 kinds of people in the world- Those that understand binary, and those who don't.

Twitch
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Nov 2005, 11:03 pm

I don't drive. I can't drive worth shite. And I hate driving. Thankfully I live in a city. I don't care if I ever drive. My girlfriend can drive passably well but doesn't enjoy it. I just feel it will be a life of buses for us. All the better.

A note. You don't want me and my lack of depth perception/failure to pay full attention/getting lost in the details alongside the road, self on your highways. Be glad that I'm content with the bus. If I weren't I'd probably kill someone, or myself, if I could ever pass the driving test. Not likely. And guess what? I don't care. I don't need a two ton shining penis.

"In what concerns you much, do not think that you have companions: know that you are alone in the world."

Henry David Thoreau

Jetson
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2005, 2:55 am

Jetson wrote:
So aside from a few dings to the company van and one totalled BMW, I've been pretty good with cars.

Update: I had a small "oops" with my Ducati this summer and did about $6000 worth of damage ($4000 to the bike, $1500 to the car it hit after I fell down and slid on the pavement, and $500 to my riding gear). It's amazing how fast things add up. The damage didn't look very bad at all.

Ladysmokeater
Veteran
Veteran

Location: North of Atlanta, South of Boston, East of the Mississippi, and West of the Atlantic

27 Nov 2005, 4:02 am

my POV is a minivan. 10 yrs old and 200,000+ miles, long may she rev......

My other car is a FIRE TRUCK!
(2004 Pierce. International chassie, allison transmission, 1000 gal water, 1250GPM top mount pump.... 3 man cab, 1100 ft 5"LDH, 2 top mount 1 3/4" pre connects with 200 feet of atttack line, bumper mounted 1 3/4" "trash line", dump valve in rear of truck, 17KW generator, extendable lights on the pump panel, NFPA compliant red lights, Centaur hydrolic extracation tools, Scott airpacks, and a host of other equiptment that is for fighting fires and helping injured people!) Hooah!

Ladysmokeater
Veteran
Veteran

Location: North of Atlanta, South of Boston, East of the Mississippi, and West of the Atlantic

27 Nov 2005, 4:03 am

my POV is a minivan. 10 yrs old and 200,000+ miles, long may she rev......

My other car is a FIRE TRUCK!
(2004 Pierce. International chassie, allison transmission, 1000 gal water, 1250GPM top mount pump.... 3 man cab, 1100 ft 5"LDH, 2 top mount 1 3/4" pre connects with 200 feet of atttack line, bumper mounted 1 3/4" "trash line", dump valve in rear of truck, 17KW generator, extendable lights on the pump panel, NFPA compliant red lights, Centaur hydrolic extracation tools, Scott airpacks, and a host of other equiptment that is for fighting fires and helping injured people!) Hooah!

PhoenixKitten
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2005, 6:42 am

twitch wrote:
I don't need a two ton shining penis.

For some reason I think I've missed something...

Sean
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2005, 6:53 am

PhoenixKitten wrote:
twitch wrote:
I don't need a two ton shining penis.

For some reason I think I've missed something...

That makes two of us! :?

Twitch
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Nov 2005, 10:00 am

LOL I keep forgetting that nobody gets my metaphors. I'm talking of the car as status symbol. Pretty much something in the lieu of people with big cars are making up for something *wink wink nudge nudge* Just the product of a disturbed mind, feel free to ignore.

"In what concerns you much, do not think that you have companions: know that you are alone in the world."

Henry David Thoreau

crossover
Butterfly
Butterfly

07 Aug 2015, 4:47 pm

i've had drivers permit for almost two years and still haven't gotten lisence yet. i've taken the test twice but didn't pass either time. sometimes i get a bad feeling that i'll never pass, and sometimes thinking about it makes me cry. i really wanna be able to drive well enough to get my lisence since public transportation is unreliable. i wanna become more independent but not being able to drive well enough makes me feel helpless. anyone else having similar problems