Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

JakeG
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2007, 6:52 am

...posted yesterday regarding someone's views on diagnosed vs. self-diagnosed?

It had some interesting points raised; I hope it wasn't closed just because someone flamed and insulted me for no reason thereby embarrasing themselves.

Kosmonaut
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2007, 7:45 am

Real aspies don't get embarassed.

Sopho
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2007, 8:04 am

I get embarrassed

Mitch8817
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2007, 8:04 am

Me too. It's a human thing, not a non-Aspie thing. Get real.

Kosmonaut
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2007, 8:10 am

:D
I know.
You are too easy.
edit: i don't get embarrased though. It seems to me to be a waste of time.
Pointless.

Sopho
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2007, 8:14 am

Logically, it seems to me to be a waste of time as well. But I can't help it. I think it's the same with anyone; they know it's usually pointless, but they get embarrassed anyway. It's annoying either way :D

Kosmonaut
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2007, 8:23 am

My 'theory of mind' is so poor i cannot comprehend embarrassment.
It seems to me to be something to do with shame, guilt and a lack of self-esteem.
But like i say, i have no idea. It's no good for me to even try to understand it.

Im still laughing at the 'Get Real' comment.
I did not know aspies said such things, what does it mean? Is it an NT thing?

Sopho
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2007, 8:29 am

I don't really know what 'get real' means, it's probably mainly an NT thing but I don't know. I've definitely heard it used before though, I just don't really know what it means.

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2007, 8:32 am

JakeG wrote:
...posted yesterday regarding someone's views on diagnosed vs. self-diagnosed?

It had some interesting points raised; I hope it wasn't closed just because someone flamed and insulted me for no reason thereby embarrasing themselves.

Jake,

Get over yourself! Frankly, I didn't and don't care. NOTHING new was said there!

Steve

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2007, 8:33 am

I’ve only felt embarrassment a couple of times in the past; mainly in primary school. Everything else I experienced that I felt should have produced embarrassment brought forth something that’s an equivalent to shame, something that is totally out of place for the situation and something that felt close to fear.

I don’t understand the “meaning” of self-esteem and that lovely word “confidence”.

"Get real" means, uh.... It's like that lovely saying "'...pull up your socks!'" Ah...they are? I think I'm real....

*SHRUG* It's a confusing place "out there". :wink:

Sopho
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2007, 8:36 am

I usually get embarrassed about things that other people wouldn't, and things that would embarrass others don't seem to have that affect on me. I think it's mainly since I worked out I had a lot more problems with communicating that I had previously thought. I definitely get embarrassed about things though. Although a lot of Aspies probably experience it in different ways or not at all.

Kosmonaut
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2007, 8:40 am

Danielismyname wrote:
I
I don’t understand the “meaning” of self-esteem and that lovely word “confidence”.

Yes.
Self-esteem i used to think was just a meaningless term used to give people ( you, me) a reason to feel bad about themselves. I am still not quite sure.
But when i feel good, for no reason, then i think my self-esteem is high.
If i am feeling bad, for no reason, then it is due to poor self-esteem.
I think there may be a circular argument here, but i am not going to think too much about it.

Anyway, confidence is easier.
I can understand that. It is just being aware that you are able to perform a specific task at an unconscious level.

Sopho
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2007, 8:42 am

I need more confidence apparently. :? Don't know where I'm going to get it from though.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2007, 8:52 am

Confidence is uh...can't you feel, or better yet, be full of confidence yet you're completely unable to perform said task?

I understand when you know you can do something...but people still unholster their confidence (verbally) when they've no chance of doing said task.

Man it's a confusing world out there, I can see why I don't put much thought into these...uh, what are they called exactly?

E: Actually, I think some of these are called "figures of speech". That means absolutely nothing to me....

Kosmonaut
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2007, 8:56 am

If you are confident about doing a task, but are completely unable to do it, then you are stupid ( or have just made an accident, error, mistake).

To be confident about doing something completely new to you is nonsensical.
But with practise once you have done the task a few times and were successful, then you will feel confident next time you have to do it.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2007, 8:59 am

So they're just stupid...I always think the best of people, i.e., I'm the idiot for not understanding them....

Well, this has been enlightening.