Page 3 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2016, 3:04 pm

QuantumChemist wrote:
They called me a super :nerdy: for being able to do that.
Yeah, well, I'm impressed. I think I would wear my pocket protector proudly. :)

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13
Aspie Quiz -- 186 out of 200
AQ: 42
AQ-10: 8.8

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2016, 9:02 am

zkydz wrote:
QuantumChemist wrote:

Well, yes and no. Unfortunately, one of the graduate students that failed those cumes was a favorite of my research advisor. He took it out on me, as he felt that there was no way that I should have passed the exam when his star failed it. I got pulled into his office and lambasted for an hour over the cume exam. This was probably the starting point of the problems that I had with a particular research advisor, as he wanted to personally "weed out" the prospects a bit (including me). He told me to never take his cume exams because he would never pass me on them regardless on what I wrote on the exam. Having him say that to my face was not a good thing. All I wanted to do was to pass the cumes and move on to the next stage in the game so that I could earn my PhD.

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2016, 9:13 am

QuantumChemist wrote:
zkydz wrote:
QuantumChemist wrote:

Well, yes and no. Unfortunately, one of the graduate students that failed those cumes was a favorite of my research advisor. He took it out on me, as he felt that there was no way that I should have passed the exam when his star failed it. I got pulled into his office and lambasted for an hour over the cume exam. This was probably the starting point of the problems that I had with a particular research advisor, as he wanted to personally "weed out" the prospects a bit (including me). He told me to never take his cume exams because he would never pass me on them regardless on what I wrote on the exam. Having him say that to my face was not a good thing. All I wanted to do was to pass the cumes and move on to the next stage in the game so that I could earn my PhD.
Bad professors are everywhere. The ones that rule by fear are the worst. I don't get it. I've caught people cheating, but I could prove it. I never accused. I always ask if they can explain it to my satisfaction.

I am glad you pulled through that though. Kudos to you!! :salut: :salut:

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2016, 10:00 am

No, I'm not, I understand concepts the easiest and preferably delivered in writing, in a dry and factual manner. I'm completely incapable and unwilling to watch a 20-30 min youtube video full of fluff and unnecessary and exaggerated gestures meant to create a "bond" with the audience for 10 min of content that I could easily read in 2 min. Myself liking the person or not has absolutely nothing to do with agreeing with their ideas (or not), and it's the kind of "trick" that is more prone to attract my contempt and distrust. If your ideas have any value they don't need a sparkly packaging and the whole thing makes you look like a crook (ok, this turned into a rant :lol: )

Here I avoid like the pest threads where people post a string of videos and images without bothering to even explain their position.

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2016, 10:16 am

BenderRodriguez wrote:
No, I'm not, I understand concepts the easiest and preferably delivered in writing, in a dry and factual manner. I'm completely incapable and unwilling to watch a 20-30 min youtube video full of fluff and unnecessary and exaggerated gestures meant to create a "bond" with the audience for 10 min of content that I could easily read in 2 min. Myself liking the person or not has absolutely nothing to do with agreeing with their ideas (or not), and it's the kind of "trick" that is more prone to attract my contempt and distrust. If your ideas have any value they don't need a sparkly packaging and the whole thing makes you look like a crook (ok, this turned into a rant :lol: )

Here I avoid like the pest threads where people post a string of videos and images without bothering to even explain their position.
I try to find the YouTube videos that follow this format:
1.) demonstrate what they will be going over
2.) will do it in a manner that is moduled and explained not only what they are doing, but why it is working. If I can't get the why, I can;t build concepts or really grok it.
3.) show what mistakes to look out for
4. Will go in depth on every part, even if it is review....Repetition is key when learning new concepts.

It is a very effective teaching method. The ones that do the arm waving and all as you describe really tick me off. If I want to be entertained, I'll watch a documentary.

But, many, many of them are bad. The noise to signal ratio is getting larger and larger, crowding out the good information.

Worse, sometimes you can go down wrong roads if they are teaching outdated methods or worse, wrong version of things. I had to learn Flash twice because I was studying 2.0 when I should have been studying 3.0. Rally lost time on that.

Just not coherent.

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2016, 10:25 am

^
I get it, it just works very differently for me. Give me the most arid and technical manual and I'm happy :lol: Even when it comes to instructions on how to fix/assemble something etc, and I prefer them in writing... seems to be the best way for me to understand something.

I do enjoy watching films, videos, pictures etc for entertainment or aesthetic reasons though.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2016, 10:36 am

http://www.phschool.com/eteach/social_s ... essay.html
This essay claims that 65% of the population consists of visual learners.

LupaLuna
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2016, 1:57 pm

BTDT wrote:
http://www.phschool.com/eteach/social_studies/2003_05/essay.html

Well, if 65% of the population are visual learners. Then why doesn't the school system use a visual system of learning in the first place. After all. 65% is greater then 50%, and that said. The school system should've naturally gravitated towards that system of learning in the first place.

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2016, 2:00 pm

LupaLuna wrote:
BTDT wrote:
http://www.phschool.com/eteach/social_studies/2003_05/essay.html

Well, if 65% of the population are visual learners. Then why doesn't the school system use a visual system of learning in the first place. After all. 65% is greater then 50%, and that said. The school system should've naturally gravitated towards that system of learning in the first place.
Because our educational system is fubar'd beyond belief with everybody using their pet theories every year to yank a nation's chain.

There is so much wrong with our system, from trying to make everybody feel good just for doing nothing and then trying to shoehorn everybody into a calculation of metrics that really have no bearing on things.

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13

electrictype
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Apr 2016, 2:28 pm

I am a visual learner but I'll sometimes also need auditory aid to fully understand what I'm looking at.