Page 1 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Sylvastor
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2016, 2:31 pm

Yes, I am a visual learner and thinker as well.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2016, 3:13 pm

I'm also a visual learner and I'm also HFA.

quelo
Butterfly
Butterfly

19 Apr 2016, 5:38 pm

Visual learner here too. Everything I know is associated with an image, even the days of the week have an image attached to them (moday is a half moon, tuesday is a bugger, wednesday a mosquito, etc, don't ask why, I don't know).

It's a good era to live in, as everything seems to be going more visual each day thanks to technology.

This_Space_Intentionally_Left_Blank
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Apr 2016, 6:42 pm

We are all different but I am extremely visual and I have a lot of difficulty learning from a lecture or a book, I have to go through the motions.

I don't really understand a topic until I am solving problems and I can visualise the problem and the solutions. I have also discovered that many people can't do this as well as I can. I am able to visualise heat transfer, fluid flows and complex mechanics problems with much less difficulty than most of my peers. There were some topics I've studied that were impossible for me to visualise. I can calculate the second moment of inertia for pretty much any shape but I can't tell you what it means because I can’t see it in my head. Luckily I studied engineering and managed to muddle through these issues with the ninja like mathematics skills I developed solving so many visual problems.

christophelambypie
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

19 Apr 2016, 8:28 pm

This_Space_Intentionally_Left_Blank wrote:
We are all different but I am extremely visual and I have a lot of difficulty learning from a lecture or a book, I have to go through the motions.

I don't really understand a topic until I am solving problems and I can visualise the problem and the solutions. I have also discovered that many people can't do this as well as I can. I am able to visualise heat transfer, fluid flows and complex mechanics problems with much less difficulty than most of my peers.

Hey this is me!!
Have no patience for books, except if they are accompanied by pictures and lectures and auditory information just give me a headache.
Also I can visualise magnetic fields and electical current transference, along with fluidic currents( have a natural obsession with rivers and the eddys they produce)
Always thought I was alone in that!! ! Awesome :D

AnaHitori
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2016, 8:43 pm

I'm a pretty good visual learner, and extremely horrible at verbal learning.

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2016, 9:04 pm

christophelambypie wrote:

I don't really understand a topic until I am solving problems and I can visualise the problem and the solutions. I have also discovered that many people can't do this as well as I can. I am able to visualise heat transfer, fluid flows and complex mechanics problems with much less difficulty than most of my peers.

Hey this is me!!
Have no patience for books, except if they are accompanied by pictures and lectures and auditory information just give me a headache.
Also I can visualise magnetic fields and electical current transference, along with fluidic currents( have a natural obsession with rivers and the eddys they produce)
Always thought I was alone in that!! ! Awesome :D
I haven't mastered the maths skills you guys have yet, but the process both of you describe is me to a 't'.

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13
Aspie Quiz -- 186 out of 200
AQ: 42
AQ-10: 8.8

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2016, 7:09 pm

I don't know. I can learn easily in Verbal and visual I can visualize a problem but not as any specific thing I just stare into space.

Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Apr 2016, 7:57 pm

Reading this today made me think of three dimensional magnetic fields interacting and turbulent fluid flows. Thinking visually made my head get quiet and my heart rate dropped.

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2016, 8:16 pm

Reading this today made me think of three dimensional magnetic fields interacting and turbulent fluid flows. Thinking visually made my head get quiet and my heart rate dropped.
Huh....About two months or so ago, I stopped being able to do that 'zone out thing' due to stress. It's just beginning to come back in fits and starts. But it is when I am visually solving things. My stress really started to get exponentially bad when I couldn't do that anymore.

Now that it is coming back, It does relax me. I didn't put two and two together until I saw your post.

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13

TheAvenger161173
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Apr 2016, 11:24 pm

I've been trying to learn Spanish for months, really struggling as its a dvd(auditory) The course is a short one and have hardly picked anything up. Could I be a visual learner? How can I tell?

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2016, 11:32 pm

For me, it's an auditory thing. I am sure there are other issues too. But I know the vocal processing and other auditory issues are part of the problem.

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2016, 10:19 am

I am a very visual learner. If I can visualize verbal information, it becomes so much easier for me to learn. In grad school, we had to pass a certain number of cume exams to move on to the next stage. Unfortunately, we often did not know what the topic of the exam was until the week of the exam. That meant being able to read, comprehend, memorize and be able to replicate the information from usually 300-500 pages of journal research article pages within that time frame. I passed all of the ones that I could visualize the concepts for, which was enough to move on to the next step towards the PhD. The ones I failed were topics that I had a hard time visualizing for some reason or another.

helloarchy
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

21 Apr 2016, 11:04 am

As far as I understood it, science debunked learning styles. I kinda think its bull sh**. We use all of our senses all the time, focusing more on certain senses depending on the situation (taste for eating, sound for music/listening, etc.).

Criticism on wikipedia.

Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Apr 2016, 11:29 am

QuantumChemist wrote:
I am a very visual learner. If I can visualize verbal information, it becomes so much easier for me to learn. In grad school, we had to pass a certain number of cume exams to move on to the next stage. Unfortunately, we often did not know what the topic of the exam was until the week of the exam. That meant being able to read, comprehend, memorize and be able to replicate the information from usually 300-500 pages of journal research article pages within that time frame. I passed all of the ones that I could visualize the concepts for, which was enough to move on to the next step towards the PhD. The ones I failed were topics that I had a hard time visualizing for some reason or another.

Wow, well done! The not knowing what, and only having a week would have sunk me.

How do you manage to visually learn from 300-500 pages research journal articles though? I find they are usually written in a way that I can’t focus on without great effort. Not easy to visualize.

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2016, 1:00 pm

helloarchy wrote:
As far as I understood it, science debunked learning styles. I kinda think its bull sh**. We use all of our senses all the time, focusing more on certain senses depending on the situation (taste for eating, sound for music/listening, etc.).

Criticism on wikipedia.
I've actually read that and have problems with the methodology. It does not take into account that different subjects, within different people, will have different requirements.

I think I mentioned before that I learn primarily visually. But that does not suit all things. Numbers, problems of that nature require to work visually. But when it comes to learning things like history, give me a good lecture any day with a person who is not a drone....Bueller, Beuller, Beuller......

Somethings I can hear and just get it. I could sit in my English classes and draw posters. The teachers could not get why I could draw, but still hear the lecture. They would try to catch me. Most times it didn't work. The drawing was an automatic thing for the most part. I passed all my tests. But, I couldn't do that in other classes. They interested me too much. Like Science classes. That got my full attention. But I always had to rely on some sort of diagram of the mind to grok the material completely. I had to know where the cell walls were and the ribosomes and nucleus and all those goofy things. It it wasn't a billboard in my mind, I lost it....gone....

And, when the good lectures like history are there, I get pictures in my mind that cement the knowledge.

Now, I don't know if I came out as for or against, but that should not surprise anybody.

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13