Been in/considered/tried Peace Corps or Americorps/VISTA ?

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2007, 1:56 pm

Has anyone here ever been in , or tried to join , the American organizations the Peace Corps , or Americorps , either its " regular " version or Americorps-VISTA ???????????
( I know that there are similar organizations in other countries , but I am an American , and so I am referring to the U. S. ones .
However , this could apply to the s. o. i. o. c. as well . )
I had made an attempt to join Americorps-VISTA a wys back , but it didn't quite follow up...Long story .
Recently , I saw an ad in a San Francisco paper promoting the " regular " ( non-VISTA ) version of Americorps .

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2007, 5:37 pm

Can't say that I have.

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

NeoPlatonist
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Apr 2007, 8:22 pm

I did a three month Americorps service a couple summers ago. It was in my hometown so I lived at home and it was pretty much like any other job apart from the bad pay. I worked as a construction assistant at Habitat which was very rewarding. I would recommend it.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

27 Apr 2007, 10:47 pm

ive always wanted to teach people to wash there hands and how to grochery shop, i think you have to be super smart or patriotic to join though

NeoPlatonist
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Apr 2007, 3:13 pm

VISTA, as I understand it, is more of a management type job where you are placed with an organization to help increase their efficiency, capacity, etc. You help them set up systems and such. It is more of an educated position.

Regular Americorps is for pretty much anyone as far as I know. When I started with Habitat I wasn't too much more than a strong back and pickup truck diver for them, which they needed plenty of. I think they pretty much assume that they'll be giving you on-the-job training.

Lobber
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Apr 2007, 6:24 pm

I was in the CCC for about 4 months

(")(")
Cuddly Bunny

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2007, 9:57 pm

...Perhaps you're right , I guess , re Vista , NP...The thing is , I'm in my 40s , don't have a college degree...I wanted to get " sent away " , too , kind of .
I'll say more later .

hyperbolic
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2007, 11:49 pm

Quote:
I was in the CCC for about 4 months

Cool! Thanks for your dedication to our country! (This makes you about 70-80 years old too, I suppose.)

colonel1fan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Apr 2007, 11:53 pm

I plan on going into the Peace Corps after I get my Bachelor's Degree. It's something I've always wanted to do. I keep trying to apply but the last date they give me is when i'll be at school so i'll have to wait a bit to apply. I hope to be sent to Eastern Europe or somewhere in Asia. I want to see the world and experience other cultures and at the same time help people. and i would rather do it before i get a job and between undergrad and grad school. I think it would be fun.

Lobber
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Apr 2007, 11:00 am

California Conservation Corps

(")(")
Cuddly Bunny

blacktext
Raven
Raven

29 Apr 2007, 10:13 pm

I would have loved to join the Peace Corps. The only problems are you can't choose your assignment, and with the war in Iraq the worldwide perception of Americans is at a low. Not a great time to represent the US overseas. I also dislike the narrowness of the selection process. They seem to only select trained professionals, unlike government organizations such as the military which will take a raw recruit and mode them into a trained soldier. Too bad developmental assistance isn't as much of a priority.

Ticker
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2007, 1:21 am

Knew a guy who joined the Peace Corp. For one thing they won't take anyone over 23.

Forget what you've heard the Corp is. Its now a place to send juvenile delinquents. He said as a guy you can look forward to someone beating you up every day and the females are guaranteed to get raped repeatedly. Its a dangerous group for an Aspie if the NT's can barely survive it.

mikh07
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2007, 2:27 am

Ticker wrote:
Knew a guy who joined the Peace Corp. For one thing they won't take anyone over 23.

Forget what you've heard the Corp is. Its now a place to send juvenile delinquents. He said as a guy you can look forward to someone beating you up every day and the females are guaranteed to get raped repeatedly. Its a dangerous group for an Aspie if the NT's can barely survive it.
holy f**k, seriously? ...

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2007, 5:55 pm

...Is Ticker referring , possibly , to Americorps - more specifically the " regular " version that I was talking about , the non-VISTA version , which I think is the kind that NeoPlatonist was referring to ?????????
The " normal " version .
The thing is , in posting about this on another ( non-Aspie ) site ) , I think someone said similar - though not quite as heavvy a warning ! !! !! !! !! - about AmC " normal " being something of a J. D. refuge these days .

TimT
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Apr 2007, 8:12 pm

How about the Salvation Army? I'm a canteen truck driver for emergency runs. However, they have needs for people to help out in their inner city relief organizations.

If you want to be a tourist on my taxes, Americorps would be possible.