What's everyone's least favorite movie?

Page 2 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

aspiesavant
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2016, 5:05 am

Kenya wrote:
As much as I might get lynched for this, I really hate Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.

What about the Tim Burton remake with Johhny Depp?!

JakeASD
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2016, 5:14 am

Whilst it may not be one of the worst films ever made, Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland was amongst the most disappointing.

I felt like I was watching someone play a truly dreadful video game.

aspiesavant
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2016, 5:21 am

JakeASD wrote:
Whilst it may not be one of the worst films ever made, Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland was amongst the most disappointing.

I felt like I was watching someone play a truly dreadful video game.

Ironically, American McGee's 2000 video game adaptation of Alice in Wonderland is far better than Tim Burton's, far darker and one of the best video games ever made! It's a shame Burton didn't use any of it as inspiration for his movie!

Here's the trailer :

Kenya
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2016, 12:34 pm

aspiesavant wrote:
Kenya wrote:
As much as I might get lynched for this, I really hate Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.

What about the Tim Burton remake with Johnny Depp?!

I actually like that one a lot better as I feel like it stayed closer to the source material while also having enough changes to make it its own entity. I thought the Oompa Loompas were adorable, I liked how some of the characters were updated like Violet Beauregarde and Mike Teavee, I really liked the Oompa Loompa songs that were taken directly from the book, each one with its own unique style (unlike the Oompa Loompa song from Willy Wonka that was repetitive and annoying), I found it cool how they gave Wonka more of a backstory to explain how he became this eccentric, reclusive shut-in, and the visuals were really amazing (but then again with someone like Tim Burton what else would you expect). At the same time, though, I know it's not perfect. Johnny Depp's Willy Wonka could get grating after a while, but there were also several moments from him that I found genuinely enjoyable. I'm of the very controversial opinion that neither Gene Wilder nor Johnny Depp properly portrayed the Wonka I remember from the book. They each focused on separate aspects of him, but focused too hard on those aspects to the point where it was overwhelming. Wilder focused more on the charming and whimsical side to the point where I found it to be uncomfortable. The way he said the line "2 naughty, nasty little children gone. 3 good, sweet little children left" sounded super pedo to me even as a kid watching it. Depp, on the other hand, put more focus on the eccentric and wacky side which would eventually get grating. I also really hate when people say that Depp's Wonka didn't care for the children's safety. Did you even see Wilder's Wonka? He wasn't exactly the poster child for concern either. In my opinion, the proper Wonka would have to be a combination of both Wilder and Depp's portrayals in equal amounts. This is partially why I believe that the Nostalgia Critic's "Black Willy Wonka" from his videos is the best portrayal of Wonka caught on camera.

aspiesavant
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2016, 2:18 am

Kenya wrote:
(but then again with someone like Tim Burton what else would you expect).

I guess that's a relative thing...

I used to be a Burton fan, but I do feel like he's lost his touch ever since his big screw-up with Planet of the Apes.

I can't say any of the films he made during the last 15 years managed to excite me the same way Beetlejuice, Batman, Edward Scissorhands or Ed Wood did.

I was especially disappointed with his version of Alice In Wonderland, considering how he completely ignored American McGee's wonderfully psychotic videogame adaptation, which IMO would have made the perfect source material for any Burton film :

Kenya wrote:
I'm of the very controversial opinion that neither Gene Wilder nor Johnny Depp properly portrayed the Wonka I remember from the book.

That's a controversial opinion?!

Anyway, "Nostalgia Critic" Doug Walker seems to agree with you :

Kenya wrote:
This is partially why I believe that the Nostalgia Critic's "Black Willy Wonka" from his videos is the best portrayal of Wonka caught on camera.

I'm not sure what you're talking about.
I tend to appreciate his comedy reviews, save for the skits... which I tend to skip when they get too long.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2016, 1:28 pm

Transformers.

Kenya
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2016, 3:29 pm

aspiesavant wrote:
I used to be a Burton fan, but I do feel like he's lost his touch ever since his big screw-up with Planet of the Apes.

Everyone I know has this extreme hatred towards that movie, but I personally find myself indifferent to it. There's no way I can defend it as a good film when compared to its predecessor, but I found a few things to enjoy about it. For one thing, the ape make-up is absolutely phenomenal. This movie is 15 years old and it still holds up, even looking more realistic than the motion capture apes in the newer movies. I remember seeing a portion of the 1968 Planet Of The Apes and even as a little kid I could tell that I was looking at a person in a monkey suit, but here they look soo life-like. Secondly, Tim Roth was entertaining as the villain, though it kind of sucks that he gave up the role of Severus Snape for this, but what can you do? Finally, I didn't mind the ending that much. O.K. O.K. I'm not going to act like it was perfect, but I could at least appreciate that it was trying to remain faithful to the book. The 1968 version just executed the plot twist soo perfectly that there was no way to even top it. Overall, Tim Burton's Planet Of The Apes just falls under the "meh" category for me.

Earthbound
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2016, 5:20 pm

I really don't know my least favorite movie. I tend to not focus on stuff I dislike or hate, and do my best to focus on stuff I enjoy. It makes life so much easier, in my view.

Austinfrom1995
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2016, 1:34 am

The Bay Transformer films, for spitting in the face of the source material.

DancingCorpse
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2016, 11:47 am

The Thing remake is a decent enough film by itself but I am a massive fan of the original The Thing and I can't accept that remake as a legitimate entity, nothing should have been touched because the original is a perfect film and there's no soul or energy in the remake of it, it isn't exactly offensive but it's not very evocative.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2016, 2:58 pm

The entire Transformers series directed by Michael Bay.

Question: Does anyone think that the Transformers movies would have been better if they were directed
by Roland Emmerich? IMO, Emmerich knows how to make a crappy movie more entertaining than that hack Bay.

Kenya
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2016, 5:31 pm

DancingCorpse wrote:
The Thing remake is a decent enough film by itself but I am a massive fan of the original The Thing and I can't accept that remake as a legitimate entity, nothing should have been touched because the original is a perfect film and there's no soul or energy in the remake of it, it isn't exactly offensive but it's not very evocative.

Something kind of funny is that the "original" John Carpenter one was already a remake of a classic 50s Sci-Fi movie called The Thing From Another World. So The Thing has actually been remade twice.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2016, 3:28 am

aspiesavant wrote:
Kenya wrote:

i never have seen the original with wilder in its entirety, but i never really understood why poeple disliked the 2005 movie so much.

i think this movie was true to the original while still having that extra creative license to actually make it worth watching. the oompa loompas in this film are a lot easier on the eyes than in wilder's and the chocolate waterfall area looks much more delicious and appealing....but to be fair technology had advanced 34 years....so it was to be expected.

i actually liked the mysterious, generic bland grey cityscape environment the film takes place in early on. like it could be anywhere, it makes charlie's shack stand out even more. i liked wonka's backstory segments and the bit of his father being a dentist.

wonka was a bit feminine looking, but i did not mind that at all. it's only normal to be so pale when you're in a factory all your adult life.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Kenya
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2016, 8:05 am

Kiprobalhato wrote:
aspiesavant wrote:
Kenya wrote:

i never have seen the original with wilder in its entirety, but i never really understood why poeple disliked the 2005 movie so much.

i think this movie was true to the original while still having that extra creative license to actually make it worth watching. the oompa loompas in this film are a lot easier on the eyes than in wilder's and the chocolate waterfall area looks much more delicious and appealing....but to be fair technology had advanced 34 years....so it was to be expected.

i actually liked the mysterious, generic bland grey cityscape environment the film takes place in early on. like it could be anywhere, it makes charlie's shack stand out even more. i liked wonka's backstory segments and the bit of his father being a dentist.

wonka was a bit feminine looking, but i did not mind that at all. it's only normal to be so pale when you're in a factory all your adult life.

I think I've made a friend. :D

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2016, 3:07 pm

AnonymousAnonymous wrote:
The entire Transformers series directed by Michael Bay.

Question: Does anyone think that the Transformers movies would have been better if they were directed
by Roland Emmerich? IMO, Emmerich knows how to make a crappy movie more entertaining than that hack Bay.

Emmerich is an excellent director. His movies are always very well-made.

BluSun
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

28 Apr 2016, 3:33 pm

Also, the stop motion animation 1980's Wind in the Willows. The stuff of nightmares.