Recently Self-diagnosed... Thank GOD I am AS!!

Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

giaam
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Apr 2007, 6:18 am

Supernootz wrote:
So, even without officially being diagnosed, I KNOW I'm an Aspie, too. I do have a couple of questions though. Some things about me that people notice that I haven't read are symptoms of AS. I'd like to see if any of you also go through these.

First, my friends tell me I'm funny. This usually happens when I'm not trying to be! I'm totally serious about something and the whole room is cracking up. The opposite happens, too. If I try to be funny I get a room of black stares and silence. Now THAT is uncomfortable.

Another thing I've noticed is that I don't mind to chat with strangers, or acquantances I don't know very well. (Only one on one... uncomfortable in crowds or larger groups). But the closer I get to someone (family is the worst) I don't want much to do with them. It is a chore and a bore talking to anyone I know well. I dread holidays more than anything! Fortunately, I have a job that requires working weekends/holidays so I try to always work instead of getting together for a gathering.

Welcome! Iknow what you mean and can relate to much of what you said. Earlier this month (April) I got asked to work 'good friday' I said I would, and asked 'when is it?' Someone said 'after Thursday'- Everyone just erupted in fits of laughter. I meant the date obviously. I find that I'm almost comfortable with aquiantances, less so with family, either way I hate 'small talk' (why do we call it this?). Prefer just to be on my own to do my own thing.
Anyway, enjoy WP :nerdy:

cecilfienkelstien
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2007, 9:50 am

Welcome :D Im the same way with the humour. It can be just so embaresing :oops: I have the same sort of things in group situations where i feel out of place and like I can't crack the code :oops: But we Aspies have to take it one day at a time 8)

Neuromancer
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2007, 7:31 pm

Oh, I can see you have really good reasons to look for a diagnosis, I thought you could be looking for it just by curiosity, vanity or other futile motif, but it is not the case.

Do you play chess only at the net, or also out of it? ICC?

Have you just elaborated a theory about AS? Before I kew aboutit I used to believe I was the only aspie in the word, although not named like this, and I believed my brain had been perfected by the transposition of buffers usually used to face recognitions and other to the reasonin area :-) well, I used to conjecture about some variations around a theme.

My chess oppenings knowledge is very worst than my overall game, do the same happen to you?

Oh, good chances that your wife is aspie too, despite her feelings.

Neuromancer
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2007, 7:42 pm

Juggernaut wrote:
another issue with humor
People tell me I am hilarious.
But when I tell "jokes" which I think are hilarious, people look at me and groan.
Why?

I believe we laugh at contents, meanwhile NTs laugh socially, it is to say, they convention that after some signals it will be time of laughing.

Bad TV shows explore NT humour, they end phrases with laughs that will be followed by NTs laughs, we used to do that when we were children, laughindg when everybody laughed, and, in fact, we still do the same, anyway we look for a reason to laugh, like a funny phrase, this is treason why we don't have humour sense. Talking about this topic among aspies AND NTs together would be, I guess, extremelly fun, although both groups would laugh alternatelly; seems to me a great theme for a play.

Neuromancer
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2007, 7:49 pm

PseudointellectualHorse wrote:
... I've just got to find my own pathway, which is often different from the pathway everyone else is taking. Of course this is difficult, because my actions may seem absurd to other people,... :wink:

I believe this defines what is to be an aspie: to try to be yourself; we cannot be what we are not!